New Problem with 2011.1.712.0

6 posts, 0 answers
  1. Sebastian
    Sebastian avatar
    80 posts

Posted 22 Jul 2011 Link to this post

On older versions of Tests Studio / Web UI, when using "run to here", it would put me in record mode after the step I was running to.
    Now it wont record anything unless I go back and click, "record next step" or it will record the step in a random location in my test.
    THis drives me nuts.
    I like the way it was before.
    I would click, "run to here", and then I could just start recording and the step(s) would be inserted after the step I ran to.
  2. Plamen
    Admin
    Plamen avatar
    8 posts

Hello Sebastian,

I am using the same version as you and everything works fine. But I think I have been experiencing your problem before. I am assuming that after the execution your browser is still opened, but the recorder is not attached. Can you attach the recorder manually (see screenshot)?

Please check our online documentation here to see how to configure your browser and also try to remove all add-ons from it.

Please let me know if it works!

All the best,
    Plamen
    the Telerik team
    Register today for a live 'What's New in Test Studio R1 2011 SP2' event on Tuesday, July 19 at 2pm EST!

Have you looked at the new Online User Guide for Telerik Test Studio?
  3. Sebastian
    Sebastian avatar
    80 posts

If it wasn't attached I couldn't make it start recording by telling it to record after a step and then it works without reattaching.
    Also, it would not record in random places throughout the test.
    I may tell it to run to step 100 and it starts dropping new steps starting at step 75.
  4. Plamen
    Admin
    Plamen avatar
    8 posts

Posted 25 Jul 2011 Link to this post

Hi Sebastian,

I am sorry you are running into this, but I will need more information to be able to help.
    Have you tried the suggested steps to configure your browser, because this behaviour in most of the cases is related to it? I am attaching a video demonstrating this issue. The recorder can't connect to the browser because of the "Google Toolbar" add-on.

Are you seeing the recording toolbar at the top of the IE browser window(see screenshot)?
    If it is there press the "Reconfigure Recorder" button, which will try to restore the communication between Test Studio and the recording browser window.

Is this happening every time you are executing your tests "Run -> To Here" or it happens on a specific websites? If that is the case would you be able to point me to a public website and give me the necessary steps to reproduce this behavior?

A video showing this issue would be much appreciated. Jing  is a decent and free screen recorder. 

All the best,
    Plamen
    the Telerik team
    Register today for a live 'What's New in Test Studio R1 2011 SP2' event on Tuesday, July 19 at 2pm EST!

5. Sebastian
    Sebastian avatar
    80 posts

Posted 25 Jul 2011 Link to this post

My browser is fine.  I never had this problem running on an older version of Web UI, 2010.3.1213.0 if I recal the version number.

The new Test Studio 2011.1.624.0 is when the problems started.
    I upgraded to 2011.1.712.0 and it is still happening.  I'm running IE8. 
    The run to here issue doesn't happen all the time, just about 30% of the time.
    The browser attaches to Test Studio about 90 - 95% of the time.

6. Plamen
    Admin
    Plamen avatar
    8 posts

Posted 26 Jul 2011 Link to this post

Hi Sebastian,

I have checked the release note for version 2011.1.624, but I was not able to find anything that could have caused this problem. 

So far I have been unable to reproduce this problem. Is your application an HTML or a Silverlight application? Have you tried this on another machine to see if it is a problem on just the one specific machine? 

I would like you to send me the log from a "Run->Here" execution, but you have to clear it first.
    1. Go to the "Help" tab
    2. Click View Log
    3. Delete all the text and save
    Now, try to reproduce your problem and after the problem occurs, send me the contents of the log file. 

Kind regards,
    Plamen
    the Telerik team
    Check out the Test Studio roadmap to find out more about the new performance testing functionality coming in our R2 2011 release this September!