The ArtOfTest.Runner.exe is installed in your Test Studio installation directory. The default location is:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Test Studio\Bin
When working with the execution engine in the command prompt, make sure you always are running as Administrator and have the root directory in context as shown below so that you can call the runner directly.
Add Path to Environment Variables
It can get tedious to always have to navigate to the Bin directory each time you want to call the execution engine. A great workaround is to register this path with Windows so that you can call ArtOfTest.Runner.exe from any directory within the command prompt.
- To do this, right mouse click on Computer and select Properties.
- After the System screen appears, select Advanced system settings.
- This will open the System Properties window. Select the Advanced tab and then the Environment Variables button.
- Under the System variables section, scroll down and highlight the Path variable. Click the Edit button.
- In the Edit screen, append the path to the Bin directory to the end of the string that already exists in the Variable value text box (with a semicolon before the path). In this example, I added ";C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Test Studio\Bin - Notice that I added a semicolon to separate the previous path from the path to the ArtOfTest.Runner.exe directory.
- Click the OK button. You now have access to the execution engine from any directory on your computer. Make sure you start a new instance of the command prompt to get the updated variables.
Here is the Help Screen for ArtOfTest.Runner.exe:
Execution options modify command line test execution behavior. The help file (displayed by inputting ArtOfTest.Runner.exe -help from the command line) provides a brief explanation of each option. Here are some further notes about specific options.
Several execution options use file paths as values. When using file paths in the command prompt:
- Enclose the file path in double quotes.
- To prevent typing mistakes, use the clipboard paste option within the command prompt window. To find the paste option after copying the path to the clipboard, right mouse click on the top left corner of the command prompt and choose Edit > Paste.
- The test option takes the full path to an individual test file with the .tstest file extension. This file will be located in your main project directory and under any folder structure you have created to organize your tests. You can use the test option by itself. By default, results will be stored in the Results folder under the project’s root directory.
ArtOfTest.Runner Test Execution syntax
ArtOfTest.Runner Test Execution result
- The list option takes the full path to a test list file with the .aiilist file extension. This option provides for the execution of a test list which has many tests inside it. All test lists for your project can be found in the test list folder under your project root folder. You can use the test option by itself. By default, results will be stored in the Results folder under the project’s root directory. For more information about test lists, see Test Lists, Test List Settings, and Dynamic Test Lists.
ArtOfTest.Runner Test List Execution syntax
ArtOfTest.Runner Test List Execution result
- The settings option takes the full path to a settings file with the .xml file extension. The format of this file is similar to the app.config file, and overrides the settings contained in that file.
ArtOfTest.Runner returns an exit code so the Build Server can check for it on process exit in case of an exception:
|0 ||RUN_TESTS_SUCCESS |
|Run is processed and all tests passed. |
|RUN_TESTS_ERROR ||Run is processed and some tests failed. |
|NOT_RUN_UNEXPECTED_ERROR ||Run is not processed due to unexpected error. |
|NOT_RUN_COMPILATION_ERROR ||Run is not processed due to compilation errors. |
|No run to process, requested usage info. |
|No run to process due to general invalid arguments error. |
|NOT_RUN_TEST_NOT_FOUND ||Run is not processed due to invalid test path argument. |
|NOT_RUN_TESTLIST_NOT_FOUND ||Run is not processed due to invalid test list path argument. |
Telerik Test Runner
The Telerik Test Runner application is a graphic user interface for the ArtOfTest.Runner command line application. You can download it here.
With the Telerik Test Runner, you can locate a test in your file system, configure the test and run it without using Test Studio or the command line.
Click the Configure button to select the project root folder, output location, and any custom config file.