How to Connect Test Studio to TFS2019 with Visual studio Team explorer for Source Control

1 Answer 158 Views
Azure DevOps General Discussions
Jonathan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jonathan asked on 13 Jan 2022, 07:28 PM

Hello,

My development team currently uses TFS2019 as their repository for all of their code. They use TFVC as their version control, not Git, and use TFS2019 as their CI tool. We do not currently have plans to move to Git.

Unfortunately, I am on a test team, which has separate access requirements from the development team, and I do not have access to Visual Studio 2019 but I do have access to Team explorer. Reading through the Test Studio documentation posted online, it seems I need to install Visual Studio Team explorer 2008 or 2010. Currently, on my machine, I have Visual Studio Team explorer 2019 and I can connect directly to my TFS server and commit changes through Team Explorer 2019, however, I keep running into a TF30063 error, see images 1 and 2 below, when trying to access my TFS server from Test studio.  

Is there a possibility to use a newer version of Team explorer such as 2017 or 2019, or do we absolutely have to use 2008 or 2010 to connect to TFS through Telerik Test studio?

Image 1. With Telerik Test studio open to the Project I am using, connect to TFS using the values below.

Image 2: when selecting the TFS project, Telerik Test Studio, I receive the TF30063 error, stating that I am an unauthorized user.

Thanks,

Jonathan

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Plamen Mitrev
Telerik team
answered on 18 Jan 2022, 09:56 AM

Hello Jonathan,

You have an open support ticket, where we are discussing this issue in more details. I will update this public forum post with the latest suggestions and findings from the ticket, so someone else can find this information and hopefully resolve their issue.

• Double check your credentials and try again.
  • Install Visual Studio or Team Explorer on your machine. You can install later versions of Visual Studio or Team Explorer, it is not a hard requirement to have specific versions (like 2008 or 2010).
  • Try to connect to the same folder in TFS from Visuals Studio, Team Explorer or VS Code.
  • I found some suggestion on the internet that could also be helpful. You can explore them with the IT team on your end and discuss this behavior with them. They might have an idea for something that could be specific to your environment and security policies. 
  • Test Studio uses the Windows Authentication, meaning that it tries to connect you to TFS based on your Windows user credentials. If you use different credentials to login to TFS, that could cause the authorization issue that you experienced. The solution would be to use the Windows Authentication for TFS, so Test Studio can send that information and authorize the access. 

Our discussion is still ongoing, until the issue is resolve or we know what is causing it. Thank you for your continuous cooperation!

Regards,
Plamen Mitrev
Progress Telerik

Virtual Classroom, the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products quickly just got a fresh new look + new and improved content including a brand new Test Studio course! Check it out at https://learn.telerik.com/.
Tags
Azure DevOps General Discussions
Asked by
Jonathan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Plamen Mitrev
Telerik team
Share this question
or