Sharing on social networks has become a very powerful tool to make your website popular and to boost its traffic. We have made it easy to allow people to share content on social networks and via email by creating the new RadSocialShare control for ASP.NET AJAX. The control will officially be available in the Q3 2011 release later this month, but you can test drive it now in the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q3 2011 BETA.
- Allows sharing the current page or a custom URL on different social networks.
You can easily customize the sharing content – both the URL and title of the shared content are controlled by simple server properties.
- Offers two types of sharing buttons – styled and standard third party buttons.
You could use styled buttons (created by us and served from the web application):
or standard third party popular buttons as follows (created by the social networks and served by them):
The third party buttons such as Facebook, Twitter and Google +1 are implemented in XHTML compliant code and also allow easy configuration by using server properties.
- Compact popup with filter capabilities to save space.
Having too many sharing buttons can be confusing and also requires extra space. By using the compact popup you could show only a few of the most useful buttons and still provide other sharing options on demand. In addition, the popup has filtering for ease and convenience.
- Easy customization of the visual appearance of styled buttons.
This could be easily achieved by setting server properties or CSS, both with sprite or with separate icons, depending on your preferences.
- Tell a friend dialog and mailto: button for sending emails.
Apart from the popular mailto: URL option which allows sending mail through an application installed on the user’s machine, RadSocialShare offers a Tell a friend feature with a custom dialog. This feature uses a callback to send the mail, and a CAPTCHA to prevent spam. All you need to do to enable it is to configure the desired SMTP server and a mail address from which the mail will be send.
- Full Google Analytics support.
The RadSocialShare control offers full asynchronously implemented multi-tracker Google Analytics support which can be enabled by setting a single property to web property ID (also known as UA number). Having more than one RadSocialShare instance with the same UA is not a problem - all will be logged in the same tracker.
- Last but not least, as part of the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX suite, RadSocialShare can be easily configured to be always visible on the page no matter if it is scrolled by simply being put in a controls container with such functionality – e.g. RadNotification, RadWindow, or a RadToolTip control.
You can explore and play around with the control and its features in the online demos below: