This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Q1 2009 SP1: tooltip slower / weird behavior vs Q1 2009

4 Answers 67 Views
ToolTip
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Sylvain
Top achievements
Rank 1
Sylvain asked on 03 Apr 2009, 01:40 PM
When I updated to Q1 2009, there was a very noticeable performance improvement with the tooltips.
Now that I updated to Q1 2009 SP1, (some of) my tooltips open in the upper left corner of my page, then move to the position they should be at, all this with much flickering and delay.
These tooltips are relative to elements inside an item template of a radcombobox, which itself is in a radslidingpane. And it worked beautifully and fast in Q1 2009. Now with SP1 it's a total mess. Why? The release notes don't mention anything. This is happening in IE6, IE7 and IE8.

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Tervel
Telerik team
answered on 03 Apr 2009, 03:57 PM
Hi Sylvain,

There are just a couple of (very) little changes to the RadToolTip form Q1 to Q1 SP1 that should not affect neither positioning, nor performance. There were some other fixes to the underlying popup behavior functionality that should not have affected the tooltip either. Since as of Q1 2009 all Telerik controls use jQuery for the animations, the problem could be there - but in fact no jQuery version change has been done in the time between the original Q1 release and the service pack.

Hence, we are not sure where the problem could be (especially the show-in-left-corner-move-to-proper-position problem). The only suggestion I can think of is to make sure <compilation debug="false"> is set in your Web.config - because when it is true MS AJAX injects a lot of slow debugging client-side code which tends to slow things down quite significantly.

In case you are not able to resolve the problem, but can send us a working project and steps to reproduce the show-in-left-corner-move-to-proper-position problem, please do so. We will examine it and find out what is causing the behavior.

Sincerely yours,
Tervel
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer , the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Sylvain
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Apr 2009, 04:18 PM
Hi Tervel,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I tried to set debug=false but that didn't make a difference.
Also I realized that the "tooltip appears in upper left corner and moves to center of browser" behavior  is also happening in Q1 2009, only much faster (even with debug=true) and is barely noticeable versus in Q1 2009 SP1 where it really shows up in the upper left corner, then flickers, then moves to the center of the browser. Maybe it's got nothing to do with the tooltip. Maybe something changed with the combobox from where the tooltip is triggered, or maybe with the radslidingpane the combobox resides in. I'm not sure. But it's much slower.
By the way, this is what I define:
<telerik:RadToolTipManager ID="RadToolTipManager1" runat="server" Animation="Resize" ShowDelay="0" 
AutoTooltipify="false" HideEvent="ManualClose" RelativeTo="BrowserWindow" ShowEvent="OnClick" 
Position="Center" ShowCallout="false"    > 
and
var tooltipManager = $find("<%=RadToolTipManager1.ClientID%>");  
            if (!tooltipManager) return;   
            var tooltip = tooltipManager.getToolTipByElement(object);   
            if (!tooltip) {  
              tooltip = tooltipManager.createToolTip(object);  
              tooltip.set_title(employeeName + " - " + title);   
              tooltip.set_content("blahblah");  
            }  
            tooltip.show(); 

Maybe it's supposed to show up in the upper left and then move to the center(?), but the fact remains it's much slower (and unprofessional looking) now than before.

Thanks.
Tervel
Telerik team
answered on 03 Apr 2009, 04:59 PM
Hello Sylvain,

Your scenario is more complex than originally suggested - for one thing you are creating tooltips dynamically on the fly - as a result of some unknown (click? mouseover?) event. This certainly makes things quite different than the default scenario.

That said, the problem looks like coming from the fact that you did not set any Width and Height to your TooltipManager - and new tooltips have no default size - which means that the positioning calculations will likely not perform well - especially given the fact that you are creating the tooltip on the fly.

Please, for a test at least, set Width and Height and see what happens.

Second suggestion - please try RelativeTo="Element"

Also, it would be good to know which event you use to create tooltips.

Best regards,
Tervel
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer , the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Sylvain
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Apr 2009, 05:50 PM

Here's what I tried:

• Specifying a size didn't affect the performance but I'll leave it that way anyway.
  • Changing to relativeto="Element" made the tooltip appear in its final position, so it's a better choice in the end, even though it's not centered in my browser window anymore.
  • the show event was on mouse click by the way.

Thanks.

Tags
ToolTip
Asked by
Sylvain
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Tervel
Telerik team
Sylvain
Top achievements