This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

TestStudio_Ultimate_2019_2_0619_1_Trial.msi Customizations Not Working

5 Answers 66 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Carl
Top achievements
Rank 1
Carl asked on 08 Aug 2019, 07:37 PM

Good Afternoon,

I've downloaded offline installer "TestStudio_Ultimate_2019_2_0619_1_Trial.msi" and chose "Customize", disabled all VS Extensions ("Will Not Be Installed"), and ran the installer.  Noticed that the VS Extensions were loaded anyway (VS 2017 is on my machine).

This is more of a heads-up and to confirm that this is a bug.   Please advise.

Best Regards,

Carl Eric McMillin

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Plamen Mitrev
Telerik team
answered on 09 Aug 2019, 12:26 PM
Hello Carl,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our knowledge. I immediately tried to reproduce it on my end, on 2 machines, following the steps below:
  1. Uninstalled Test Studio completely from Control Panel.
  2. Checked the available extension in my Visual Studio installation (I use VS 2017 professional). The Telerik Test Studio extensions were all removed successfully.
  3. Downloaded the latest .msi installation (same version as yours) and customized it. I disabled the whole Visual Studio section completely and completed the installation.

The only extension that was added to my VS 2017 was the Telerik.TestingFramework. This is expected, because this is not part of the Test Studio plugin, but the actual framework. Please let me know if that was the case for you also, or you continue to see the Test Studio extensions.

There should be a Date Installed value for every extension in Visual Studio (see attached screenshot) and you can check if they are not from a previous installation. One more thing that could be causing the issue, is if the extensions are not removed during Test Studio uninstall.

I will appreciate if you can get back to me with more details on the misbehavior and I will be happy to continue investigating it. Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,
Plamen Mitrev
Progress Telerik

The New Release of Telerik Test Studio Is Here! Download, install,
and send us your feedback!
Carl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Aug 2019, 02:40 PM

Good Morning Plamen,

Thanks for responding so quickly.  I had a bad install by web-installer prior to 08/08/2019, but confirmed that the installation was rolled back and extensions were removed.  I also determined that the current extension install date was 08/08 and that it appeared right after I used the offline installer (choosing to disable all extension installs).

Thanks Again,

Best Regards,

Carl Eric McMillin

Plamen Mitrev
Telerik team
answered on 12 Aug 2019, 08:25 AM
Hello Carl,

Thank you for the additional details about the encountered misbehavior. There are a few more things that might help me reproduce it on my end. Could you, please, let me know what:
- is the exact version and distribution of Visual Studio that you have (Professional or Enterprise)?
- is your Windows version and which build is it?

You should be able to manually remove the unwanted extensions, while I investigate the behavior further.

I appreciate your continuous cooperation in this discussion.

Regards,
Plamen Mitrev
Progress Telerik

Carl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Aug 2019, 09:26 PM

Good Afternoon Plamen,

Responding with VS and O/S versions:

- VS is 

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2017 
Version 15.9.14
VisualStudio.15.Release/15.9.14+28307.770
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.7.03056

Installed Version: Professional

- OS is Version 1803 (Build 17134.885) and is a DOD NMCI "image" (specializations according to Navy spec's)

Thanks Again,

Carl Eric McMillin

Plamen Mitrev
Telerik team
answered on 14 Aug 2019, 01:47 PM
Hi Carl,

Thank you for sharing details about your environment.

I found a machine with the same versions of VS and Windows in the office and tried to reproduce the misbehavior. The installation with removed VS extensions work as expected (see removeVSExtension.png). That said, we will continue our internal discussion with the engineering team and try to find the exact use case that causes the issue.

The workaround that is available to you, is to uninstall the Test Studio extensions manually from the Manage Extension wizard in Visual Studio.

Regards,
Plamen Mitrev
Progress Telerik

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Carl
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by