This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Unable to locate element

1 Answer 49 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Chloe
Top achievements
Rank 1
Chloe asked on 19 Mar 2014, 03:46 PM
Hi,

I am having trouble getting a test to run where it is unable to locate an element and i have exhausted all options to get this to work, the error is as follows:

​Unable to locate element. Details: Attempting to find [Silverlight] element using
Find logic
 (Html): [id 'Exact' xamlobject] AND [tagname 'Exact' object]
 (Silverlight): [name 'Exact' 10494f45-a2f2-4ffd-b565-d2f5f30172da] AND [XamlTag 'Exact' customlayoutcontrol][XamlPath 'Exact' /layoutgroup[1]/layoutgroup[0]/layoutitem[1]/layoutitempanel[0]/dxcontentpresenter[0]/contentpresenter[0]/hyperlinkedit[0]/grid[0]/textedit[automationid=EditHyperLink]/contentcontrol[name=PART_Root]/grid[0]/contentpresenter[0]/grid[0]/editorcontrol[name=PART_Content]/sltextbox[automationid=PART_Editor]/border[0]/scrollviewer[automationid=ContentElement]/grid[name=Grid]/scrollcontentpresenter[name=ScrollContentPresenter]/textboxview[0]]Unable to locate element. Search failed!Learn more about finding elements here:
http://www.telerik.com/automated-testing-tools/support/documentation/user-guide/troubleshooting_guide/test-execution-problems/unable-to-locate-element.aspx

I know there are several other threads for similar things and i have followed all the advice i found both in these threads and on the trouble shooting guide and none of them appear to be working in this instance. I have tried adding various waits and execution delays and have extended the silverlight timeout. I do also have enable silverlight turned on in the test properties.

I am using version 2013.2.1327.0

Hope you can help!

Chloe Beavis

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
0
Velin Koychev
Telerik team
answered on 24 Mar 2014, 02:01 PM
Hello Chloe,

I am sorry to hear that  you are experiencing this issue.
 
It seems that the find logic that you are using might include a part that is dynamic. I guess that this part changes every time you execute the test:  name 'Exact' 10494f45-a2f2-4ffd-b565-d2f5f30172da
You might need to replace this part of the find expression. 

In some specific cases, you might need to use chained find expressions. I can also recommend you to watch here a short video tutorial on using chained find expressions to make your tests more flexible and robust. 

Here is another article about the best practises for element identification. 

If none of these suggestions help, please provide us with a copy of your test and if it is possible grant us access to your application so we can reproduce the issue on our end and give you a solution.

If direct access is not possible, capture a Fiddler trace and attach it to this support ticket in a zip file. If you are unfamiliar with how to do so, this link will provide you with step-by-step instructions for download and use. If taking a Fiddler trace please be sure to:
1. Click Clear Cache first
2. Check Store binaries
3. Check Decrypt HTTPS traffic

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
Velin Koychev
Telerik
 
The New Release of Telerik Test Studio Is Here! Download, install,
and send us your feedback!
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Chloe
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Velin Koychev
Telerik team
Share this question
or