This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Error message using VSE to install Q1 2009 SP2

16 Answers 208 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Stuart Hemming
Top achievements
Rank 2
Stuart Hemming asked on 28 May 2009, 09:54 AM
I've just installed the VSE with no apparent problems.

I then upgraded my machine to install SP2 of the AJAX controls.

Firing up my project and running Telerik|Install Wizard reported, correctly, that the solution was currently usinging an old version (SP1, to be precise) and I opted to upgrade.

The machine clicked and wrrred a bit and I got an error about a file no being accessible. I believe the file was "en-US.tdf" but I may be misremembering. I clicked OK, the only option, and was returned to my project.

Checking the "bin" directory it appears that the correct DLL is in place so I compiled the thing and tried to run it. I got an error saying that it couldn't load the Telerik.Web.UI.DLL, but it was looking for the previously installed version. A quick edit of the web.config file fixed that problem.

So, 2 questions:
  1. Should I worry about the inaccessible file?
  2. Why doesn't the upgrade wizard upgrade the entry in web.config.

Enquiring minds need to know...

--
Stuart

16 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 28 May 2009, 11:12 AM
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the detailed report!

Your first question is a really tough one indeed.

Here is some background instead:
When reconfiguring the project, the wizard performs the following steps:
  • Update the project references to the Telerik.Web.UI assembly
  • Update the RadSpell dictionaries (to ensure the latest ones)
  • Modify the web.config file entries
It seems that for some reason the second step failed on your side (hence the web.config entries missing).

I am interested to discover the reason for that to happen, so that we avoid the problem in the future. Can you help us with the identification? If yes, did you have some process which had the dictionary opened (thus not allowing the VSExtensions change the file)?

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Stuart Hemming
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 28 May 2009, 11:23 AM
Erjan,

We don't use the RadEditor at all, so no, we wouldn't have had anything open that could have interfered with the upgrade process, at least not that I'm aware of.

--
Stuart
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 28 May 2009, 11:44 AM
Hi Stuart,

Well, that's interesting, I guess some scanning/antivirus software could have locked the file...

Can you try reconfiguring the website again and check if you will encounter the same problem?

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Stuart Hemming
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 28 May 2009, 12:48 PM
Erjan,

I ran the "Configure Telerik Web Site" option and got no errors, so I don't know if that helps us or not.

--
Stuart
Accepted
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 28 May 2009, 12:55 PM
Hi Stuart,

Yes, it helps by identifying that the error you encountered the previous time was not a regular one, but it was caused by some file lock. This is, because the Configure and Upgrade wizards use the same background logic.

On the other hand, it does not help us identify what had locked the file.

Anyways, we will add some code to check for an error. As a result, when such an error happens, the wizard will continue its job after displaying an informational message.

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Stuart Hemming
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 28 May 2009, 01:05 PM
OK,

Cheers mate.

--
Stuart
Stuart Hemming
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 28 May 2009, 01:56 PM
Erjan,

I don't know if this is related to the same problem, but I've just opened one of my pages in the designer and all of the RadControls are showing the same error. The error reads:

"Error Creating Control - <object name>
Failed to create designer 'Telerik.Web.UI.<control name>, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2009.1.527.35 <then some culture and key details>'"

Thoughts?

--
Stuart
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 28 May 2009, 02:11 PM
Hi Stuart,

No, the designer error is a different one. This most often happens when the RadControls assemblies are installed by a zip file instead of using the installer. The difference is that the Telerik.Web.Design (v 2009.1.527.x) assembly is not added to the GAC automatically.

Can you verify its existence in the GAC?

One thing we plan adding to the VSExtensions upgrade wizard is a check for that assembly in the GAC. If not found the wizard would either ask to copy it (if found locally), or will warn that the design time could be broken.

Best,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Stuart Hemming
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 28 May 2009, 02:50 PM
> Can you verify its existence in the GAC?
That I can't 'cos <shame>I don't know how</shame>.

--
Stuart
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 28 May 2009, 02:58 PM
Hi Stuart,

Not a problem, you should just open Windows Explorer, navigate to the %WinDir%\assembly folder and check the existence of the assembly.

By the way, you might find my colleague, Atanas Korchev's blog post regarding the Telerik.Web.Design assembly useful, it contains several approaches to solving the designer problem if you prefer not to use the assembly in the GAC.

Best,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Stuart Hemming
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 28 May 2009, 03:03 PM
OK I think I've added the control to the GAC, at least gacutil /l includes the following line ...

Telerik.Web.Design, Version=2009.1.527.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4, processorArchitecture=MSIL

However, the design page still shows the error.

FYI, I added the control using the following cmd ...

gacutil /i "c:\Program Files\Telerik\RadControls for ASPNET AJAX Q1 2009\bin\Telerik.Web.Design.dll"
--
Stuart

Stuart Hemming
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 28 May 2009, 03:08 PM
Oops. Installed the v2.0 version.

And now, unsurprisingly, it works!

Thanks mate.

--
Stuart

KDL
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Sep 2009, 05:04 PM
FYI, the upgrade doesn't check out the "en-US.tdf" file if it's under source control (VSS, in my case). Once I manually checked out that file (making it writeable) the upgrade worked. For some reason, the upgrade process was able to check out other files in the project, just not that one.

Hope this helps someone.
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 11 Sep 2009, 07:32 AM
Hi KDL,

Thank you for sharing your finds. We will definitely look into the problem. 

Could you please check if your "en-Us.tdf" file is read-only when it is not checked out? That could cause the source control to not register a file checkout.

Kind regards,
Andrey
the Telerik team

Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
KDL
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Sep 2009, 01:21 PM
Yes, VSS makes all "checked-in" files read-only until they're checked out (at which point they become writeable). By the way, any RadSpell dictionary files will cause this problem, not just the english file.

When I ran the upgrade wizard, it successfully modified and checked-out the web.config file but not any of the dictionary files -- rather it just reported that it couldn't get access to one of the dictionary files and quit the upgrade process. Once i manually checked out the dictionary files, the process ran without issue.
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 11 Sep 2009, 03:01 PM
Hello KDL,

Thank you for pointing this out. The issue you are experiencing is indeed an omission on our side and we will fix it for the next official release of RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX.

Please, find your Telerik account updated.

Sincerely yours,
Andrey
the Telerik team

Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
Stuart Hemming
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
Stuart Hemming
Top achievements
Rank 2