This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Support ID:664435 -- Loading grid data on demand

11 Answers 400 Views
Grid
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Ashish
Top achievements
Rank 1
Ashish asked on 07 Mar 2013, 05:09 AM
Hello,

We had created a support ticket - 664435.

We have posted this,

Currently, we need  Telerik grid to allow data loding on demand. i.e we have huge data set that we are trying to assign to grid but then we get 'MaxJSONLength' error. The telerik grid allows to do custom paging by setting VirtualItemCount but then the data fetching has to be handled by the user. Also, the sorting and filtering can not work as we bind only current page data to the grid. We need support so that we can bind data on demand to the telerik grid and it should be able to work with sorting and filtering.

We got reply as below,

Currently the RadGrid provides virtual scrolling mechanism which could properly work with paging and sorting and not a clean built in load on demand. See the online demo below for more information on this matter:
http://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax/grid/examples/client/virtualscrollpaging/defaultcs.aspx

But if you check above link, sorting is working on just current page's data and not on Entire dataset.  So is it possible that sorting and filtering work for entire data, along with facility of loading grid data on demand?

11 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Maria Ilieva
Telerik team
answered on 12 Mar 2013, 01:28 PM
Hi Ashish,

Please note that the required functionality is not supported with none of the DataBind controls and respectively with the RadGrid.
It is not possible to have data load on demand in the Grid and at the same time sort and filter the whole data set. The only possible approach is to firstly get the RadGrid sort and filter expressions, apply them to the whole DataBase manually and retrieve only the sorted and filtered data to the RadGrid.This however will decrease the performance significantly and will make the usage of the load on demand approach pointless.

Regards,
Maria Ilieva
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Margret
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Jul 2013, 10:21 AM
Hi All,
I have 17000 records to be populated with the radgrid.It takes more than one minute.so,in pageload event , it has to load only 10 records and then when clicking on the page buttons,it will load other data according to the page index and page size like load data on demand concept with pagination.can anybody help on this?
Princy
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 05 Jul 2013, 10:58 AM
Hi Margret,

I guess you want to show only 10 records first then while scrolling down the rest of the records.
Please have a look at this demo on Grid - Virtual Scrolling and Paging.

Thanks,
Princy

Margret
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Jul 2013, 11:07 AM
Thanks princy.

Is it possible to load data on demand using pagination as like in ordinary asp grid controls? .It doesnot use any ajax and scrolling things.Initially it will load only 10 records.And if the records is more than 10,it will have paging control and display records based on the page index  and page size.Please update me for the same.Can i do the load data on demand in grid, only based on the paging in grid?

Thanks in advance
Margret
Margret
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Jul 2013, 06:28 AM
Hi All,
Any update on this scenerio?
Princy
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 08 Jul 2013, 06:38 AM
Hi Margret,

You can implement RadGrid with custom paging to achieve your goal.
Please check out the below documentation for more information.
Custom Paging.

Let me know if further questions arise.

Thanks,
Princy
Margret
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Jul 2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks Princy.
I have tried using the Virtual item count in the given example.It is loaded the data on demand in the grid, correctly .
Margret
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Jul 2013, 05:10 AM
Hi All,
Iwant to do sorting with the load data on demand in telerik grid.For that ,what are all the steps i could follow?.Custom paging example ,I cant get the logic.If i set the Allow sorting =true, then the paging is not met my reqiurement.In first page,I didnt have any record,while clicking the other column header text for sorting.Please let me know the steps,if anybody know.
Margret
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Jul 2013, 05:39 AM
I think, have to set " AllowMulticolumnSorting=true" in master table view for the above scenario.
Margret
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jul 2013, 09:25 AM
Hi ,any update on this?
Maria Ilieva
Telerik team
answered on 18 Jul 2013, 08:28 AM
Hello Margret,

Setting "AllowMulticolumnSorting=true" should properly work with custom paging scenarios. What are the exact issues you are currently facing? Provide some more information on your exact implementation and the issues you are facing so that we could further research on your case and provide proper solution.

Regards,
Maria Ilieva
Telerik
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to the blog feed now.
Tags
Grid
Asked by
Ashish
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Maria Ilieva
Telerik team
Margret
Top achievements
Rank 1