This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Empty Element Explorer in Visual Studio 2010

7 Answers 151 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Shane
Top achievements
Rank 1
Shane asked on 08 Aug 2013, 12:55 PM
Hi,

We have just upgraded to the latest version of Test Studio 2013 R1 but we have come across a couple of minor issues I was wondering if you could help us with.

Firstly the element repository explorer is empty in Visual studio ( see attached image ) although the tests run fin and the Pages.g.cs file appears to compile correctly.

Also the connection to TFS appears not to save in the settings file.  Every time we open up Test Studio we have to reconfigure the TFS settings again. Is this a known issue?

Thanks
Shane

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Mario
Telerik team
answered on 12 Aug 2013, 11:12 PM
Hello Shane,

Thank you for contacting Telerik Support.

With regards to the first issue of an empty elements explorer in VS 2010, can you please confirm what edition of Visual Studio you are using? I recently logged this bug for the same behavior with VS 2012 Professional edition but had not yet confirmed whether it extended to VS 2010 as well. If not, please provide a full description of system specifications including your exact installation of Windows and Visual Studio (a screenshot from the Help -> 'About Microsoft Visual Studio' menu would be ideal).

As for the second issue when you say "open up Test Studio", are you referring to the TFS plug-in in Test Studio standalone? I just want to clear up any confusion since the first issue deals with our VS plug-in. In any case, I don't believe the issue is known. The information above should help me to investigate further but could you also record a Jing video just so I'm clear on the exact behavior?

Regards,
Mario
Telerik
The New Release of Telerik Test Studio Is Here! Download, install,
and send us your feedback!
Shane
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Aug 2013, 09:57 AM
Hi Mario,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been out of the office for a few days.

I have attached 2 files:

1 ) Images containing screen captures of my system info and VS 2010 version as requested.

2) A video containing what happens each time we open the Test Studio standalone and the process we need to go through to ensure we are working under the TFS source control.

Also it takes 10 minutes to open the project after I have rebooted my PC - it never used to take this long - any ideas?

Thanks
Shane
Mario
Telerik team
answered on 19 Aug 2013, 10:05 PM
Hello Shane,

It appears that the issue mentioned in my previous reply which affects VS 2012 Professional can also be seen in VS 2010 Professional. I am waiting on a response from our developers about this, however due to logistics I will likely not see one until tomorrow.

Upgrading your edition of Visual Studio 2010 to Premium or Ultimate will certainly work around the problem. If this is not possible, seeing as the feedback item mentioned above has been resolved and its fix included in a custom build, in the mean time I suggest installing the build offered in our Feedback Portal thread (make sure to completely uninstall first). If you do so please let me know whether it helps.

As for experiencing extreme slowness when opening your project, I am not aware of any existing issue which behaves this way. In order to troubleshoot we would need a copy of your entire project to reproduce the behavior locally. Seeing as this is a public thread, if you would like to provide it to us privately, please consider submitting a support ticket and simply reference this forum thread (#724631) anywhere in the description.

Regards,
Mario
Telerik
Shane
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Aug 2013, 09:15 AM
Hi Mario,

Unfortunately, upgrading our Visual Studio to Premium is not an option at £2000 per licence.  I will attempt the custom build you have provided, but can you please confirm that it will fix both the Empty Element Explorer issue and the Losing TFS Connection Details issue?

Our project currently sits at 110MB ( 40MB when zipped ) and your ticket portal only allows up to 20MB.  Please advise where you would like me to post the project to.

Thanks
Shane
Mario
Telerik team
answered on 21 Aug 2013, 03:59 PM
Hello Shane,

I completely understand. Our dev team has just confirmed for me that the custom build I provided you will fix the elements explorer issue with VS 2010 Professional. An internal build will also be publicly released by next week which contains this fix among several others which I strongly suggest moving to once it is available.

I cannot confirm yet as to the TFS connection loss issue, could you please clear and generate a fresh Test Studio application log of this behavior for us to examine, reenacting the entire process form your video while logging? Thanks in advanced.

As for uploading your project, considering its size a couple options would be to send us a DropBox link or I can setup a private FTP with password credentials for you once you submit a ticket for the issue.

Regards,
Mario
Telerik
Shane
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Aug 2013, 04:36 PM
Hi Mario,

I have logged the support ticket as requested REF: 728931

Please also find attached the application log file

Thanks
Shane
Mario
Telerik team
answered on 26 Aug 2013, 06:18 PM
Hello Shane,

Thanks for providing the log.

Please try to recreate the mapping for this RMDB project. Test Studio standalone itself is unable to change this mapping, it can be done in Visual Studio using the Source Control Explorer. Let me know whether there is any difference once doing so.

Regards,
Mario
Telerik
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Shane
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by