This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Not Implemented JavaScript error under IE9 with Q3 2013 SP1

8 Answers 144 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Telerik Admin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Telerik Admin asked on 04 Dec 2013, 12:11 PM
With Q3 2013 SP1(2013.3.1114) you may experience JavaScript errors thrown in Internet Explorer 9. This problem may be observed on a machine that does not have audio services started and no audio drivers installed (e.g., MS Windows 2008 Server with no audio device).

The problem lies within the HtmlAudioElement implementation in Internet Explorer – since the OS is unable to play any sound the canPlayType method of the HtmlAudioElement throws Not Implemented exception that breaks further executions of RadControls’ scripts.

We have already handled this problem and the fix will be available in the upcoming internal builds (since 2013.3.1210) and official release (Q1 2014). In case this issue is a showstopper for your current project and you cannot wait for the next official release and / or cannot use an internal build, you can use the following temporary workaround:

Place the following script in the <head> section of the page:
if(typeof(HTMLAudioElement) !== 'undefined' && HTMLAudioElement.prototype && HTMLAudioElement.prototype.canPlayType) {
    var org = HTMLAudioElement.prototype.canPlayType;
    HTMLAudioElement.prototype.canPlayType = function(typeString) {
        var result = "";
        try{
            result = org(typeString);
        }
        catch(e) { }

return result;
    }
}

8 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Feb 2014, 08:48 PM
Just to confirm, this fix is included in Q3 2013 SP2 - correct?
Dobromir
Telerik team
answered on 04 Feb 2014, 08:14 AM
Hello Mark,

Yes, this issue is fixed in the Q3 2013 SP2.

Regards,
Dobromir
Telerik
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the UI for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to the blog feed now.
Ray
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Feb 2014, 10:38 PM
still broken, see jquery version issue..
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Feb 2014, 02:31 AM
Hi Ray,

To which jquery issue are you referring?
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Mar 2014, 10:14 AM
Please tell me the "fix" for this did not involve just somehow ramming a <script> tag in at the start of the <head> section of the page with that JavaScript kluge in it. Because I've got it appearing there in this site I've inherited and I've no idea where it's coming from.
Dobromir
Telerik team
answered on 21 Mar 2014, 07:59 AM
Hi Mark,

The provided script is just a workaround and not the actual fix. This overwrite of the HTMLAudioElement's proptotype is the only possibility to handle the case outside of the Telerik's core scripts. The actual fix is applied in the code without such overwrites.

Regards,
Dobromir
Telerik

Build cross-platform mobile apps using Visual Studio and .NET. Register for the online webinar on 03/27/2014, 11:00AM US ET.. Seats are limited.

Kombaiah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Sep 2014, 11:50 AM
Hi Admin,

I am just using latest version 2014.1.403.35 for this issue, and experiencing the same problem. whether the fixes included in this version? 
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
answered on 03 Sep 2014, 08:30 AM
Hello Kombaiah,

The latest version is currently 2014.2.724 (Q2 2014 SP1) and I advise that you try that to see if this helps.
Generally, the issue should not manifest in versions later than Q3 2013 SP2 (2013.2.1324) and if you are experiencing it I can think of two possible options:
-the actual version your application uses is older so it does not contain the fix. I advise that you follow this blog post on upgrading it to the latest.
-apply the override (workaround) offered in the initial post.

If neither helps, I advise that you open a support ticket and send us a sample where this issue occurs so we can actually investigate it. The exact browser version and mode, together with details on the deployment environment will also be useful.

Regards,
Marin Bratanov
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Telerik Admin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Answers by
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
Dobromir