This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

TabStrip and Multipageview

6 Answers 47 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
usr9999
Top achievements
Rank 1
usr9999 asked on 30 Jun 2010, 09:54 PM

We are building an app which basically is converting a paper state form. The form contains around 300 questions. We will be using Telerik controls. We have tight dead line and don’t have much time for experiments.

I have created a mockup screen with Form Decorator, RadTabStrip, Radmultipage and Rad controls on the page but am concerned about performance. I haven’t bound the data yet but with just the controls it is taking time to load the page.  The user will be flipping back and forth between the tab items during the data entry. I cann’t go with wizard like functionality. User should have all the data elements available. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 01 Jul 2010, 12:16 PM
Hello usr9999,

I think that the tips for performance optimization explained in the resources below will help you reduce the loading time of your pages as much as possible:

http://www.telerik.com/products/aspnet-ajax/resources/top-performance.aspx
http://www.telerik.com/support/aspnet-ajax.aspx (section "Performance")

Greetings,
Sebastian
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
usr9999
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Jul 2010, 01:19 PM

Thank you for the quick reply. One more suggestion i would like to have is on the approach. Is there any better approach other than putting all elements on the same page?

The app has wide variety of user base like all hospitals and funeral homes.  Hospitals may be having good ones but not sure what kind of systems that funeral homes have. Are there any limitations or restrictions or concerns using all telerik controls on a page?  Do we have any set requirements to use an app with telerik controls without any issues?

Thank you,

Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 01 Jul 2010, 01:31 PM
Hi usr9999,

Based on your application logic, you may consider separating some of the controls in user controls and load these user controls dynamically when you switch tabs. How to load user controls programmatically on ajax requests you can see from this demo on our site.

If you follow the guidelines provided so far you should be able to achieve optimal performance for our AJAX controls.

Best,
Sebastian
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
usr9999
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Jul 2010, 02:30 PM

I have checked the example. The difference is the requirements. I appreciate if you can divert me to the related help topics or demo links for I am trying to do.

Each of the multipageview/ user control should have some complex functionality. I may have to use updatable panels within them to provide the functionality that is needed.

Again, user treats it as one single record; they don’t want to save each user control.

Once the record is saved, I need to provide list of edits that were failed during the data entry. I could not use validation controls as user should have overriding capability.  The edit rules are stored in the database. They can choose to correct but also can choose to save the record as it is. I am planning to make a call to database and populate data grid with edits. User should be able to click on the edit and navigate to the error control on the user control.

Thank you,
usr9999
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Jul 2010, 02:36 PM
I forgot to ask this. As i said in my previous replay, I may endup using static controls in user control.  Will this be any different than using mutipageview?

Thank you,
Vinkel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Jul 2010, 03:13 PM
Dude, I think Seb from Telerik provided directions that you need to make your app fast enough. The actual implementation is up to you, check the samples and choose what you want.

-J
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
usr9999
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Sebastian
Telerik team
usr9999
Top achievements