This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

BC30002: Type 'Telerik.Web.UI.RadChart' is not defined.

6 Answers 850 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Doug
Top achievements
Rank 1
Doug asked on 23 Dec 2014, 07:33 PM
in vs 2010 I get the chart to show in design mode (telerik:RadChart)
but view the page in my local website I get the error 'Telerik.Web.UI.RadChart' is not defined.

in vs I do have a compile error showing it says "Type 'Telerik.Web.UI.RadChart' is not defined."

it seems to me perhaps I don't have a correct web.config setting or a correct dll in bin folder

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Doug
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Dec 2014, 08:43 PM
I get the same thing for
telerik:RadScriptManager
telerik:RadSkinManager
telerik:RadHtmlChart
etc
I tried putting a few of them in the GAC from 4.0 as my framework is set to 4.0 (using vs command prompt)
nada
I tried Telerik > Reporting > upgrade
nada
I tried Telerik > ui for .net ajax > upgrade
close vs and reopened
nada

Ianko
Telerik team
answered on 26 Dec 2014, 08:22 AM
Hi Doug,

To use the Telerik control in the Design view of the Visual Studio you should make sure that either the Telerik.Web.Design.dll assembly is added to the GAC or to be added as a reference to the project. Note that if exists into the GAC and added as a references too the Design-time will not work, only one of the two options should be applied. 

You can find further advices on the matter by following the Design-time Troubleshooting article.

Regards,
Ianko
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Doug
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Dec 2014, 07:57 PM
i finally got this resolved but not sure if i want it this way.
I opened vs command prompt > gacutil -u Telerik.Web.Design (says it is used by application)
i listed and see 3 versions in there
i ran the gacutil -i "E:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\UI for ASP.NET AJAX Q3 2014\Bin35\Telerik.Web.UI.dll" (for all 3 versions) and installed it into GAC.
then in website i removed the references.
now when i added radHtmlChart to page it works.

i would rather have it using a dll in bin folder but i am unsure how to change web.config to make it happen or how to uninstall the design dll (it errors saying it is used by another application)

it seems when i just put a reference in the bin folder it sees different version in GAC perhaps broken version?
​
Doug
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 Dec 2014, 02:21 AM
i spoke too soon. the site errors on cannot load the telerik dlls. then if i put the dll into the bin folder the site works but then it doesn't load the controls such as radhtmlchart. it thinks Telerik.Web.UI.dll is empty and has no controls inside it.
seems like it might be because of the multiple versions in the GAC vs the dll in the website.

i think i need proper web.config entries to tell it the version that is in the bin folder for all the telerik controls and assemblys
Doug
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Jan 2015, 10:23 PM
i made some progress and found I think the issues I was having was picking the wrong version.
I changed to version 3.5 and I can get it working.
when I looked into my web.config there are a few things that may be forcing the site into 3.5 framework.
so I will try to see if I can upgrade my site or just target the 3.5 version
Ianko
Telerik team
answered on 05 Jan 2015, 08:59 AM
Hi Doug,

I suggest examining this blog post (Working with Assemblies in the GAC) as it will help you manage the assemblies installed in the GAC.

As for the web.config, you can examine the Adding the Telerik Controls to an ASP.NET WebForm article.

Regards,
Ianko
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
Doug
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Doug
Top achievements
Rank 1
Ianko
Telerik team