This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

WebResource.axd resources not loaded when the project is created in VS2013

5 Answers 323 Views
Grid
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jan Hansen
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jan Hansen asked on 07 Aug 2013, 08:49 AM
Hi

I've created a completely standard, empty web project in VS 2012 / 2013 - and the 2013 version doesnt allow me to see the png sprites and style sheets that _should_ be served by WebResource.axd. The Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd requests seem to work just fine. 

In both projects I've referenced the Bin45 versions of Telerik.Web.UI.dll and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins.dll, located in the "dependencies" folder, but deleted to save file size in the upload.

In the 2013 version I have removed a reference to System.Core (probably irrelevant) and I have aligned the minor differences between the two project's web.config files. None of the changes I made caused any differences whatsoever.

I'm attaching screenshots of the 2012/2013 differences.

This is a copy of a support ticket I created, I'll post an answer here if I get one before the forum manages to fix the problem :o)

Here is the web.config that works in 2012, but not in 2013
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!--
  For more information on how to configure your ASP.NET application, please visit
  -->
<configuration>
    <!--
    For a description of web.config changes for .NET 4.5 see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235367.

The following attributes can be set on the <httpRuntime> tag.
      <system.Web>
        <httpRuntime targetFramework="4.5" />
      </system.Web>
  -->
    <system.web>
        <compilation debug="true" targetFramework="4.5">

<!-- this section is added because it was in the VS2013 solution -->
            <assemblies>
                <add assembly="System.Design, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" />
                <add assembly="System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089" />
                <add assembly="System.Speech, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
            </assemblies>
            <!-- end section added -->
        </compilation>

<!-- this section is added because it was in the VS2013 solution -->
        <httpRuntime targetFramework="4.5" />
        <!-- end section added -->
        <pages controlRenderingCompatibilityVersion="4.0" />
        <httpHandlers>
            <add path="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource" verb="*" validate="false" />
        </httpHandlers>
    </system.web>
    <system.webServer>
        <validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false" />
        <handlers>
            <add name="Telerik_Web_UI_WebResource_axd" verb="*" preCondition="integratedMode" path="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource" />
        </handlers>
    </system.webServer>
</configuration>

The GridTest.aspx file
<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="GridTest.aspx.cs" Inherits="EmptyVs2012withTelerik.GridTest" %>

<%@ Register assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" tagprefix="telerik" %>

<!DOCTYPE html>

<head runat="server">
    <title></title>
</head>
<body>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
        <telerik:RadStyleSheetManager ID="RadStyleSheetManager1" runat="server">
        </telerik:RadStyleSheetManager>
        <telerik:RadAjaxManager ID="RadAjaxManager1" runat="server">
        </telerik:RadAjaxManager>
        <telerik:RadScriptManager ID="RadScriptManager1" runat="server">
            <Scripts>
                <asp:ScriptReference Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Name="Telerik.Web.UI.Common.Core.js">
                </asp:ScriptReference>
                <asp:ScriptReference Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Name="Telerik.Web.UI.Common.jQuery.js">
                <asp:ScriptReference Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Name="Telerik.Web.UI.Common.jQueryInclude.js">
            </Scripts>
        </telerik:RadScriptManager>
    <div>

<telerik:RadGrid ID="RadGrid1" runat="server" AllowPaging="True" CellSpacing="0" GridLines="None">
        </telerik:RadGrid>

</div>
    </form>
</body>
</html>

And the GridTest.aspx.cs
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;

namespace EmptyVs2012withTelerik
{
    public partial class GridTest : System.Web.UI.Page
    {
        protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            var persons = new List<Person>();

persons.Add(new Person() { FirstName = "Jan", LastName = "Hansen", Age = 37 });
            persons.Add(new Person() { FirstName = "Jannik", LastName = "Meibom", Age = 39 });
            persons.Add(new Person() { FirstName = "Anne", LastName = "Hansen", Age = 40 });
            persons.Add(new Person() { FirstName = "Jannik", LastName = "Meibom", Age = 39 });
            persons.Add(new Person() { FirstName = "Anne", LastName = "Hansen", Age = 40 });

RadGrid1.DataSource = persons;
        }
    }

public class Person
    {
        public string FirstName { get; set; }
        public string LastName { get; set; }
        public int Age { get; set; }
    }
}

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Jan Hansen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Aug 2013, 07:17 AM
Answer from Telerik:

Hello Jan,

We are aware of bugs in VS2013 that break webresource requests and they are already reported to Microsoft:
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/792689/webresource-axd-returns-a-200-ok-empty-response#details
and
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/794120/embedded-stylesheets-have-zero-content-when-requested

We are aware of a couple ways to alleviate this right now before an official fix is available:
- Disable VS13 Browser Link feature by clicking on the Browser Link combo button on the Standard toolbar and unchecking "Enable Browser Link"
- Or disable the debugging <compilation debug="false">  

Regards,
Marin Bratanov
Telerik 

alizator
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Sep 2014, 06:10 AM
Hello,

Do you have any news on this subject? I checked the links but i didn't see any news.

Thanks,
Alex
Jan Hansen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Sep 2014, 09:38 AM
Hi

I think it works as it should now - are you sure you're having the same problem? If so, contact support and reference this post.

/Jan
alizator
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Nov 2014, 11:22 AM
Hello,

Yes I still have an issue somehow related. The problem is that if the "Enable browser link" from Visual Studio 2013 is checked the custom skin project existing in the solution stop working properly. 

Indeed I have an old version of Telerik 2013.1.220.40. 

I tried to update to the latest version but we had a lot of other issues after that. For the moment an upgrade is not possible. 

Did you tried with a new version and it's working? From what version?

Many thanks,
Alex
Maria Ilieva
Telerik team
answered on 28 Nov 2014, 08:37 AM
Hello Gatej,

We were able to fix most of the issues related to the browser link feature of VS 2013 for the last release of the controls.The only issue that is mostly related to the jquery and still persists in hierarchical grid is the one described below:

http://www.telerik.com/forums/the-new-browser-link-feature-in-vs-2013-is-causing-an-error-when-detailtable-of-hierarchy-radgrid-is-expanded

In case you have hierarchical grid scenario you simply should disable the Browser Link feature.

Regards,
Maria Ilieva
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Tags
Grid
Asked by
Jan Hansen
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Jan Hansen
Top achievements
Rank 1
alizator
Top achievements