Let’s face it. Developer certifications have a bad reputation in the developer community. Unfortunately, they got devalued over time by pressing “Return on Investment” business priorities–companies kept passing more and more people to meet sales quotas. The bar either kept dropping down or you were given courseware to study with exact questions.
In addition, our industry as a whole stopped certifying knowledge you should have acquired on real life projects. The college model of book study and exam was replicated. The industry was merely certifying your ability to memorize information. That’s such pre-Google thinking.
I’ll be first to admit that I earned my Microsoft Solution Developer certification some 10 years ago by cramming each exam in two weeks study time. I had passed all requirements, but in real life I had never developed and deployed a .NET app. Still, it looked good on my resume.
Stories such as this one forced us to think differently when we started considering Telerik Kendo UI certifications. I am very happy to announce the very first set of Kendo UI Certifications
How is Kendo UI certification different?
- It is a short, intense and hard test. Passing grade is 95% in 30 minutes for 50 hands-on questions.
- Testing will continue to be hard. If we notice that too many people are passing, we’ll make it harder.
- There is no book to memorize to pass the test. Check out our demos, blogs and documentation.
What are the benefits of being Kendo UI Certified?
- It's a certification that actually means something.
- You get a very cool logo you can use for your twitter, LinkedIn or business card.
- You become a part of a select few. Should we say more? We’ll invite you to a certified developer-only group on LinkedIn. We’ll reach out to this select group every so often when we have some cool Kendo UI related stuff--such as code or a panel on the future of Kendo UI development.
- A shirt (of course) saying you are Kendo UI certified. Should we ever introduce a second test (Dan 2), we are thinking of belts you can proudly display in the office.
- You can suggest questions for the exam. We want real-life questions. Tricky questions. Hard questions. In this way, we hope you will help us maintain the quality of that "certified" group.
To learn more about Kendo UI Developer Certification, as well as a plethora of other news we announced at TelerikNEXT about NativeScript, Screen Builder, Kendo UI for Office 365 and so on, please sign up for our TelerikNEXT Online Webinar at www.telerik.com/TelerikNEXTOnline. (May 13, 2015. 11:00 ET)