This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

why scrollbars with 100% height?

3 Answers 142 Views
Splitter
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Eric
Top achievements
Rank 1
Eric asked on 25 Mar 2009, 05:21 PM
Dear all,

I am trying to set several splitters to retrieve a look and feel similar to windows explorer.
I want one thin area at the top.
Underneath, I want an area on the left separated from the right by a Splitter bar.

First Problem: scroll bars

The code below almost work but I get both horizontal and vertical scroll bars while I would expect none.
I am trying to use 100% everywhere as I want to use the entire screen.
Any idea how to get rid of them?

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="SplitterTests.aspx.cs" Inherits="Test2.SplitterTests" %> 

<%@ Register assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" tagprefix="telerik" %> 

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> 

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" style="height:100%" > 
<head id="Head1" runat="server"
    <title></title
</head> 
<body style="height:100%;margin:0px" scroll="no"
  <form id="form1" runat="server" style="height:100%;margin:0px"
    <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server"
    </asp:ScriptManager> 
    <script type="text/javascript"
      function ChangeUrl(sender, args) { 
          var pane = $find("<%= RadPane2.ClientID %>"); 
          pane.set_contentUrl(args.get_newValue()); 
      } 
    </script> 
      <telerik:RadSplitter ID="RadSplitter1" Runat="server" Height="100%" Width="100%" Orientation="Horizontal"
        <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane1" Runat="server" Width="100%" BackColor="Aqua" Height="30px">RadPane1 
        </telerik:RadPane> 
        <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane2" Runat="server" BackColor="BlueViolet" Height="100%"
            <telerik:RadSplitter ID="RadSplitter2" runat="server" Height="100%"
                <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane3" runat="server" BackColor="Beige"
                <telerik:RadSplitBar ID="RadSplitBar1" runat="server" /> 
                <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane4" runat="server"
            </telerik:RadSplitter> 
  </form> 
</body> 
</html> 

Second Problem: useless javascript

You may have noticed that the javascript is useless (I inherited it from one of the samples).
But if I remove it, the entire page becomes wonky as if the first splitter had a width of 50% and the second a height of 0.
Does that make sense?

Many thanks

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Eric
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Mar 2009, 09:20 AM
Hum... Don't rush! One at a time, please!

I have removed the javascript problem hence I am only looking at having a RadSplitter containing a Header and another RadSplitter

I have spotted a few articles mentioning the HeightOffset attribute but I still don't seem to get it right.
I want both RadSplitters to use 100% height of their respective areas
<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="SplitterTests.aspx.cs" Inherits="Test2.SplitterTests" %> 

<%@ Register assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" tagprefix="telerik" %> 

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> 

<head id="Head1" runat="server"
    <title>Help!</title> 
</head> 
<body style="height:100%;margin:0px" scroll="no"
  <form id="form1" runat="server" style="height:100%;margin:0px"
    <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server"
    <!-- I think RadSplitter1 is ok --> 
      <telerik:RadSplitter ID="RadSplitter1" Runat="server" Height="100%" Width="100%" Orientation="Horizontal"
        <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane1" Runat="server" Width="100%" BackColor="Aqua" Height="30px">RadPane1 
        <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane2" Runat="server" BackColor="BlueViolet" Height="100%"
            <!-- but RadSplitter2 does not seem to care about HeightOffset --> 
            <telerik:RadSplitter ID="RadSplitter2" runat="server" Height="100%" HeightOffset="100"
                <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane3" runat="server" BackColor="Beige"
                <telerik:RadSplitBar ID="RadSplitBar1" runat="server"/> 
                <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane4" runat="server"
  </form> 
</body> 
</html> 

Am I asking too much of Telerik?
Come on... You can do it!

Eric
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Mar 2009, 12:22 PM
For the record...
I have just discovered that my problem seems to be RadPane2 rather than the splitter...

I am able to hide(remove?) the problem by disallowing scroll bars on RadPane2 and the HeightOffset on RadSplitter2 appears useless in this case

<head id="Head1" runat="server">  
    <title>Help!</title>  
</head>  
<body style="height:100%;margin:0px" scroll="no">  
  <form id="form1" runat="server" style="height:100%;margin:0px">  
    <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server">  
    <!-- I think RadSplitter1 is ok -->  
      <telerik:RadSplitter ID="RadSplitter1" Runat="server" Height="100%" Width="100%" Orientation="Horizontal">  
        <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane2" Runat="server" BackColor="BlueViolet" Height="100%" BorderStyle="None" Scrolling="None">  
            <!-- but RadSplitter2 does not seem to care about HeightOffset -->  
            <telerik:RadSplitter ID="RadSplitter2" runat="server" Height="100%">  
                <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane3" runat="server" BackColor="Beige">  
                <telerik:RadSplitBar ID="RadSplitBar1" runat="server"/>  
                <telerik:RadPane ID="RadPane4" runat="server">  
  </form>  
</body>  
</html>  

Although I don't understand it all yet, this will solve my problem.

Thanks Eric. You're a star!
Svetlina Anati
Telerik team
answered on 30 Mar 2009, 08:12 AM
Hello Eric,

Straight to your questions:

1. I built up a test demo based on the code provided in your initial post. However, I was not able to reproduce the unnecessary scrollbars and when I removed the script, nothing changed.
  2. The HeightOffset property is used when you want to have an additional element outside the splitter but I did not see such in your code. Note, also, that by default when you have a RadSplitter nested in a RadPane, the splitter automatically resizes itself to occupy 100% of the RadPane and that is why it did not respect your setting. If you want to turn off this, you should set ResizeWithParentPane=false for the splitter and set the HeightOffset property along with Width, Height set to 100%.
  3. Indeed, when you use a RadSplitter nested in a RadPane you should set the Scrolling of the parent pane to be None. This should be done because otherwise you will get double scrollbars if the content is too big - the first scrollbar will be generated by the splitter and the second one - by the RadPane.

In case you need further assistance, please open a new support ticket and send me a sample, fully runnable reproduction demo along with screenshots of the actual and the desired layout. Once I have a better understanding on your exact goal I will do my best to help.

Kind regards,
Svetlina
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer , the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Tags
Splitter
Asked by
Eric
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Eric
Top achievements
Rank 1
Svetlina Anati
Telerik team