This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadAjaxLoadingPanel -

3 Answers 80 Views
Ajax
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
JH
Top achievements
Rank 1
JH asked on 13 Jul 2010, 01:12 PM
Hi,

I have started to use RadAjaxManager instead of ASP UpdatePanels to control what section of the page that should be updated.
I also know how to use the RadAjaxLoadingPanel in combination with AjaxSettings to show a loading symbol over different controls (see below).

<telerik:RadAjaxManager>
   <telerik:AjaxSetting AjaxControlID="btnDummy">
      <UpdatedControls>
         <telerik:AjaxUpdatedControl ControlID="pnlToUpdate" LoadingPanelID="RadAjaxLoadingPanel1" />
      </UpdatedControls>
   </telerik:AjaxSetting>
</telerik:RadAjaxManager>
<telerik:RadAjaxLoadingPanel ID="RadAjaxLoadingPanel1" runat="server">
</telerik:RadAjaxLoadingPanel>

What I want to achieve now is to show the RadAjaxLoadingPanel loading symbol, but not over a specific control.
For example, I would like to be able to display a loading animation next to a button when pressing that button. How can this be achieved with the RadAjaxManager?

Thanks!

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Dimo
Telerik team
answered on 13 Jul 2010, 01:35 PM
Hi JH,

When you set IsSticky="true" to the RadAjaxLoadingPanel, then the control is displayed at the place it exists in the page markup.

In addition, you can show and hide a RadAjaxLoadingPanel explicitly by using the RadAjaxManager's OnRequestStart and OnResponseEnd events.

Please refer to the control's documentation:

http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/ajxshowhideloadingpanel.html

http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/ajxshowloadingpanelnexttoajaxinitiator.html

The following demo shows how to position the loading panel at a certain place on the page - you can use it to position the loading panel next to any element on the page.

http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/ajxcenterloadingpanel.html

Best wishes,
Dimo
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
JH
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Jul 2010, 04:55 PM
Hi,

I've read those guides, and can still not get it to work properly.
Should I treat the sticky loading panel as an updated control (as below?)
I do not want to set the DefaultLoadingPanelID for the entire RadAjaxManager.
I have also tried to set the sticky loading panel as LoadingPanelID for any random updated control, but this only leads to a white page while loading. What am I doing wrong?

<telerik:RadAjaxManager>
   <telerik:AjaxSetting AjaxControlID="btnDummy">
      <UpdatedControls>
         <telerik:AjaxUpdatedControl ControlID="RadAjaxLoadingPanel1" LoadingPanelID="RadAjaxLoadingPanel1" />
      </UpdatedControls>
   </telerik:AjaxSetting>
</telerik:RadAjaxManager>
<telerik:RadAjaxLoadingPanel ID="RadAjaxLoadingPanel1" runat="server">

<asp:Button id="btnDummy" runat="server"/>
<telerik:RadAjaxLoadingPanel ID="RadAjaxLoadingPanel1" runat="server" IsSticky="true">

Thanks
<asp:Panel id="pnlDummy" runat="server" />
Dimo
Telerik team
answered on 14 Jul 2010, 02:19 PM
Hello JH,

As I said, when you set IsSticky="true", the RadAjaxLoadingPanel is displayed where you have placed it in the page markup. In addition, you should take care of the control's width, height and positioning yourself.

>> Should I treat the sticky loading panel as an updated control (as below?)

No.

>> I do not want to set the DefaultLoadingPanelID for the entire RadAjaxManager.

You don't have to.

>> I have also tried to set the sticky loading panel as LoadingPanelID for any random updated control, but this only leads to a white page while loading. What am I doing wrong?

Probably you have tried to implement a loading panel which spans over the whole page? However, you should either set the control's Skin property, or use a loading template (e.g. add an animated image, etc).

Please inspect the provided help articles once again, especially this one:

http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/ajxshowloadingpanelnexttoajaxinitiator.html

If you need further assistance, please send a runnable web page and explain what exactly are you trying to do.

All the best,
Dimo
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tags
Ajax
Asked by
JH
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Dimo
Telerik team
JH
Top achievements
Rank 1