Rad Scheduler

61 posts, 0 answers
  1. Jon Hobbs
    Jon Hobbs avatar
    48 posts

Posted 24 Apr 2007 Link to this post

Hi Guys,

I am actually in the middle of building a community site which requires a month-view calendar which people can add events to and view when they click them.

I was actually going to use an embedded google calendar because Rad:Calendar only has a basic month view and as far as I know doesn't show events spanning multiple days like google calendar does.

When I saw Rad scheduler  on telerik.com/quest I was delighted as It looks like it can do many of the same things but then I saw that it wasn't being released yet, so I have a few questions.

* Do you have a release date yet ?
    * Will it show a month long view with mon-sun across the top and 4 rows for the weeks ?
    * Will you be able to redirect the user to a different page when they click an event.
    * will it show multi-day events in the same way as google calendar ? i.e. a box spanning across all the days.
    * Will it be quick loading ?

Many thanks,

Jon
  2. Todd Anglin
    Todd Anglin avatar
    2040 posts

Jon-

The exact release date for RadScheduler has not yet been set, but I believe the goal right now is to make an early preview part of the May "Prometheus" update. It will have a month, week, and day view and have support for multi-day events. I expect the API will also make it very is to handle click events in any way you need to. As for quick loading, of course it will be. =)

Watch for more details in the coming weeks.

Thanks~
    Todd
  3. Jon Hobbs
    Jon Hobbs avatar
    48 posts

Thanks Todd, that's very useful to know.

The only thing I forgot to ask was whether it will have iCal export like google calendar. Sorry for all the questions.

Jon
  4. Todd Anglin
    Todd Anglin avatar
    2040 posts

Jon-

Not sure. Though I'd expect you could easily add iCal export using the RadScheduler API. Someone from the dev team may be able to provide more details. Stay tuned, though, since most details will revealed closer to the preview release.

Thanks~
    Todd
  5. Bruno Lopes
    Bruno Lopes avatar
    13 posts

Hi there,

anyone knows if scheduler will have the possibility to use multiple columns per day like in an appointment book?

Cheers
  6. Todd Anglin
    Todd Anglin avatar
    2040 posts

Ricardo,

RadScheduler will support multiple appointments during the same time slot (just like Oultook). Is that what you mean by multiple column support?

Thanks~
    Todd
  7. Paige Cook
    Paige Cook avatar
    14 posts

Will RadScheduler be able to display views that show multiple appointments(tasks) for multiple people(resources) in a fashion similar to the Web Scheduler from ComponentGo?

Thank you in advance.
  8. Todd Anglin
    Todd Anglin avatar
    2040 posts

Shuan and pc-

I'm not very familiar with how other scheduling components work, so I can't comment directly on how RadScheduler will compare. I'm also not sure about the multiple resource detail. The dev may be able to comment on that.

Let me reiterate that the details for RadScheduler are not fully ready for release. As we get closer to the release I promise more details will be available. =)

Thanks~
    Todd
  9. Bruno Lopes
    Bruno Lopes avatar
    13 posts

Thanks for the answer. I was not refering to multiple appointments in the same time slot. I'm looking for a WebScheduler component that let's me build an appointment book...

Eg. having 4 columns with employees for the same day

Regards
  10. Dave Navarro
    Dave Navarro avatar
    150 posts

Posted 25 Apr 2007 Link to this post

Hello,

This sounds great. What platform will you support with this new release? .Net 2.0 only? Or will you support 1.x as well? You really got some of us when your new reporting tools were only supported in .Net 2.0.

We had to scrap plans for the new reporting tools and continue on with SQL Server Reporting Services 2000 because we haven't moved our apps to the newest platform.

Let me know and thanks,

Dave
  11. Per Holmqvist
    Per Holmqvist avatar
    194 posts

Hi David!

RAD Scheduling is a Prometheus component which leaves NET1.X behind cause it is only for net2.

Regards Pelle
  12. Atanas Korchev
    Admin
    Atanas Korchev avatar
    8462 posts

Hello all,

Let me shed some light about RadScheduler :)

*Do you have a release date yet ?

RadScheduler should be officially release in our Q2 2007 release. This means at the beginning of September. A preview version should be available at the end of May if everything goes according to plans. Right now we are in the early stages of development and cannot release anything worthy.

* Will it show a month long view with mon-sun across the top and 4 rows for the weeks ?

The month view should resemble Outlook's month view. I have attached a screenshot (still a mockup).

* Will you be able to redirect the user to a different page when they click an event.

Yes, we will probably expose a "Click" event similar to other controls of our suite.

* Will it show multi-day events in the same way as google calendar ? i.e. a box spanning across all the days.

Yes multiday events should span over multiple days (although not visible in my screenshot).

* Will it be quick loading ?

As always we will try to produce as little output as possible.

*The only thing I forgot to ask was whether it will have iCal export like google calendar. Sorry for all the questions.

We are not sure whether we will implement that feature in the first release but it is in our plans. In fact we are using the iCal format internally for recurrence support.

*Will RadScheduler be able to display views that show multiple appointments(tasks) for multiple people(resources) in a fashion similar to ComponentGo scheduler?

RadScheduler will support resources and the user will be able to customize the look and feel of tasks assigned to different resources. However complex views similar to ComponentGo's scheduler will not be possible in the first version of RadScheduler.

What platform will you support with this new release? .Net 2.0 only? Or will you support 1.x as well?

As part of RadControls "Prometheus" RadScheduler will support .NET 2.0 only. I am sorry to disappoint some of you but RadScheduler is designed with NET 2.0 in mind - it is utilizing generics, declarative datasources, control state.

In a brief we are trying to take the best out of Outlook and google calendar. Here is a list of the features which we will (try to) implement for the beta:

• Inline and advanced editing (advanced form will be similar to google's)Resources (multiple resource types)
    • Recurrence (recurrence will be available from the advanced editing support)
    • Event rescheduling by resizing or drag-and-drop
    • All day and multiple day events
    • Three built-in views - day, weekly and monthly

Atanas Korchev,
    the telerik team
  13. Jason
    Jason avatar
    68 posts

Thank you for all your hard work on this. I posted a request for the calendar a long time ago. It's great to see you guys working on it.

I know you have answered many questions although i have a couple more. 

Will RADScheduler do the following
    • Edit recurrence anywhere in the pattern
    • Edit single or multiple events anywhere in recurrence pattern
    • Multiple calendars
    • Skinning
    • Color coordinated groups
    • Multi month view
    • Year view
    • Details view without a popup
    • Recurrence view
    • Time view
    • Windows app that allows users to connect to DB and sync MS Outlook and web calendar
    • Gantt view
    • Security
      • We have apps that have Companies, offices, groups.
      • attach any type of security to a calendar or event so that a user only sees calandars or events that they have rights to see.

Thanks
    Jason

14. Atanas Korchev
    Admin
    Atanas Korchev avatar
    8462 posts

Hi Jason,

Wow that's a lot of questions :) Let's answer them.

Edit recurrence anywhere in the pattern

Please give us a bit more info about that feature.

Edit single or multiple events anywhere in recurrence pattern

The user would be able to edit the whole series or just the current (clicked) task thus making it an exception from the recurrence series.

Multiple calendars

What do you mean by "multiple calendars" ? Do you mean to have multiple instance of RadScheduler on the same page?

Skinning

RadScheduler will support skinning as the rest of RadControls "Prometheus"

Color coordinated groups

The developer would be able to customize the appearance of tasks if that's what you are asking.

Multi month view

The first version of RadScheduler won't support multi-month view. However we will consider it for future releases.

Year view

The same as multi month view.

Details view without a popup

I am not sure what you mean. Please give us some more details.

Recurrence view

Again :)

Time view

And again :)

Windows app that allows users to connect to DB and sync MS Outlook and web calendar

We won't provide such application out of the box. Maybe we can make a code example.
    Gantt view

No in the first version. I am not sure if we can easily plug it in.

Security

RadScheduler won't come with built-in security mechanisms since every developer has different security requirements and we cannot force him to use ours. That's why it will be the developer who should decide which events are visible and which are not based on the application security implementation.

Based on those questions I think that there is some sort of misunderstanding about  RadScheduler. It won't be a stand-alone Outlook-like web application. It would be a web control which would allow task (appointment) creation with rich API allowing customization.

Regards,
    Atanas Korchev,
    the telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
  15. Dave Navarro
    Dave Navarro avatar
    150 posts

It is very, very disappointing to learn that telerik has decided not to implement yet another feature for ASP 1.x. I pushed so hard to have telerik be our number one choice for ASP components... even to eliminate the Infragistics controls that had been purchased. I was able to convince our management to switch over - exclusively to telerik.

We're now ready to implement some scheduling features and my boss is not happy with me. Infragistics has had ASP 1.x web scheduling out for 18 months or so. I made promises based on information I was getting from you guys. And now that it's coming, you're not going to support ASP 1.x. I have to tell you, honestly, I don't know how I'm going to tell my boss. I'll be lucky if I only get demoted, but I doubt I'll have a job by the end of the day.

I hope this isn't the path your going to take with all of your new features. If it is, I'm sure our company will have to leave you behind, as you like to say.

Wish me luck, I have to go break the news now.

Dave
  16. Jason
    Jason avatar
    68 posts

Edit recurrence anywhere in the pattern

Please give us a bit more info about that feature.
    Sorry about that. What i meant was if i pick a task that is recurring can i change the patturn from there into the future.

Multiple calendars

What do you mean by "multiple calendars" ? Do you mean to have multiple instance of RadScheduler on the same page?
    Say i want a Public Calendar, Sports Calendar, Holiday Calendar, My Personal Calendar and so on. Ability to select different calendars. So the events are attached to a calendar. 

I am not sure what you mean. Please give us some more details.
    Most calendar apps. (Schedulers) show the details to the event or task as a popup when you click on it. Usually the event or task on the calendar is only a title and when you click on it you see more info. What i don;t like is the popup window with more info. 

Recurrence view

Again :)
    The last calendar (Sheduler) app that i created i made it so that a user could click on an event or task and see the details along with a 12 month recurrence.
    >> Go to http://cnyems.org/ and click on "Go to Calendar" link on the right.
    >> Select June 2006 from drop down
    >> Click on Managing Civil Actions on the 21st
    >> Clcik on "View Recurrence" link
    There you will see what i mean.

Time view

And again :)
    My thought here was if i had a calendar called "My Calendar" and i was the only one that saw it i could go in there and look at the time view and see a timeline of the days event for me. 

Security

RadScheduler won't come with built-in security mechanisms since every developer has different security requirements and we cannot force him to use ours. That's why it will be the developer who should decide which events are visible and which are not based on the application security implementation.
    Yeah i didn;t think you would build the security. Only that the creation of events would be easy enough to rap anyone security around. I think you answered this one so that i know i could do so. 

Based on those questions I think that there is some sort of misunderstanding about  RadScheduler. It won't be a stand-alone Outlook-like web application. It would be a web control which would allow task (appointment) creation with rich API allowing customization.
    So will there be an interface that allows us to enter the events/tasks? If i understand you correctly you are only building the UI to display the events and not submit them. I'm not sure if this is what you are saying although having some examples of how events should be entered, saved, updated and deleted in the database as well as a scripted DB model of how the calendar events/tasks are stored would helpful. Especially if you are using iCal.

Thank you very much and i am very sorry about the questions.

Jason

17. Todd Anglin
    Todd Anglin avatar
    2040 posts

Jason-

Let me bridge the time gap a little here and answer some of your new questions:

1. Regarding multiple calendars- I think is a scenario that you'd be expected to implement using RadScheduler by databinding it to different calendar event sources. Whether you can bind multiple datasources to the same Scheduler UI at the same time I don't know, but I expect that won't be a version 1 feature.

2. Regarding detail views- As far as I understand, RadScheduler will have two detail views out of the box- inline (like Outlook calendar) and advanced (with a "window" or panel for viewing/editing details).

3. Regarding the stand alone app clarification- RadScheduler will have elements that enable you to enter and view task information (inline and advanced, I think). The point Atanas is making, though, is that RadScheduler is still supposed a UI server control that you use to build a full featured application instead a full featured scheduling application out of the box. That means it will have a rich API and support for common tasks but will mostly leave the plumbing and advanced scenarios up to the developer (like RadGrid). Does that make sense?
    I think the preview in May will be a good time to check back in and see some real examples of RadScheduler. Even though the control won't officially ship until September, the May preview will definitely answer a lot of your outstanding questions.

If I've missed anything, I'm sure Atanas will provide more details tomorrow.

Thanks~
    Todd
  18. Atanas Korchev
    Admin
    Atanas Korchev avatar
    8462 posts

Posted 26 Apr 2007 Link to this post

Hi,

Up to your questions :)

What i meant was if i pick a task that is recurring can i change the patturn from there into the future.

Yes, RadScheduler will ask you if you want to edit the series or that particular item. If you edit the series you would change the whole recurrence pattern.

Say i want a Public Calendar, Sports Calendar, Holiday Calendar, My Personal Calendar and so on. Ability to select different calendars. So the events are attached to a calendar.

I agree with Todd on this one - in RadScheduler v1 you would need to bind it to different datasources to achieve different calendars.

Our implementation would be similar to google calendar. By default only the title (subject) would be visible. The user can then view the details in a separate form replacing RadScheduler.

Recurrence view

Thanks for the clarification. We don't think we would support that in RadScheduler v1. However it is worth logging for the  future.

Time View

We will probably implement that as an example - filtering tasks by assigned resource (user).

Regarding RadScheduler UI

We have implemented something similar to google calendar. The user clicks inside the view and adds a task there. She can also choose "Advanced edit" to edit the recurrence pattern or assign resources.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Atanas Korchev,
    the telerik team

19. Nathan Heberley
    Nathan Heberley avatar
    13 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 Link to this post

I must agree with some of the other posts here and express my deep disapointment with the decision not to release a .Net 1.1 version.

We use Telerik controls were ever possible, if Telerik already does it we dont bother looking for anything else.

So I must ask, does anyone know of a good scheduler component which also has a skinning capability becuase unfortunitly we have systems based on 1.1 and have no plans on upgrading them at the moment.

Nathan
  20. Dave Navarro
    Dave Navarro avatar
    150 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 Link to this post

Hello Nathan,

Take a look at the WebPlanner control from tms software. Their url is http://www.tmssoftware.com/. Follow the links on the left navigation to ASP.Net, then select Web Planner.

This is an easy to implement solution that we've started using since learning the news that telerik will not be implementing an ASP.Net 1.1 compatible control.

It's also priced well so it's easy on the pocket book. One thing though, is that the ASP.Net 1.1 version is not compatible with the telerik AJAX framework - at least not that I've been able to see but we're not finished testing it. So, your users will have to experience a postback when working with this control.

Please let me know if you find anything else out there that is compatible with the telerik ajax framework.

Thanks, good luck and happy coding!

Dave Navarro
  21. Jakub Wilk
    Jakub Wilk avatar
    32 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 Link to this post

Hello Telerik,
    can you confirm that Scheduler 1st version (Bete or PreRelease) will be able to dowload till month end, that we will be able to test it, and maybe partialy implement withing our products,

Thanks,

Jakub Wilk
  22. Ivo
    Admin
    Ivo avatar
    689 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 Link to this post

Hello Jakub Wilk,

We are still working on fundamental features for the scheduler and we are not yet ready for a stable preview. RadScheduler will be showcased at TechEd in the beginning of June so you should expect a preview on our website around that time (a couple of weeks later than originally planned).

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,
    Ivo
    the Telerik team

23. don
    don avatar
    2 posts

Posted 05 Jun 2007 Link to this post

Scheduler looks great, are their any plans to provide a api to link to ms project to enable scheduled activities and theor attributes to be loaded in/passed to radscheduler, and if required; edited and passed back to ms project.

In my application project managers don't want to double entry into another tool.
  24. MB
    MB avatar
    149 posts

Posted 05 Jun 2007 Link to this post

Is there a preview up yet??
  25. Ivo
    Admin
    Ivo avatar
    689 posts

Posted 07 Jun 2007 Link to this post

Hello Mike,

RadScheduler is being presented at TechEd this week. If you are attending the event please stop by Booth#515 for a presentation on the key features and capabilities. A beta version will be available from our website in the coming couple of weeks -- we are still running final testing before the beta release as well as filling in on the documentation and the live demos.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Greetings,
    Ivo
    the Telerik team

26. Per Holmqvist
    Per Holmqvist avatar
    194 posts

Posted 07 Jun 2007 Link to this post

Helli Ivo.

Two weeks ago you answered us all "will be showcased at TechEd in the beginning of June so you should expect a preview on our website around that time" and now you are saying another weeks still?
    Are you delayed again or what?

Regards Pelle
  27. MB
    MB avatar
    149 posts

Posted 12 Jun 2007 Link to this post

No problem with the beta taking a few more weeks (or whatever) I was just hoping that there might be a preview, even if just some screen-shots from the TechEd demo with some covering blurb, so we can get a better idea of what is coming in the first version.

I have an immediate need for this type of control (I have to implement an event calendaring and scheduling system for a sporting association) and I have the choices of writing my own solution, implementing another vendor's component(s) or waiting for Telerik's solution.

The later would suit me better, as I'm basically lazy at heart and would rather not mix component vendors, but I need to get some idea of what I can expect from this control, so I can start my planning & design now.

Cheers,

-- MB.
  28. Jakub Wilk
    Jakub Wilk avatar
    32 posts

Fully agree with MB, also waiting for preview or even pre beta version, just to check,

please specify some dates,

Best regards,

jakub wilk
  29. Jon Hobbs
    Jon Hobbs avatar
    48 posts

I need the whole thing, preferably working :)

I really don't want to have to use another vendor, just need to know a release date so I can make a decision as I have left the events calendar till last on the project but still need to get it done soon.