This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadTreeList really slow at about 4000 rows

4 Answers 147 Views
TreeList
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Vadim
Top achievements
Rank 1
Vadim asked on 25 Dec 2012, 01:33 PM
Hello. We need your help in issue connected with how exacly we need to assign DataSource to RadTreeList control. (ASP.NET WEB FORMS)
We followed several scenarios:

1)  Tried to handle NeedDataSource event like in manual page. By using LinqDataSourse or SqlDataSource, or just list of samle data (about 4000 rows) it starts to be really slow.

2)  As far as I am concerned, the above scenatio is known as Advanced Binding (handling needdatasource event). So, Is it a good approach to use simple binding scenario to get component work faster. 

3) Do we need to add RadTreeList into RadAjaxPanel to make it faster or it does not matter?

4)  Is it possible to use treelist without re-binding / re-assigning DataSource or it is a core feature of this component ?

Merry Christmas,
looking forwar to hearing from you,
Tafrov Vadim

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Pavlina
Telerik team
answered on 25 Dec 2012, 02:02 PM
Hello,

Most of RadTreeList's commands like expand/collapse, page and sort are rebinding commands. This means RadTreeList will need to rebind every time one of these commands are initiated. Rebinding means RadTreeList needs to build a hierarchical tree from all the records in the data source. In effect, traversing all the data on each rebind is inevitable. The only suggestion we can make is to reduce the number of records in the data source.

Kind regards,
Pavlina
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Erik
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 03 Aug 2013, 12:38 PM
That's a good suggestion Pavlina. I will tell my clients to stop adding records, and I will get back to you with their answer...
Erik
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 03 Aug 2013, 01:28 PM
On a serious note:

is a webservice a solution? Like for the treeview:
http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/treeview-load-on-demand-web-service-tutorial.html

Erik
Pavlina
Telerik team
answered on 07 Aug 2013, 01:33 PM
Hello,

You could try using the Load-on-Demand functionality of the TreeList demonstrated in the example below, which allows the developer to load sub-items only when their parent is expanded:

This should help you improve the performance.

Regards,
Pavlina
Telerik
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to the blog feed now.
Tags
TreeList
Asked by
Vadim
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Pavlina
Telerik team
Erik
Top achievements
Rank 2