This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Visual Studio Extensions for VS2008 AND VS2005 when installed side-by-side

2 Answers 330 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
T. Stanley
Top achievements
Rank 1
T. Stanley asked on 31 Aug 2009, 01:17 AM
Hi.

I have both VS2005 and VS2008 on the same development computer (64bitXP) and have been succesfully using the ASP.NET Ajax 2009 Q2 controls in VS2005.  I recently ported my website code to VS2008 and plan to work in that IDE now.  I manually added the Telerik RAD Controls to the 2008 toolbox, so no problem there, but the "Telerik" menu item for all the VS Extensions does not appear in VS 2008 IDE.  It is in the VE2005 copy, but I can't seem to find out how to get it into VS2008.  Trying to re-install using the RADControls installer simply informs me that the installation had already been done.  How can I get the Telrik menu item to appear in the VS2008 IDE?

Thanks for a great product!!

Tom Stanley
TALJAC Computing Consultants, LLC

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 31 Aug 2009, 10:23 AM
Hi Tom,

Visual Studio Extensions are a feature of the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX installer. The best way to have them enabled is (as you've already tried) is to re-run the installer.

The message you report is a strange one, as running the installer with the products installed should just offer the Uninstall/Repair screen. I'd suggest you the following steps to ensure that everything is fine:

• Start Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs
  • Search for the RadControls for Visual Studio Extensions and remove them if found
  • Find the previous installation of Telerik RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX and uninstall them
  • Run the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX installer again
  • Select Custom in the Setup Type screen
  • Ensure that the Visual Studio Extensions for Visual Studio 2008 feature is selected in the Feature selection screen
  • Proceed with the installation
Let me know if any problem arises. I will try helping immediately.

Best regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
T. Stanley
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Sep 2009, 02:57 PM
You are right.  The message given on trying to install over a previous installation was the Uninstall/Repair option.  I did go ahead and uninstall the RADControls (reluctant to do so before), then reinstalled using both VS2005 and VS2008 Extensions, and all is well.  Thanks very much for your help!

Tom
Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
T. Stanley
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
T. Stanley
Top achievements