This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS 2005 Express and Ajax 3.5

3 Answers 23 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
WombatEd
Top achievements
Rank 1
WombatEd asked on 10 Mar 2010, 03:50 AM
Total Newbie question:  I have a web page that runs on my development station, but not on my host.

I'm using VS-2005 Professional Edition because VWD 2008 Express won't work with Telerik's ASP.Net AJAX components.

When I upload my page to my host, and then try to reach it, I get this error:  "Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

My host says this is happening because "We do not have AJAX version 1 installed on the servers GAC. We only have version 3.5. You will either need to update your code to reference AJAX version 3.5 or upload AJAX version 1 into your applications bin directory and have it referenced from there."

When I look at my applications references, they all appear to be .Net 2.0

So I'm stuck in 2005, while my host is stuck in 2008.  And of course I have no idea where to find the "AJAX version 1" to put in my bin.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  (And, yes, I'm working on getting a more professional version of VS 2008, but ...)

TIA

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Veselin Vasilev
Telerik team
answered on 12 Mar 2010, 02:08 PM
Hello WombatEd,

First of all Telerik Ajax controls should work in VWD 2008. What are the problems that you have?

To install the MS Ajax Extensions 1.0 please go to this address.

Greetings,
Veskoni
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
WombatEd
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Mar 2010, 10:10 PM
While Visual Studio 2008 (the not-free versions) are supported, the free Visual Web Developer Express Edition 2008 is not supported.

At least that's what your colleague, Erjan Gavalji, says at http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/aspnet-ajax/vs-extensions/is-visual-web-developer-express-edition-supported.aspx.

I am juggling work-arounds while trying to upgrade my VS.

Thanks,
Veselin Vasilev
Telerik team
answered on 17 Mar 2010, 10:53 AM
Hi WombatEd,

Actually that forum post discusses only the Visual Studio Extensions in VWD. The problem is only with the extensions (the integrated Telerik menu in the Visual Studio toolbar), but RadControls should work as expected there.

Best wishes,
Veskoni
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
WombatEd
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Veselin Vasilev
Telerik team
WombatEd
Top achievements
Rank 1