This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadControls Design time and Intellisense in Visual Studio 2010 Beta2

6 Answers 378 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Telerik Admin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Telerik Admin asked on 12 Nov 2009, 12:43 PM
There is a limitation in Visual Studio 2010 Beta2 we identified recently: The design time of RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX is not working properly and the intellisense is broken in a standard setup (having the Telerik.Web.UI assembly in the website bin folder).

While we are working together with Microsoft for having this fixed, here are two workarounds:

1. You won't get the design time or the intellisense broken if you perform these two steps when closing your project in VS2010:
  • Open a page, containing a RadControl in design mode (ignore the design mode errors);
  • Close the IDE. The next load of the solution in Visual Studio 2010 should open the page in design mode again, but the designers should be loaded successfully and the intellisense should be working properly.

2. Add the Telerik.Web.UI assembly to the GAC or copy it to the [VisualStudioInstallDir]\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies folder. The Visual Studio IDE would load the Telerik.Web.UI assembly properly.

Best regards,
The Telerik team

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Libertad
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Nov 2009, 11:08 PM
Hi
I've done your  workarounds but the design time error still exists.
kencox
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Nov 2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the tip.

I had some limited success with the workaround. The RadGrid works at design-time now, but RadAjaxManager and RadAjaxPanel are broken and reporting "Unknown server tag'.

Ken
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 15 Jan 2010, 09:49 AM
Hello guys,

I am happy to inform you that for the Q1 2010 release of RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX (expected in the beginning of March) we will provide a native .NET4 build of the controls against the current VS 2010 version by that time. We will also do our best to address any design-time issues we currently have with the VS 2010 Beta2 version.

Kind regards,
Sebastian
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Ryan Means
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Apr 2010, 05:12 PM
I am using the 2009 Q3 Release of the ASP.NET AJAX controls and have the tag prefix registered in the web.config file.  However, while using the RTM of VS 2010 the intellisense is not picking up on the tag prefix.  Did you have any progress on this issue with Microsoft?  I have also put the Telerik.Web.UI and Telerik.Web.UI.Design assemblies in the GAC and this still did not work.
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 27 Apr 2010, 02:11 PM
Hi Ryan,

Yes, the problem was solved correctly in the RC version of the IDE and we verified intellisense works correctly with the RTM.

Basically the addition of the Telerik.Web.UI assembly to the GAC or to the [VisualStudioInstallDir]\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies or [VisualStudioInstallDir]\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies folders should not be needed with VS2010 RTM.

Could it be that you have an older version of the Telerik.Web.UI assembly in the PublicAssemblies/PrivateAssemblies folders?

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Ryan Means
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Apr 2010, 02:55 PM
I was using the Q3 2009 version when I first experienced the issue, then I upgraded to Q1 2010 and was still having the issue.  I do have the telerik tagPrefix registered in the web.config, and the only way I was able to get it to work was using the registration below.

<system.web> 
    <pages theme="Default">  
        <controls> 
            <add tagPrefix="telerik" namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" assembly="Telerik.Web.UI"/>  
            <add tagPrefix="telerik" namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" assembly="Telerik.Web.Design, Version=2010.1.415.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4"/>  
            <add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>  
        </controls> 
    </pages> 
<system.web> 
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Telerik Admin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Answers by
Libertad