This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

2011 version side-by-side install

4 Answers 65 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Shashi
Top achievements
Rank 1
Shashi asked on 13 May 2011, 07:53 PM
Hello,

Is there a way I can install the 2011 version on the same machine as the 2010 version?  It doesn't appear that is possible as I get a prompt during install on whether I should upgrade my existing version to 2011.

I am one of 3 people on my team who are developing automated tests.  We all currently have the 2010 R3 version - I have the Developer while the other two have QA.  I would like to test the 2011 version with our project and tests before asking the other team members to upgrade to it.  But while I am checking it out, I need to also be able to do other work in the old version.  Also, if I upgrade, my project file and perhaps my test files get upgraded and then I don't think they can be be used by the other team members with the old version.

If I cannot do a side-by-side install, do you have any other recommendations (other than getting a separate machine) to accomplish the above?  Also, if you do not have a side-by-side install option, could you consider adding it - I am pretty sure there are other people in this situation.

Thanks,
Shashi

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 16 May 2011, 11:36 AM
Hello Shashi,

Thank you for contacting us.

You are absolutely correct in your assumption -- new tests created by the 2011.1 version cannot be loaded with the previous one.

You can evaluate the new version on a separate, either physical or virtual machine. That is best with respect to evaluation.

I'd also recommend running the latest internal build as we fixed a couple of issues you may run into trying the official one.

All the best,
Konstantin Petkov
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get now >>

Shashi
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 May 2011, 12:13 AM
I installed the Trial version of the build you mentioned (2011.1.511.0) on a separate computer and tried to run some of my tests after they were upgraded.  I am encountering the same issue that has been reported on many posts in this and the Test Studio forum - I cannot connect to the site under test (I believe the Navigate to statement is never executed or is failing). 

I have tried running both my test and the sample test with the stand-alone version of Test Studio and get the same results.

This is also happening when I run the SimpleGoogleSearch.aii sample test. 

I am also unable to connect the recorder to an existing browser instance in both an existing aii test as well as a new .tstest file. 

I have gone through and changed settings as specified in http://www.telerik.com/automated-testing-tools/support/kb/unable-to-launch-recorder.aspx.  I have also uninstalled and installed WebUI 2011 trial version twice.  I am using IE7 and Visual Studio 2010.

Please note that all my tests are running fine with the 2010 R3 version on another computer - I haven't tried going to this version on the new computer; however, I have previously installed the 2011 version on the other computer and got the same results (the problems went away when I went back to the 2010 R3 version).

Please let me know what I can do to fix this issue.

Thanks,
Shashi
Stoich
Telerik team
answered on 18 May 2011, 12:23 PM
Hi Shashi,
      could you please open a support ticket for this issue so that we may exchange confidential data. Unlike forum threads, support tickets are completely confidential.

Kind regards,
Stoich
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get now >>

Shashi
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 May 2011, 04:02 PM
I have logged ticket 425811 for the issue.  Please note that I have logged it against the Visual Studio plug-in because that is what I predominantly use.  However, the problem occurs in the stand-alone version as well.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Thanks,
Shashi
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Shashi
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
Shashi