This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Severe Memory Leak in rad 2012 .2 & .3 releases

3 Answers 35 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Rory
Top achievements
Rank 1
Rory asked on 05 Feb 2013, 05:37 PM
We recently came across a huge spike in memory loss that is not getting cleaned up by IE8. This wasn't an issue in release 1 of 2012 any ideas what has changed since then? The leak seems to occur when any rad control is placed within an iframe. I'm seeing numbers in the megabytes of unreleased memory after just a few minutes of use.

Has anyone else seen this? Any workarounds for our IE8 users, short of dropping either Telerik or Iframes?

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
answered on 08 Feb 2013, 08:39 AM
Hi Rory,

Perhaps the only significant change is the newer jQuery version. It seems to have some leaks in iframes, meaning that it does not dispose all elements it creates for testing browser features properly. Old IE versions are generally prone to leaks and iframes only make the situation worse. They simply do not dispose properly and there isn't much we can do about this. An option to reduce memory issues is to avoid iframes as much as possible with such old browsers. You can also take a look at this blog post that shows a reason why IE would leak memory with certain objects that have IDs. Nevertheless, if you can isolate a small sample case that shows the controls that you are having issues with we will look into it.

All the best,
Marin Bratanov
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Rory
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Feb 2013, 12:10 AM
Hi Marin I definitely narrowed it down to jquery. When deploying the current dlls, disabling the embedded jquery and linking to an older version of jquery (1.6.4) the leak went away. I then did some research on the JQuery bug tracking system and this one looks like it is the issue and it will be fixed in Jquery version 1.8

http://bugs.jquery.com/ticket/11757

For now linking to the older version of jquery seems to be a good workaround.

Thanks,

Rory H.
Rory
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Feb 2013, 12:26 AM
I also just verified that using the latest jquery 1.9 instead of the Telerik embedded version fixes the memory leak too.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Rory
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
Rory
Top achievements
Rank 1