This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Download Control

3 Answers 64 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
David Beck
Top achievements
Rank 1
David Beck asked on 07 May 2012, 04:27 PM
Hi,

I have read other places in the forum that you guys have gotten a lot of request for a download control. Similar to the Upload but for downloading large files.

At the time of that Forum post 2006 you hadn't talk about it or set a date yet. Do you know if you guys are still planning to do this control? and if so possible time-frame as many of us seem to be anxious for it.

Keep up the great work on the controls :)

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Genady Sergeev
Telerik team
answered on 11 May 2012, 08:01 AM
Hello David,

We haven't considered implementing download control, because the latter is basically <a href> pointing to a file that resides in the virtual directory of the web site. Are there any features that you want to see and that aren't possible with normal <a> tag.

Greetings,
Genady Sergeev
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
David Beck
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 May 2012, 05:13 AM
Hi Genady,

If I was planning to do that simple of a download control i wouldnt request one :)

1. Im thinking more of the lines of Serving Files that are located Outside the website...
2. Ability to download dynmic content
3. Ability to download Large files like 3GB files with Resuming capabilities
4. Ability to generate a Link if the download doesnt start automatically.

A Sample can be seen here from a previous ASP.net Controls suite i use to use. They have some very useful controls that i would love to see Telerik start to offer as i believe your developers can take even their concept of controls to a new idea..

http://demo.essentialobjects.com/Demos/Downloader/Demo.aspx
Genady Sergeev
Telerik team
answered on 04 Jun 2012, 08:53 AM
Hi David,

Thank you for the suggestions. We will have to research a bit more on this on order to clear out the pros and cons of having such widget. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Greetings,
Genady Sergeev
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
David Beck
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Genady Sergeev
Telerik team
David Beck
Top achievements
Rank 1