This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

missing browser extensions (Google Chrome Version 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit))

22 Answers 126 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Dmitry
Top achievements
Rank 1
Dmitry asked on 23 May 2017, 08:55 PM

When I am running tests (quick execution or testlists), occasionally Chrome says that one or more browser extensions are missing (the screenshot is attached). I installed all the extensions needed initially and this problem occurs 1/5 runs in total. It just happens. Randomly. I tried to disable->enable the extensions, tried to reinstall them, cleaned browser's cache, I did the same manipulations on both my virtual and physical machines. Test Studio's version is 2017.1.2017.0.
What's also interesting - it didn't occur before within the same project, I assume I started seeing this problem with the latest Test Studio version.
Nothing helped.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thank you in advance.

22 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Elena
Telerik team
answered on 26 May 2017, 11:26 AM
Hi Dmitry,

Thank you for the detailed description shared. 

The issue you occasionally observe is also reported by other customers recently. Unfortunately we are still not able to reproduce that on our end but will try to identify the root cause and implement a fix. Here is a public item in our feedback portal which you could follow for details on the progress of the investigation. 

Thanks for your understanding! 

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

The New Release of Telerik Test Studio Is Here! Download, install,
and send us your feedback!
Dmitry
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 May 2017, 06:20 PM
May be I could help somehow, providing some data, logs, you can contact if it helps
André
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 May 2017, 12:16 PM

We had and still have the same problem!! Now nearly no execution with Chrome works correctly. The updated version of Test Studio was no help at all.

This is an absolute basic function of a test automation and a deal breaker.

Elena
Telerik team
answered on 31 May 2017, 01:59 PM
Hello Dmitry, 

Thank you for your cooperation. Could you please upgrade to the latest official release issued yesterday and give it a try. In case the issue still persist do not hesitate to contact me again! 

@Matthias: Thank you for your feedback. Since there is an ongoing support ticket under your account I will continue the communication relating your case in it. Thank you! 

Thanks! 

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

Sam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 May 2017, 03:54 PM

Matthias isn't the only one having this problem so please post solutions back to this tread if possible.

We didn't have issues with chrome before the latest update. Now we're randomly getting the "missing extensions" message.

André
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 May 2017, 05:00 PM

Sam is right.

This is such a major issue. For one week it is impossible for us to work with telerik (chrome is needed). So we have no testing for our application. Worst-case possible.

Some weeks ago only some of the tests failed with chrome (10%?, still too much). But this week something changed (we changed nothing). More than 50% of all test cases fail with chrome. The update of today changed nearly nothing (now only one of two extensions is "missing"). What is even more annoying: When i click on the localhost-url and press enter, the site (missing extensions) reloads and the test starts. So it seems like a really really small technical problem with drastic consequences.

Dmitry
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 May 2017, 06:23 PM

Hello, Elena!

Unfortunately, the update hasn't helped, and as Matthias has described, now only one extension is said to need to be installed, a screenshot is attached.

Aaron
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Jun 2017, 11:21 AM

I can also confirm that I'm receiving the same issue Dmitry is having. Most of the time when executing Chrome, that is the window I'm being given. 

Refreshing the page does continue on and load the test properly, but for obvious reasons that is extremely inconvenient.

Elena
Telerik team
answered on 01 Jun 2017, 12:37 PM
Hello guys,

Thank you all for the valuable feedback! We are trying to identify the root cause for that behavior and to provide a fix for it. The main obstacle for us is that we could not reproduce the issue on our end to thoroughly investigate it. 

Therefore I would like to kindly ask for your assistance. Please double check all extensions enabled in Chrome and try to disable them leaving the Progress Execution and Recorder extensions only. If it turns out that this solves the issue please try to identify which could be the problem extension enabling them one by one.

I am looking forward to hearing your feedback on that topic. I appreciate your cooperation in advance! Thank you!

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

Sam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Jun 2017, 12:55 PM
I had already tried that and the problem still persists. I've now taken the additional step of deleting all extensions other than the two Progress ones to see if that makes a difference. 
André
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Jun 2017, 01:10 PM

Already checked before. No change.

Local PC -> no problems with chrome

All VMs -> problems

Did you try it on a VM with only chrome, Test Studio and a Run-Time installed?

Elena
Telerik team
answered on 01 Jun 2017, 02:57 PM
Hello guys,

I really appreciate your continuous cooperation on this case! 

We have investigated the issue and found a solution for it. It seems that the inconsistent behavior is based on the OS in use and the way how Chrome loads. As of now we have identified that it concerns Windows 7 machines.
The fix is implemented in the Execution extension and is already published in the Google store. Please double check if it is updated for you as well (the publish may be delayed depending on your location) - the new version of execution extension is 2017.2.530.1. Then give a try to the test list execution again. 

Please share your observations and let me know if there are still any issues. I am looking forward to hearing from you all! 

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

Elena
Telerik team
answered on 01 Jun 2017, 03:03 PM
Hello,

Sorry for the mistake - the version of extension is 2017.2.529.1. The difference from the previous version is the last digit only. 

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

Sam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Jun 2017, 05:06 PM

The systems I was seeing this problem on are running Windows 8.1.

I've updated the extension on 3 systems and they've all been running their scheduled lists without an issue so far.

Hopefully others will have the same luck. :)

Thanks!

Aaron
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Jun 2017, 06:36 PM
I also seem to be back up and running normal. Thanks!
Dmitry
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Jun 2017, 07:28 PM

Hello!

Unfortunately, it did not help me, I installed the latest extension (screenshot proves it) and the problem remains, by the way, I had this problem on my local Win10 machine, please keep me posted on any progress.

André
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Jun 2017, 06:24 AM

It seems that this solved our problem (first ten tests).

Thank you very much.

André
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Jun 2017, 08:31 AM
[quote]Matthias said:

It seems that this solved our problem (first ten tests).

Thank you very much.

[/quote]

Unfortunatly the problem isn't solved completely. Maybe 10% of the tests show the same problem.

Elena
Telerik team
answered on 05 Jun 2017, 07:32 AM
Hello guys,

Thank you all for the cooperation and sharing your feedback! 

I am glad to hear some of you do not face any issues anymore.

For the rest who still has some issues I would like to inform you that we are still working on the case and as soon as possible we will introduce solution for the inconsistent behavior. 

I would like to kindly ask to allow us some more time for investigation. Once there is any news on the topic I will get back to you with the respective information! 

Thank you in advance for your understanding! 

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

André
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Jun 2017, 11:15 AM
Seems like we could solve this problem (maybe):

We observed that everytime we had problems with loading a website or with a dialog the icon of the browser was blinking (orange). It seemed like the browser was not in the foreground and could not operate correctly. Why does the browser sometimes open visible on the desktop, but still technically in the background? No idea, but we opened regedit:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop 
“ForgroundFlashCount” to "0" 
Start your VM again.

Now the browser always opens in foreground and can operate correctly.
André
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Jun 2017, 11:49 AM

A little correction:

The problem with the missing extension still exists (unfortunately, after testing 30 cases), but we solved a lot of our problems with test cases that only run to the third or fourth step.

Elena
Telerik team
answered on 12 Jun 2017, 07:33 AM
Hello,

@Matthias: Please refer to the private communication thread you have submitted on the topic for further information. 

@Dmitry: Please let  me know few details more.
- Do you observe the issue while running the test lists remotely or locally? 
- Are there any other extensions enabled in Chrome? Have you tried to disable them during execution? Would that change anything in the observed behavior? 

Please also give a try to the following: Increase the ClientReadyTimeout in the General tab in the Test List Settings. The default value is 60000 and I would like you to set it at least to 120000 ms. Please let me know if that would change anything in the execution. 

Thank you all for the cooperation! 

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Dmitry
Top achievements
Rank 1