This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Samples in Visual Studio 2013

6 Answers 145 Views
Documentation and Tutorials
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
George
Top achievements
Rank 2
George asked on 16 Oct 2014, 07:53 PM
I am trying switch to Telerik from obout because of perceived support for VS 2013 and obout seems to be not going forward.  I developing in ASPs. I told Telerik to use my Visual Studio 2013 when I installed it.  The install sure messed up my Visual Studio settings. 

I tried to run the ASP.NET AJAX sample and get the error " C:\Program Files\...\HtmlSampleTests.csproj cannot be opened because it project type is not supported by the version of the application."   It is opening VS2010 (which I installed for obout) and giving the error.

I opened it with VS 2013 using "open with..." and it opened fine.

Both VS2010 and VS2013 use a .sln extension but somehow 2010 verses 2013 is determined.  The tootip on the Sample .sln says 2010, while the tooltip on my own .sln says 2013.  I have no idea how the systems is determining the difference.   Telerik should make the .sln open 2013 for the 2013 install.

In the end I am not quite sure what this sample is for, I was hoping form implementation samples.  Start just gives an error.

Cheers,
George

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Ventsi
Telerik team
answered on 20 Oct 2014, 03:41 PM
Hi George,

Thank you for opening this thread.

The project you are trying to open is not part of the Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX installation. This is the reason why it does not contain any implementation samples of using the controls.

Actually, the project is deployed as part of the Testing Framework product and as such its purpose is to show you how to test  AJAX functionality and not how to use the Telerik AJAX controls.

Regarding your installation - checking the Visual Studio 2013 feature in the installer means that the Visual Studio extensions for the particular product will be installed in VS 2013. It does not mean that the sample solutions will be opened with this specific version of Visual Studio.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,
Ventsi
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

George
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 20 Oct 2014, 06:01 PM
Regarding the installion, my point is that some .sln's open to 2010 and some to 2013.  I have no idea how Windows 8 determines a different program for the same extension be it seems to.  The install should deal with this if they can since opening 2010 does not work on the 2013 project supplied in the DevCraft install.
Ventsi
Telerik team
answered on 22 Oct 2014, 11:20 AM
Hello George,

When created with particular Visual Studio version, each *.sln file contains a piece of information about the VS version which preferably to be used to open it (example for VS 2010):

Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 11.00
    # Visual Studio 2010

This information is used when the default application to open *.sln files is set to Visual Studio Version Selector. If a particular version of VS is used as a default application for the solution files - this information is skipped and each solution is opened with this particular studio.

The installer does not control this piece of information as it simply deploys the files on your machine.

We have tried to reproduce the behavior you have described but this led to no success and the specified project was opened in Visual Studio 2010 without any issues.

If you open the csproj file with a text editor application you can see that the type of the project is set to Test ({3AC096D0-A1C2-E12C-1390-A8335801FDAB}) and Windows (C#) ({FAE04EC0-301F-11D3-BF4B-00C04F79EFBC}).

Could you please check if your instance of Visual Studio 2010 has any issues opening this kind of projects in general?

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,
Ventsi
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

George
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 22 Oct 2014, 10:13 PM
To try and go forward with all my problems uninstalled Visual Studio 2010 along with all Telerik, and then installed ASP.NET AJAX with only Visual Studio 2013 where I am trying to get the tutorial working with little success (another thread).

What I originally did was to install all of Telerik DevTools on a Windows 8.1 64 Pro box that had Visual Studio 2013 and Visual Studio 2010 picking 2013 for Telerik to use.  Then Windows 8 sometimes opened 2010 and sometime 2013 for different Telerik items.
Accepted
Ventsi
Telerik team
answered on 23 Oct 2014, 08:41 AM
Hi George,

As I have already mentioned choosing Visual Studio 2013 when installing Telerik product does not mean that this specific version of Visual Studio will be used to open all the resources related to the product and deployed on the machine by the installation. Which Visual Studio will be opened for different items is based on your Windows settings. Our installer does not modify file type associations of your operating system.

As you can see in the installer, the Visual Studio 2013 option is a sub-feature of the Visual Studio Extensions feature. This means that the Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX extensions will be installed in your Visual Studio 2013

Please review my previous response for details about the behavior you have described.

Regards,
Ventsi
Telerik

George
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 24 Oct 2014, 04:32 PM
See this forum post for solution to getting the Sample working.
Tags
Documentation and Tutorials
Asked by
George
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Ventsi
Telerik team
George
Top achievements
Rank 2