This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadCheckBox

2 Answers 248 Views
CheckBox
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
Michael asked on 26 May 2016, 03:45 PM

I'm a noob to Telerik controls. I just purchased the UI for ASP.NET AJAX controls. I just started playing with them and I'm stuck getting a simple RadCheckBox deployed. I've got the RadScriptManager and RadSkinManger in my aspx page. I added a RadCheckBox which for some reason shows as a button in the IDE. I've tried configuring many different properties of the check box. When I run it all I see is the Text I have defined for it. There is no checkbox to click. If I click the text it behaves (the first click) like a button (it depresses) but then on subsequent clicks, nothing.

I'm sure there is something super simple that I'm just not seeing. I haven't played with any other controls so I'm not sure if I'm not configured properly?

Thanks for any help!

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 May 2016, 04:13 PM
I think I may see now. Using the RadButton and setting the ToggleType to checkBox makes a checkbox. But, what is the RadCheckBox used for?
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
answered on 31 May 2016, 06:14 AM

Hello Michael,

RadCheckBox renders as a <button> HTML element, so if the styles and scripts that apply visual appearance and functionality on it are not loaded, you will get a button. This happens when the requests for those resources fail to return. You can use the browser dev toolbar to see if this is the case.

Considering you are using a RadScriptManager, there are two common reasons why this may happen:

I also advise that you ensure your web.config contains the needed handler registrations and that they are correct. You can copy them from this section (Example 1): http://docs.telerik.com/devtools/aspnet-ajax/general-information/web-config-settings-overview#mandatory-additions-to-the-webconfig.

If you are using RadCheckBox and RadButton on the same page, make sure the RadButton RenderMode is set to Lightweight: http://docs.telerik.com/devtools/aspnet-ajax/controls/checkbox/troubleshooting/distorted-appearance.

As for the difference between RadButton and RadCheckBox—RadButton is a control that tries to do all at (buttons, link buttons, radio buttons, image buttons, checkboxes) and thus is difficult to configure and setup properly. This is why we created standalone controls for this purpose (RadPushButton, RadLinkButton, RadImageButton, RadCheckBox and we are now working on a RadioButton+RadioButtonList). They are easy to setup and configure and also default to the lightweight render mode which makes use of CSS3 and font icons to make them more flexible and easier to customize.

Thus, I advise you use RadCheckBox instead of RadButton.

I hope this explains the situation. Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Marin Bratanov
Telerik
Do you need help with upgrading your ASP.NET AJAX, WPF or WinForms projects? Check the Telerik API Analyzer and share your thoughts.
Tags
CheckBox
Asked by
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team