2 Answers 74 Views
Integration with other JS libraries
Andrew
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Iron
Andrew asked on 17 Nov 2023, 06:44 AM | edited on 20 Nov 2023, 01:20 AM

Today I upgraded to the latest KendoUI release, 2023 R3 Service Pack 1.

I discovered that the kendo directives for AngularJS have been completely removed.

This page says that Kendo Angular JS has said that it is 'not supported', but there has been no warning of it's complete removal.

What has happened?

Somebody has also posted a feedback issue, see this link.

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
AGB
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 22 Nov 2023, 08:26 AM
Hi Nikolay,

I think you are missing the point

a) AngularJS bindings were silently removed in the 2023.3.1114 service pack release.
b) The change log contained within the kendoui.for.jquery.2023.3.1114.commercial-source.7z download file DOES NOT state this fact.
c) Pointing to a blog post is not good enough. I got emails related to price increases and the demise of Kendo for PHP so why were your customers not directly contacted about such a fundamental piece of functionality being removed.
d) My feedback post has now been open for over 5 days without any official response.
e) Finally the link you posted above to release notes, which supposedly contain details of this breaking change, does not work.

So once again Telerik's customer support has been sadly lacking, which is an all to familiar occurrence these days.

Regards
Alan
Nikolay
Telerik team
commented on 27 Nov 2023, 07:59 AM

Hi Alan,

Thank you very much for the feedback. It is highly appreciated.

We acknowledge and appreciate your concerns regarding the recent removal of AngularJS files. We are truly sorry about the miscommunication around removing those files. We understand how this impacted your workflow and projects and we have learnt from this mistake. Here is the correct link to the release notes article.

Soon we will additionally provide a help article with information on how one can get the related files that are now excluded from the release.

We also want to provide you with a comprehensive understanding of the decision-making process that led to this change. Please be assured that the decision to remove AngularJS files was made after careful consideration and was not taken lightly. The rationale behind this move is multifaceted, as outlined in the points below:

1. The AngularJS framework itself has been deprecated since 31st of December 2021. Investing in keeping things up to date with such a framework is troublesome. From a security standpoint, it is not safe to keep references and maintain legacy framework dependencies. 
  2. Web development is fast-moving and changes are required from time to time so we could provide you with top-of-the-notch features that the modern web requires. Having legacy dependencies prevents fast growth and adds complexity to products.
  3. Since R2 2022 we have announced that AngularJS is no longer maintained and supported. Meaning that full compatibility with the framework was lost a couple of releases ago.
  4. R3 2023 contains the related AngularJS files, everything you need to get an AngularJS site running. The files were removed in SP1 R3 2023.

Having the above in mind we had to revise the distribution package and remove the deprecated and unsupported versions to make sure the product is up-to-date with latest standards and polices.

Regards,

Andrew
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Iron
commented on 28 Nov 2023, 09:47 PM

As a developer who produces long-term value for my company, I do not not need 'top of the notch' features. I need stability. I need to know that the code that has been delivering value for the last decade can still deliver value.

You attempt to justify this by saying "Having legacy dependencies prevents fast growth and adds complexity to products".

Yes, that's right. Writing software that lasts long term is difficult. It's not fun or sexy, it's hard work.
That's why we pay our license fees.
We don't pay are license fees for you to say "That's too hard", and abandon the users who had the misfortune of following your recommendations eight years ago,

So far this has been out for two weeks, and you've had three developers state their extreme dissatisfaction.

How many development teams out there actually upgrade straight away when a release comes out?
They will upgrade slowly over the next year, and discover that their websites that were working just fine no longer work, and it would take months to rewrite them. I don't know if Progress understand the reputational damage this decision will have costed them.

"Soon we will additionally provide a help article with information on how one can get the related files that are now excluded from the release."

That's quite a vague solution. Does it mean you will provide a path to get it working again? Will we be able to use AngularJS and still have known defects fixed in the future?

Nikolay
Telerik team
commented on 01 Dec 2023, 11:50 AM

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the feedback.

It is really valuable and I have forwarded it to the Product Management Team.

Regarding the help article I mentioned, it aims to guide you on how to get the AngularJS related files and use them with later versions of the Kendo UI. However, support remains discontinued based on the reasons I mentioned in my previous reply.

Regards,

Nikolay

Nikolay
Telerik team
commented on 26 Dec 2023, 11:10 AM

Hi Andrew,

The article for legacy files is already available and you can access it at the below link:

Regards,

Nikolay

Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 21 Nov 2023, 01:54 PM | edited on 21 Nov 2023, 02:23 PM

Hello Andrew,

With R2 2022, the Kendo UI team officially drops the support for AngularJS 1.x through Kendo UI for jQuery. Thus, the directives for AngularJS with later versions have not been tested and most likely were not working correctly.

As legacy files, we decided to remove these files from the Kendo UI for jQuery bundle which also resulted in reducing the bundle size. This is pointed out in the Release History notes and before upgrading we strongly recommend checking those out. Please refer to the next link:

Additionally, below I am posting a blog post giving more information on what was pushing us to end support for AngularJS 1.x and the future plans for it:

Regards,
Nikolay
Progress Telerik

Stay tuned by visiting our public roadmap and feedback portal pages! Or perhaps, if you are new to our Kendo family, check out our getting started resources
Tags
Integration with other JS libraries
Asked by
Andrew
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Iron
Answers by
AGB
Top achievements
Rank 1