Thank you for notifying us about the outdated info in the article, we'll fix that as soon as possible. In the meantime you can try the following steps:
1. Create a project and add two tests: Parent and Child.
2. Set the InheritParentDataSource
property of the child test to True.
3. Open the Parent test.
4. Bind the parent test to a local or external data source.
5. Click Record
and navigate to a random word generator site
6. Perform an Extraction on the word.
7. Edit the DataBindVariableName
for the Extract step.
8. Open the Child test.
9. Record steps that navigate to www.bing.com, enter a search query, and click the submit button.
10. Bind the variable to the Enter Text
step. Simply expand the Value dropdown, enter the name of the Extracted variable and press Enter. Then click on the 'Set' button.
11. Go to the project tab and click on the Save button.
12. Load the Parent test again.
13. Add the Child test to it via the Test as Step feature.
14. Execute the Parent test.
15. The random word is extracted in the Parent test and used as the search query in the Child test.
The following video demonstrates the whole process:
The sample project is also attached. Please let me know if you need further assistance.
the Telerik team
Are you enjoying Test Studio? We’d appreciate your vote in the ATI automation awards.