This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

No Toolbox or Telerik.Web.UI showing up VS2013

7 Answers 372 Views
Installer and VS Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
George
Top achievements
Rank 2
George asked on 16 Oct 2014, 09:46 PM
I just installed Telerik  Q2 2014 using Visual Studio 2013 on Windows 8.  I also have Visual Studio 2010 installed because of obout failure, I told Telerik instaill to use the 2013.

If I try to create a toolbox for ASP.NET AJAX it is not listed in the choose item list while other Telerik components are listed with several Reporting, OpenAccess and Report Viewer items.  I noticed Kendo also does not show up in the toolbox item list.  My VS 2013 has new menu items JUSTCODE, JUSTMOCK, JUSTRACE, TEST, ANALYZE, TELERIK DATA ACCESS so the install was successful for some tools.

Running the sample ComboBox client side solution gives the error:
Error 1 Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Web.UI' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\AJAXDocumentation\Projects\ComboBox\CS\ClientSide\ClientSide\Default.aspx 3

Reading other posts, It would seem the Telerik install failed to set a reference for  "Telerik.Web.UI.dll" properly but I do not know what else it missed, at least Kendo. 

I am running Windows 8 with Visual Studio 2013.

Thanks,
George

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Ventsi
Telerik team
answered on 20 Oct 2014, 03:45 PM
Hi George,

Thank you for reaching us.

Could you please double check that the installation of Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX was successful and the TELERIK menu and UI for ASP.NET AJAX submenu (screenshot attached) are present in your Visual Studio 2013?

If this is the case you can use the Toolbox Configurator to populate your toolbox with the Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX controls. Note that the visibility of the controls in the toolbox depends on the type of the opened project and the .NET framework version it targets.

If the installation has failed for some reason - please run it again with logging enabled and send us the installation log in your next response.

In regards to the second issue you have described - could you please confirm that you have downloaded the Step-by-Step Tutorial samples and trying to run the ComboBox ClientSide project?

If this is correct you should first reference the Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX assemblies to the project by following these steps:
  1. Open the sample project in Visual Studio
  2. Click on WEBSITE -> Add reference (screenshot attached)
  3. Click the Browse button (screenshot attached)
  4. Navigate to the folder where you have unzipped all the samples and open the References folder
  5. Mark all the dlls in the folder and click Add (screenshot attached)
  6. Run the project again

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Regards,
Author nickname
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

George
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 21 Oct 2014, 09:59 PM
Obviously, Telerik has put a great deal of effort into the AJAX tutorial with giant PDF and lots of sample projects.  It is surprising there is not some web page that says how to use it and upgrade to Visual Studio 2013.  I really want to use it each time I try a new control - tutorial with examples I can copy!

A step was missed, first copy the dll's from C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\UI for ASP.NET AJAX Q2 2014\Bin45 to the References folder overwriting the dll's there.  Visual Studio 2013 on Windows 8.1 probably has 4.5.1 but you should check, mine just has it.

I do not think the Add reference is needed once the right references are replaced in the References folder.

I received the message "Message: This program has a compatibility issue. Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and 2008R2." few times when a database is used.  Not sure what this is about since I have SQL Server 2008 and the project references 2008 express.

Occasionally, opening a project requires upgrading to VS2013 - for this you need to take Read Only off all the files in the tutorial. 

The projects are getting further but all the ones I have tried fail on a few different problems which do not know how the handle.

Project \Projects\ActiveSkill Getting Started\CS\001\ActiveSkill
Brings up a directory listing of the web root instead of a page.

Projects\ComboBox\CS\ClientEvents - there are databases in Projects\App_Data, not sure what to do.
Message: This program has a compatibility issue. Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and 2008R2.

Projects\ComboBox\CS\ClientLoadOnDemand has compile errors
Error 1 Assembly 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2014.2.724.45, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4' uses 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' which has a higher version than referenced assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
Warning 2 Reference to type 'System.Web.UI.ClientIDMode' claims it is defined in

Projects\ComboBox\CS\ClientSide give this error on the web page, compiles fine
Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Web.Device.Detection' or one of its dependencies. This assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently loaded runtime and cannot be loaded. 'c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Web.dll', but it could not be found

Projects\ComboBox\CS\CustomAttributes works, yay.  I only needed to a Telerik/UI for ASP.NET AJAX/Convert to Telerik Website

Projects\ComboBox\CS\GettingStarted, database?
Message: This program has a compatibility issue. Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and 2008R2.

Ventsi
Telerik team
answered on 22 Oct 2014, 10:50 AM
Hi George,

We have checked that your machine has .NET 4.5.1, but you should note several things:
  • The samples are built using the dlls in the References folder
  • The samples are implemented in Website projects that target .NET 3.5
  • The Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX dlls in the References folder are from the Q3 2011 release
  • The Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX dlls in the References folder are built for .NET 3.5

If you want to use the latest controls from Q2 2014 you should take into consideration the following:

• Are there any breaking changes between the Q3 2011 and Q2 2014 versions
  • As the samples are implemented in .NET 3.5 projects you should update the existing references with the .NET 3.5 ones from Q2 2014 or you should upgrade the projects to the .NET version of the dlls
  • Using dlls different than the ones the samples are created with may lead to unexpected issues or behavior

Regarding the "Add reference" procedure - it is necessary to be done as this is the workflow for using external dlls code and functionality in Website projects. As this kind of projects does not have a proj file that contain information about their references, they are configured to copy each referenced dll to their Bin folder and to create [dll-name].refresh file which simply contains the relative path to the assembly. Using the files in this Bin folder is the mechanism for referencing external libraries in Website projects.

In reference to the projects issues you have described:

• Some of the samples are created using VS 2008 and they do need to be upgraded when opened with VS 2013. The rest of the projects are created using VS 2010 and there should be no issues when opened with VS 2013
  • The error in the ComboBox\CS\ClientLoadOnDemand is caused because of the fact that you have referenced the .NET 4.5 Telerik AJAX controls and the project and the other references still target .NET 3.5. As I have already mentioned you should use the Telerik AJAX controls for .NET 3.5 or upgrade the project.
  • Projects\ComboBox\CS\ClientSide originally does not use the Telerik.Web.Device.Detection assembly. Please make a clean copy of the project, reference the required dlls and try to run it again.
  • ComboBox\CS\CustomAttributes worked because of the "Convert to Telerik Website" action you have taken. What this action does in general is to detect the .NET version of the project and reference the Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX dlls that target the same .NET version.  The result of the steps we have provided in the previous response is basically the same.

About the database errors - I suppose that this message is caused because of the current state of your system. SQL Server 2008 requires Service Pack 3 on Windows 8/8.1 machines.

Please confirm that you have SQL Server 2008 SP3 installed and if you don't - install it and check if the message is shown again. 

Regards,
Author nickname
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

George
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 23 Oct 2014, 08:54 PM
Many of the projects are now working.  Copying the DLLs from C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\UI for ASP.NET AJAX Q2 2014\Bin35 to References seems to be working well.

Now, when I open a project sometimes it will ask for the upgrade.  I then do a Telerick / UI for ASP.NET AJAX / Convert to Telerik.  I can then runs it (HONEST!!!!!), I really do not need to do  the Website References thing.

So far I have found a few problems.

1. Convert to Telerik sometimes says "WebSite project not supported" such as in Projects\ActiveSkill Getting Started\CS\002\ActiveSkill. When this happens running the project gives list of project folders instead of a proper webpage.

2. The chart projects do not show a Web Site menu item at all and gives a configuration error on the chart.  I wonder how adding an assembly works for the version and Public Key Token values.

Configuration ErrorDescription: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. 

Parser
Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Charting, Version=2.0.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d14f3dcc8e3e8763' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error: Line
36: <add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
Line
37: <add assembly="System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089" />
Line 38: <add assembly="Telerik.Charting, Version=2.0.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=D14F3DCC8E3E8763" />
Line 39: <add assembly="System.Design, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" />
Line 40: <add assembly="System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089" />

3. For database projects, I downloaded the server pack 3 as suggested. Hopefully moving forward, I now get an authentication error on my user (computer is Cosmo).
Login failed for user 'Cosmo\George'.Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 
Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'Cosmo\George'.

Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
Stack Trace: 
[SqlException (0x80131904): Login failed for user 'Cosmo\George'.]
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +4890587

I attempted to upgrade the mdf files but the upgrade said it could not understand the source file.

The SQLServer updater will only go forward on installations, I might have some SQL Server 2010 now, it show up here and there.

Please understand that my installation is the bleeding edge with the latest Microsoft operating system (Windows 8.1 64 Pro), Visual Studio 2013 and SQL Server 2008/2010 which is where many of your new users will be starting.

Accepted
Danail Vasilev
Telerik team
answered on 24 Oct 2014, 12:57 PM
Hi George,

As I have already mentioned the "Convert to Telerik Project" basically does the same as manually referencing the Telerik assemblies to the project using the "Add reference" steps from the first response.

The "Add reference" steps were suggested as it was not clear at that time if the installation of Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX and its extensions was successful. Now that you have the extensions in VS 2013 you can use the "Conver to Telerik Project" action instead of manually adding the references using the "WEBSITE" menu.

In regard to the "WebSite projects not supported" message - could you please confirm that it is the message from the website-not-supported screenshot attached?

If this is correct - this message refers to the "Add referenced assemblies to solution" option, which applies only to Web Application projects. When this option is checked a "lib" folder is created in the solution directory and it contains all the referenced Telerik assemblies. However, you should not be worried as this does not affect the functioning of the project.

The issue with the RadChart's project is described in this forum thread, where you can also find a solution for it.

Regarding the SQL Server - it seems that your user does not have sufficient access permissions. You can review the issues with your System Administrator.

In addition, we realize that your system is up to date but please note that the configuration of the software is also very important for the smooth workflow, which is the case with your SQL server installation. 

Regards,
Danail Vasilev
Telerik

George
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 24 Oct 2014, 04:31 PM
Yes the screenshot is what I saw. It happens when a webpage does not come up, only a file system listing, which is consistent with the explanation that a lib is produced so it is probably working fine, I just don't get the point.

I guess it does not matter if charting has changed.  Hopefully a updated Tutorial is in the works.

I am curious what is the purpose function or purpose of an example producing a lib, that does not have web page? 

I got the ASP.NET AJAX Demo using the Telerik Control Panel.  It failed to compile because of the database permission problems. I have another database in my application that works fine with windows authentication.  When I moved to Visual Studio 2013 from 2010 it upgraded to the mdf and just worked.

Thanks for all the help, I think getting access to the sample databases is my only issue now for the Tutorial and Demo.  I try to figure it out. I find it annoying I don't seem to able to find a SQL Server Express control application, only Visual Studio.
Ventsi
Telerik team
answered on 29 Oct 2014, 11:42 AM
Hi George,

The purpose of the "ActiveSkill: Getting Started" project is as follows:
   - Build the initial framework for a demonstration application that uses many of the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX in concert.
   - Setup the project structure.
   - Learn how to setup and use ASP.NET Membership.
   - Use RadFormDecorator and RadInput controls in an application.
More details about the project are available in the "ActiveSkill: Getting Started" section of the step-by-step-tutorial.pdf file.

Note also that the courseware was last updated on 3/28/2009 so it contains outdated information. Most of the information from the courseware has already been transferred to our online documentation which is up-to-dated and we recommend to go through it. In addition you can also check our live demos where you can see Telerik UI controls in action.

I am glad to hear we have managed to help you. The thread will be considered as closed now.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if further questions arise.

Regards,
Ventsi
Telerik

Tags
Installer and VS Extensions
Asked by
George
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Ventsi
Telerik team
George
Top achievements
Rank 2