Yes that is doable, as long as the second browser window being opened is the same browser type as the first window i.e. if you start in IE then IE is the second window, if you start in Firefox then Firefox is the second window. One word of caution, Test Studio does not support tabbed browsing in IE. Please make sure that tabbed browsing is disabled in IE as documented here: Pop-ups Open in a New Window. Also we don't support the case where a different browser type will be launched by the application i.e. IE -> Firefox.
Assuming your case is fully supported by Test Studio per what I described above then you should have no problems creating your test like this:
- Manually launch IE with your recorder attached
- Manually navigate to the starting page
- Perform whatever steps are necessary to make the second window popup. These steps should be recorded automatically by Test Studio
- When the second browser window opens Test Studio should record a "Connect to popup" test step as the next step
- Next you can manually add a Wait For Url test step.
This should give you what you're looking for. Let me know if I can be of further assistance, of if I misunderstood your test automation needs.