This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Wierd Problem in VS 2008 code hinting

4 Answers 67 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
David asked on 05 May 2009, 01:49 PM
I have a website that I have been working on over the last couple of  months.  It uses the Rad Grid and etc..   The other day I create a contact us form and notice the code hinting is not bring up the Rad controls. 

For example I have a radtextbox called txtFirstName, txtFirstName and a standard asp.net label called lblDisplay.  The lblDisplay appears in the code hit popup box, while txtFirstName does not appear in the code behind. 

I went ahead and type out the txtFirstName because I know it exists.  My test page runs fine in the browsers. 

I set up a total new site, and did not have this problem. 

Does this have something to do with the Web.config file?

Where do I start looking?

I am using RadControls Q3 2008, maybe I need to update?

Thanks,
David

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 May 2009, 02:27 PM
Update to the Problem:

I found a post on IntelliSense in the forum that might fix my problem.  
http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/aspnet-ajax/general-discussions/vs2008-intellisense.aspx

I have mutilply computers in the office here.  One is my desktop for development, and the other is a 2008 Server with IIS 7 and SQL 2005 installed.    I have never install RadControls for ASP.Net Ajax on the Server 2008. 

My server 2008 does not have frontpage extensions install on it.  I am using the server as a share drive to develop on. 

Thanks,
David
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 May 2009, 03:01 PM
I am surprize I did not see this problem months ago: I guess I never pay any attention to the intellisense before. 

Problem Solved:

Solution:
Installed iis7 frontpage extensions on my Windows Server 2008
Connected VS2008 via frontpage extension instead of a fileshare

Question:
Why does intellisense work for regular asp controls work when connecting via a fileshare on the network?

David
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 05 May 2009, 03:06 PM
Hi David,

Could it be that your project is located on a shared drive? There were other customers complaining of this Visual Studio 2005 limitation. Can you move it to a local drive and try again if this is the case?

Best,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Accepted
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 May 2009, 03:25 PM
Erjan,

The project was located on the Windows 2008 server shared drive.  Yes it does work on my local drive.  I am using VS2008 for development.   I did solve the problem by installing frontpage extensions onto the Windows 2008 server. 

David
Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
Erjan Gavalji