This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS 2008 Team System - Error Creating Control...

9 Answers 81 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Edward
Top achievements
Rank 1
Edward asked on 02 Feb 2010, 08:56 PM
Let me start with a quick, I love your product, I have been using Telerik controls since 2004 full time.  I am not new to Telerik or the upgrade process each time a new version comes out.  With that said I have faced my toughest week ever using the Telerik Ajax Controls.  I have read ALL the blogs, links, forums, that I can stand in one week.  I cannot seem to resolve this issue with the Designer failing to render the controls.

I am working on a developers box with 8 gigs of Ram, 500 gig hard drive running Windows 7 (64) bit.  We recently went to Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server using source control.  I have sp 1 installed.  I am currently running Telerik version 2009.3.1208.20.  I had sp2 installed but it would error out so much I rolled back to sp1 hoping that would fix the problem.

One last thought...I have never experienced any issues with Telerik in 6 plus years of using your product until this last upgrade.  Can you please help me resolve this issue so I continue to use your wonderful controls.

A Really Big Fan,
Ed

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 03 Feb 2010, 11:38 AM
Hi Edward,

Thanks for the good words and for your continuous support! I'm sorry for the errors you got and I'll do my best to help solve the problem as quickly as possible.
As you mentioned you've read any articles you've found regarding the designer problem, I believe you already have the service pack (SP1) installed to your Visual Studio 2008. Would you please, just recheck you have it installed? I wanted to mention the Telerik.Web.Design assembly article just in case as well.

Can you tell me some more about your environment? Here are the details I would need in order to suggest a solution:
  • Do you use an installed RadControls version on the computer, or do you use just a copy-distribution (e.g. from a zip file)?
  • Do you store the Telerik.Web.UI assembly in the Team Foundation Server and do you update its version each time?
  • Do you store the Telerik.Web.Design assembly (version corresponding to the Telerik.Web.UI one) in the project BIN? If not, do you have the Telerik.Web.Design assemlbly in the GAC?

Looking forward to your reply,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Follow the status of features or bugs in PITS and vote for them to affect their priority.
Edward
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Feb 2010, 03:10 PM

Thank You Erjan for the reply,

I read an article that showed how to check for VS SP1 installation. I have attached a pic of my registry.  According to the article (if I read it right) SP 1 correctly installed.

• I always use the installer.  Lately I have uninstalled the old version then installed the new version.
  • Well, I admit I am new to Team Foundation Server.  Typically We create a new project, create the local workspace copy, link the two in source control.  We then push up the code to the server.  I have not added any Telerik items to Team Foundation Server except through Visual Studio.
  • In the past all I have done is store it in the bin.  I tried the GAC approach and nothing changed.

Up till this release I have had to do literally nothing except drag a new control on the page to update a project. This is the first time I have had issues.  Like I said we went to Team Foundation Server over Christmas and things started off good till this last update.

Thanks and if there is other information I can provide let me know.
Ed

Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 03 Feb 2010, 06:06 PM
Hi Ed,

Well, it seems that the problem you experience is a new one, which we haven't encountered so far. Is it possible for you to send me a screenshot of your GAC (Windows Explorer -> %windir%\assembly folder), navigated to any Telerik assemblies?
Can you please create a new website/web application and add some Telerik controls to the default page as well? Please, send us this small website/web application if it throws the design time problem for analysis. (For privacy reasons, please, use a formal Support Ticket to send us the file).
And the last suggestion (though you might have already done that), can you check the following folders for the existence of the Telerik.Web.UI assembly?

[Visual_Studio_Install_Dir]\Common7\IDE\
[Visual_Studio_Install_Dir]\Common7\IDE\Public Assemblies
[Visual_Studio_Install_Dir]\Common7\IDE\Private Assemblies

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Follow the status of features or bugs in PITS and vote for them to affect their priority.
Edward
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Feb 2010, 08:14 PM
Here are the images of the GAC and IDE.

I placed the Telerik.Web.UI.DLL per the article I read.  It made no difference.

Thanks,
Ed
I tried to open a support, however, I cannot at this time.  I let my current subscription lapse this month.  I am currently getting a new subscription with my firm.  We currently only have a sitefinity license for that .  How else can I send you the file?

Thanks for your help.
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 04 Feb 2010, 09:11 AM
Hi Edward,

You could use the clientservice-at-telerik.com e-mail to send us the project. The guys at the team will forward it to me once received.

Just a side note, can you check if the TargetFramework is .NET20 through the project properties window? You're using the .NET 2.0 RadControls assembly and the problem might be caused by targeting the different version of the System.Web.Extensions assembly.

Can you check if you have ASP.NET AJAX 1.0 installed (it is required to run RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX .NET 2.0).

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Edward
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Feb 2010, 04:34 PM
Erjan,

We use .Net Framework 3.5 for everything now.  I know the difference on the dll is 20 for .Net 2.0 and 35 for .Net 3.5.  Have I overlooked something?

I do have Ajax 1.0 extensions installed.  (pic included)

I have sent the project to the address you provided.  Thanks,

Ed
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 05 Feb 2010, 08:36 AM
Hi Ed,

I just got your test application and ran it locally. I did not have any problems with the design time (please, find attached a screenshot).

That makes me think that there could be a problem with the setup. Do you experience the design time problem on other machines as well? Could this be related to the Visual Studio Team System installation (something got wrong possibly)?

The setup on the machine I tested your application regarding RadControls is the following:
  • There are no Telerik.Web.UI assemblies in any folder other than the RadControls installation folder and the project BIN;
  • There are the Telerik.Web.Design (v.2009.3.1208.20 and v.2009.3.1208.35) in the GAC.
  • Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.30729.1 SP (through the Help -> About screen)

Looking forward to your reply,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Edward
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Apr 2010, 03:13 PM
Erjan,
Well, sorry for the long wait, however, I was finally able to resolve my issue.  I am convinced the issue is with Visual Studio Team Suite and not with the Telerik controls.  Here is what I did to make it work.

•     First, I un-installed visual studio and team explorer.  (This I had done many times)
  •     Next, I rebooted my computer.
  •     Next, I installed Visual Studio Team Suite "Development Edition"  (Before I had the whole suite installed)
  •     Finally, I installed Team Explorer.

I did not have to un-install or re-install any Telerik controls.

I launched Visual Studio and everything worked.  All my projects worked with NO Designer errors.  I am convinced (in my case) the Team Suite with all of the versions together has an issue.  My Development box is a Windows 7 OS.  However, we had the same problem with a Vista OS SP1.  Hope this helps somebody.  I really love working with the Telerik Controls and I am glad we were able to resolve the issue.  Thanks to you and the Telerik team for your support and help in resolving this issue.

Thanks,
Ed
A Big Telerik Fan
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 08 Apr 2010, 05:04 PM
Hi Ed,

Actually it would be good if we could implement a solution to fix the Visual Studio setup too, but I'm afraid we don't have enough knowledge for that... yet ;-)

Joke aside, I'm glad the problem is solved now. Let's hope you won't experience similar troubles in the future.

By the way, did you try Visual Studio 2010 already? I'm sure you'll be nicely surprised by the contents of the Extension Manager in the next several days by means of Telerik :)

Best regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
Edward
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
Edward
Top achievements
Rank 1