This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Invalid Argument

22 Answers 273 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1
Paul asked on 12 Sep 2008, 05:58 PM
I have a website that's been working fine up until I upgraded to the latest August Q2 build. When I try to view a page that has any RadControl that is visible (textbox, scheduler, etc) I get an Invalid Argument error in line 364 (always that line number). If I revert back to any of the previous builds, the pages work as expected.

I've built other sites using the latest build and have not had any issues at all.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a fix or has seen this before?

Thanks!

Paul

22 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Daniel
Telerik team
answered on 12 Sep 2008, 06:08 PM
Hello Paul,

Could you please try to temporary replace your RadScriptManager (if used) with ScriptManager and let us know whether the issue persists.

Regards,
Daniel
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Sep 2008, 06:12 PM
Hi Daniel,

I already have it set up that way. Here is the exact code taken from the master page:

<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server">  
    </asp:ScriptManager> 

Thanks!
Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Sep 2008, 06:19 PM
Since I already had my setup the way you wanted me to try, I did the opposite as a test. I get the same results, only with a different line number of 1339.
Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Sep 2008, 06:47 PM
I've run it through a degugger and here is where it crashes:

Using ScriptManager:
Line 363: _54.height=_4c+"px";

Using RadScriptManager:
Line 1338: _54.height=_4c+"px";

Looks like identical code. Hopefully this gives more insight.

Daniel
Telerik team
answered on 15 Sep 2008, 05:21 PM
Hello Paul,

Could you please attach a simple project illustrating this issue to a formal support ticket? We need to investigate this behavior locally and afterward we will be able to give more straight-to-the-point answer.
Thank you for your cooperation!

Kind regards,
Daniel
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Maciej
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Sep 2008, 11:36 AM

Hello Paul, Daniel,

we would like to report tha we have suffered the same problems as Paul.
We've reproduced this error in simplest way as possible for us (code attached below).
It seems that problems arises when any RadTextBox type control coexist on the page with RadFormDecorator control.

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="WebApplication1._Default" %> 

<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" TagPrefix="telerik" %> 

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> 

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" > 
<head runat="server">  
    <title>Untitled Page</title> 
</head> 
<body> 
    <form id="form1" runat="server">  
    <div> 
        <telerik:RadScriptManager ID="RadScriptManager1" runat="server">  
        </telerik:RadScriptManager> 
        <telerik:RadNumericTextBox ID="RadNumericTextBox1" runat="server">  
        </telerik:RadNumericTextBox>     
        <telerik:radformdecorator id="FormDecorator" runat="server" decoratedcontrols="all" skin="Default2006">  
    </telerik:radformdecorator>   
    </div> 
    </form> 
</body> 
</html> 

hope it helps,

Best regards
Maciej Klar,
"CISS"
Daniel
Telerik team
answered on 19 Sep 2008, 01:06 PM
Hello Maciej,

Thank you for cooperation.

Please confirm that you are using the latest version of RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX (Q2 SP1 - build 826 or newer). We tried to reproduce this behavior locally but unfortunately to no avail. It would also be good to know the .NET framework version used.

Of course, the best option is to submit a formal support ticket with your project attached.

Regards,
Daniel
the Telerik team

Maciej
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Sep 2008, 01:32 PM

Oops, I'm sorry for my laziness ;)

.Net Framework ver.:  3.5.0
RadControls ver.: 2008.2.826.35 (trial was downloaded yesterday from telerik website)

I've also placed a formal support ticket with sample project (ID: 162999).

Regards
Maciek

Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Sep 2008, 01:35 PM
Daniel,

I was able to confirm Maciej's sample project twice. I copied his aspx code into a new page into two of my existing projects which both use version 2008.2.826.20. I am also developing under the 2.0 framework on all my projects. It also does not matter if I use RadScriptManager or ASP script manager.

I am able to confirm in all 3 of my projects that the issue is caused by the RadFormDecorator. If it is removed in all 3 cases, the error disappears. It is not limited to Textboxes as Maciej pointed out as I did not have those in all of my pages.

The issue is confirmed in all my tests to be the RadFormDecorator.
Daniel
Telerik team
answered on 19 Sep 2008, 06:48 PM
Hello Paul,

I already answered Maciej's ticket and I post a brief conclusion here:

This issue was already fixed in the latest unofficial builds and it will be included in the next service pack release expected at the end of this month.

In the meantime you can submit a formal support ticket if you need to get a copy of the mentioned build.

Best regards,
Daniel
the Telerik team

Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Sep 2008, 02:12 PM
Hi Daniel,

I obtained the latest build but the issue still occurs. I've narrowed the cause within the RadFormDecorator to 2 settings. The error stems specifically from setting the DecoratedControls setting to "TextBox". Setting it to "All" also has the effect due to it including TextBox as part of the decorated controls.

To workaround the issue, I have to make multiple calls to the form decorator for each of the controls I want decorated instead of using "All"

Paul
Maciej
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Sep 2008, 04:09 PM
I'm afraid that I have to agree with Paul. Any configuration including textbox decoration still generates an error. I'm not using this feature, so I didn't noticed it earlier.

Regards
Maciek
Daniel
Telerik team
answered on 25 Sep 2008, 02:13 PM
Hello Marcej and Paul,

I modified Marcej's demo project to include the latest unofficial trial build and reattached it to the thread. Could you please test it locally and let us know whether the problem persists?

Kind regards,
Daniel
the Telerik team

Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Sep 2008, 02:32 PM
Daniel,

Your test sample seems to work however I can't test the new assemblies in my own project because I am using 2.0 not 3.5. If you could send me the 2.0 versions of the Telerik controls I can test using that and confirm the fix in my projects.

Thanks!

Paul
Daniel
Telerik team
answered on 25 Sep 2008, 03:01 PM
Hello Paul,

You can find both 2.0 and 3.5 versions attached to our previous support ticket.

Best regards,
Daniel
the Telerik team

Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Sep 2008, 03:47 PM
Daniel,

Getting closer to a fix. Still having issues on some controls. I'm not having a problem with TextBoxes but now that that is out of the picture I still have errors on pages that contain other controls. Specifically the scheduler and any of the date/time controls. Once these are fixed, I'll let you know if I come across any others.

You should be able to drop these controls into your project sample you posted to confirm.

Thanks!

Paul
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 29 Sep 2008, 07:31 AM
Hello Paul,

I recommend you wait for the official Q2 2008 SP2 release of RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX (due in a couple of days) and try it out to see whether the issues you reported are addressed.

If the issue persists with the service pack, please isolate a small working version of your project, replicating the errors, and send it enclosed to a formal support ticket. We will debug it locally and will do our best to provide straight-to-the-point explanation/solution.

Best regards,
Stephen
the Telerik team

Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Oct 2008, 08:35 PM
Hi Stephen,

The issue still persists with the new build. To replicate, you can use the sample application posted earlier in the thread by one of your co-workers (Daniel). All you need to do is drop in the latest Telerik control version and add a date/time or scheduler control.

Here's what I have in my aspx page:

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="Default" %> 

<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" TagPrefix="telerik" %> 
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> 
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">  
<head runat="server">  
    <title>Untitled Page</title> 
</head> 
<body> 
    <form id="form1" runat="server">  
    <div> 
        <telerik:RadScriptManager ID="RadScriptManager1" runat="server">  
        </telerik:RadScriptManager> 
        <telerik:RadNumericTextBox ID="RadNumericTextBox1" runat="server">  
        </telerik:RadNumericTextBox> 
        <telerik:RadDateTimePicker ID="RadDateTimePicker1" runat="server">  
        </telerik:RadDateTimePicker> 
        <telerik:RadFormDecorator ID="FormDecorator" runat="server" DecoratedControls="all" 
            Skin="Default2006"></telerik:RadFormDecorator> 
    </div> 
    </form> 
</body> 
</html> 

Daniel
Telerik team
answered on 06 Oct 2008, 11:19 AM
Hello Paul,

I successfully reproduced the issue you depicted. It should be fixed by our developers until the end of the day. Also your telerik points was updated as a sign of gratitude for your cooperation.

Please excuse us for any inconvenience caused.

Best regards,
Daniel
the Telerik team

Accepted
Daniel
Telerik team
answered on 07 Oct 2008, 07:58 AM
Hello Paul,

You can find the hotfix added to your old support ticket.

Let us know whether it helps in order to attach a trial version to this forum thread.

Best regards,
Daniel
the Telerik team

Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Oct 2008, 01:26 PM
Excellent work! We can mark this as resolved :) I will also close out the support ticket as well. Please post the trial version for the prospective customers. I highly recommend this product and the support system is top notch. Thanks again!
Daniel
Telerik team
answered on 07 Oct 2008, 01:50 PM
Hello Paul,

Thank you for your compliments. We are glad to realize your issues are finally solved.

I also attached the promised trial build to the thread.

Best regards,
Daniel
the Telerik team

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Daniel
Telerik team
Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1