Did you miss the Telerik R1 2020 release webinar? Check out the recap to find the latest about all our development tools, and answers to audience questions.
As we do with each major release, we took some time last week to share with you what’s new in our Telerik line of products. With Blazor, ASP.NET AJAX, ASP.NET Core, ASP.NET MVC, Xamarin, WPF, WinForms, Reporting, JustMock, and Test Studio, Sam and Ed had a lot to cover. If you missed the webinar, never fear. We’ve recorded it for you. You can watch right here.
If you’d prefer a quick recap, below is a list of all of the new controls and features available in R1 2020. We’ve also included a few of the questions your peers had during the webinar about Blazor, ASP.NET Core, Document Processing Libraries and ASP.NET AJAX. If you have additional questions, feel free to reach out to us via Twitter using the #HeyTelerik hashtag.
And - if you haven’t already, don’t forget to download the latest bits. You can get them here.
Telerik R1 2020 Release Highlights
Telerik UI for Blazor
- New Grid features: Row Virtualization, Column Reordering and Resizing, Scrolling, Batch Editing
- New components: Scheduler, ComboBox and Autocomplete
- New DPL Libraries: PdfProcessing, SpreadProcessing, SpreadStreamProcessing, WordsProcessing and ZipLibrary
- Globalization and Localization: Accessibility and Keyboard support
- Official support for .NET Core 3.1
Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core & Telerik UI for ASP.NET MVC
- New Components: FileManager, Breadcrumb and Badge
- New DPL Library: SpreadProcessing
- Enhancements in Grid (Column Virtualization), Scheduler, Editor, Filter and TreeList
- Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core official support for .NET Core 3.1
Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX
- New MultiSelect component and improvements in UI for ASP.NET AJAX
Telerik UI for WPF
- New TaskBoard control, Syntax Editor is now RTM, ScheduleView: Agenda View and Splash Screens
- Official support for .NET Core 3.1 LTS
Telerik UI for WinForms
- New Syntax Editor control and Touch keyboard control
- Official support for .NET Core 3.1 LTS
Telerik UI for Xamarin
- New Components: ListPicker, Template Picker and DateTimePicker
- SpreadProcessing library for .NET Standard
- New Calendar View - AgendaView
- All controls support HotReload
- New report viewer control for Telerik UI for Blazor
- Crystal Report Converter v.2 in Telerik Reporting
- SQL DataSource wizard and dedicated editors for complex properties in Web-based report designer in Telerik Reporting
Telerik Report Server
- Improved Web-based report designer in Telerik Report Server
- Implement support for execution of .NET Core tests by the Azure Pipeline task
- Implement Visual Studio 2019 as a Test platform option for the Azure Pipeline extension
Telerik Test Studio
- Fits into your CI/CD Pipeline
- Easy to use for Manual and Dev testers
- Functional/Regression/Load/API Testing
- Full Support for Telerik and other 3rd party custom controls
Questions from the Webinar
Q: Do you have full support for ASP.NET Core Tag Helpers, particularly for the Grid?
A: We do have support for TagHelpers and grid you can check this demo - https://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-core/grid/tag-helper
Q: Do you support ASP.NET Core Floating Labels?
A: We have Floating Labels on our plans for R2 2020 due in May.
Q: Can I search (Search Toolbar) a hidden column with the ASP.NET Core Grid control?
A: Indeed, as long as the field of the hidden column is defined in the search fields collection searching will be perform on it. By default, the grid will search on all string fields regardless whether the column is visible or not.
Q: Do you have a timeframe for the Blazor file upload component?
A: We do have it on our immediate plans. Check out the Telerik UI for Blazor roadmap page for what's more to come until May 2020.
Q: Have you added sortable grid column to Telerik UI for Blazor?
A: Adding sortable to the Grid column is planned for the 2.9.0 release of Telerik UI for Blazor in April.
Q: I’m looking for File Upload and Cascading Dropdowns in Telerik UI for Blazor, any idea when they might come?
A: You can expect the File Upload component in March as part of 2.8.0 version of UI for Blazor
Q: When do you expect that we can develop with Telerik for Blazor on Visual Studio Code?
A: We are planning to work on VS Code tool, so you can expect more details on the Roadmap page soon.
Q: Blazor WebAssembly is in preview for ASP.NET Core 3.1.?
A: Yes, it is still in preview with the official release expected late this year. It's important to note that Blazor projects separate from ASP.NET Core, even though you could use Blazor components in a ASP.NET Core web app
Q: Can we use AJAX Web Services instead of SignalR for Blazor?
A: The Server-side flavor of Blazor requires the SignalR connection to the server, that is how it works. You can make HTTP requests from it, but keep in mind that it will be the server issuing them, not the browser. The WASM (client) flavor of Blazor, however, relies entirely on REST API so you can use any service you want (ASP.NET AJAX, MVC, whatever server you have)
Document Processing Library
Q: Can the DPL be run from an AWS Lambda using .NET Core for use with a REST API?
A: We do ship a .NET Standard version of our DPL libraries which you can run in .NET Core environment, yes.
Q: Does PDF convertor work with ASP.NET library?
A: Yes, there are versions of our DPL library for .NET Standard (that is, .NET Core) and for .NET 4.x, so you can use the version appropriate for your project
Q: Does DocxFormatProvider also support custom document properties?
(We use custom document properties to write meta data from the web page directly to DOCX file)
A: These two resources can help you achieve your goal:
Q: Will horizontal grid scrolling be added to the ASP.NET AJAX's grid control?
A: RadGrid already offers horizontal scrolling as shown in the following demo.
As you might have noticed, a lot went into R1 2020. Our engineers are working hard already on R2 – slated for May. Make sure you check the roadmap pages for your favorite products to learn what is coming next. And if there is a specific component or functionality you want, please share that with us. Our roadmap is built based on your input.