This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

memory leak

7 Answers 158 Views
Grid
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Support ATT
Top achievements
Rank 1
Support ATT asked on 29 May 2008, 07:42 PM
Hi

i have implemented a test site with radgrid and LINQ, like your example: http://www.telerik.com/DEMOS/ASPNET/Prometheus/Grid/Examples/GeneralFeatures/ASPNET35/DefaultCS.aspx

Every click in the paging, increase the memory task: "iexplore.exe", why ?

which component has the memory leak?

best regards
toprak
http://www.oneoffer.ch

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Rosen
Telerik team
answered on 03 Jun 2008, 08:36 AM
Hi Toprak,

Unfortunately the MS ajax itself has some internal leakage. This can be observed even with controls which have minimal client functionality. I attached a simple page with only an update panel, a textbox and validator (for some client functionality) to demonstrate this.

Kind regards,
Rosen
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
John
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 04 Jun 2008, 05:03 AM
Is there anything we can do about this? I use a radgrid and it;s very very slow, I didn't use radajax, would that improve?

Your link about the IE memory leak is not valid any more. Kindly let us know what else we can do to improve the situation as the low performance would kill our project.

thanks -- Bidan
Rosen
Telerik team
answered on 06 Jun 2008, 06:54 AM
Hi Bidan,

I'm know sure about the link to the project it seems to be ok.

Actually besides the MS AJAX leakage it depend what and how many controls you have on the page, how they are updated and do you have any custom javascript. Also if the page is heavily ajaxified and there are no regular postbacks (thus the browser releases the memory) for example to other pages. Some elements or setting are leaking more than others for example a disabled checkbox. These are just some of the reasons for increased memory consumption.

Please have this in mind when designing your pages.

Kind regards,
Rosen
the Telerik team

Support ATT
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Jun 2008, 07:02 AM
Hi

I think, we have to use AJAX Today, without thinking about memory leaking problematic.

I have seen other pages with AJAX, WITHOUT Memory increasing. How do that ?

Is it possible to force to delete the IE memory ?

thanks.
Rosen
Telerik team
answered on 09 Jun 2008, 11:22 AM
Hello Toprak,

Sure there will be no leakage if the control is using little or no javascript. If you can provide us a simple working project(attached to a formal support ticket) we will be happy to assist you in resolving the memory leak if possible.

Regards,
Rosen
the Telerik team

Support ATT
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Jun 2008, 11:57 AM
HI

I mean, i haven't to sent you en example. Look first your example, with memory leak.  http://www.telerik.com/DEMOS/ASPNET/Prometheus/Grid/Examples/GeneralFeatures/ASPNET35/DefaultCS.aspx

I can see the iexplor.exe Task, which increase with every paging !!

I'm using IE7 . With Firefox it is the same problem. i can see the firefox.exe memory increases also. not so much like IE7 but it increase with every paging !!

best regards
toprak
http://www.sport-events.ch is our project with your telerik component. I have to solve the memory problem, when i will go online !!
Rosen
Telerik team
answered on 11 Jun 2008, 03:02 PM
Hi Toprak,

If you examine this example in detail, you will notice that there is an iframe in which the RadGrid control is placed. As you may know iframes are big memory problem. Also you may be aware that as IE process memory increase initially, after few seconds the memory is collected.

Kind regards,
Rosen
the Telerik team

Tags
Grid
Asked by
Support ATT
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Rosen