This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Horizontal Orientation

7 Answers 1161 Views
Form
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Marc Simkin
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Veteran
Iron
Marc Simkin asked on 24 Feb 2021, 07:56 PM

Hi:

With the new Form component, when the orientation is set to horizontal, is that only for the FormItems?

I would like to arrange my form so that FormItems and FormButtons are all laid out horizontally.  The attached screen shot is what I am looking to achieve.

Thanks

-marc

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Marc Simkin
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Veteran
Iron
answered on 24 Feb 2021, 08:09 PM

The attached image is what I am currently getting when I use a horizontal orientation.

Here is the markup:

<TelerikForm EditContext="_editContext" Orientation="FormOrientation.Horizontal" OnValidSubmit="OnValidSubmit" Width="50%">
    <FormValidation>
        <FluentValidationValidator DisableAssemblyScanning="@true" />
    </FormValidation>
    <FormItems>
        <FormItem Field="@nameof(ViewModel.Ean)" LabelText="EAN"/>
    </FormItems>
    <FormButtons>
        <TelerikButton ButtonType="ButtonType.Submit" Primary="true">@SubmitButtonText</TelerikButton>
    </FormButtons>
</TelerikForm>

I would also like to shift everything to the left to not leave so much white space.  I looked for where the left padding/margin is being set for either the form or the form item.  I didn't find it.

Thanks

-marc

Marc Simkin
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Veteran
Iron
answered on 25 Feb 2021, 02:47 PM
I am looking to have the layout similar to the Bootstrap .form-inline. 
Svetoslav Dimitrov
Telerik team
answered on 25 Feb 2021, 03:21 PM

Hello Marc,

You can achieve a similar layout by using the Columns parameter of the TelerikForm and pass a value that is equal to the number of properties you have in the model. To make it more automated I have added an example where this is done in a method. If you would like to reduce or increase the space between the columns you can use the ColumnSpacing parameter as shown in the example below. To place buttons next to the fields you can use the Template exposed for the FormItem. When you are creating an inline form I would suggest you use the Vertical Orientation of the Form. The Orientation parameter controls the positioning of the labels relative to the FormItems. If you are using the Vertical orientation you will save some additional horizontal space. Something else I did in the example is to add an empty <FormButtons> tag. It will inform the Form component that it should not render a Submit button by default and you can place it elsewhere.

Code snippet:

<TelerikForm Model="@person"
             Columns="@GetColumnsCount()" 
             ColumnSpacing="10px" 
             Orientation="@FormOrientation.Vertical">
    <FormItems>
        <FormItem Field="@nameof(Person.Id)" LabelText="Id"></FormItem>
        <FormItem Field="@nameof(Person.FirstName)" LabelText="First name"></FormItem>
        <FormItem Field="@nameof(Person.LastName)" LabelText="Last name"></FormItem>
        <FormItem Field="@nameof(Person.DOB)" LabelText="Date of Birth"></FormItem>
        <FormItem Field="@nameof(Person.CompanyName)" LabelText="Company name"></FormItem>
        <FormItem Field="@nameof(Person.HireDate)" LabelText="Hire date"></FormItem>
        <FormItem>
            <Template>
                <TelerikButton OnClick="@CustomButtonMethod">Custom Button in the Form</TelerikButton>
            </Template>
        </FormItem>
    </FormItems>
    <FormButtons></FormButtons>
</TelerikForm>

@code {
    private int GetColumnsCount()
    {
        Type t = typeof(Person);
        int propertiesCount = t.GetProperties().Count();

return propertiesCount;
    }

private void CustomButtonMethod()
    {
        //some logic
    }

public Person person = new Person();

public class Person
    {
        public int Id { get; set; }
        public string FirstName { get; set; }
        public string LastName { get; set; }
        public DateTime DOB { get; set; } = DateTime.Today.AddYears(-20);
        public string CompanyName { get; set; }
        public DateTime HireDate { get; set; }
    }
}

I hope this helps you move forward with your application. Let me know if I can be of further assistance!

Regards,
Svetoslav Dimitrov
Progress Telerik

Virtual Classroom, the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products quickly just got a fresh new look + new and improved content including a brand new Blazor course! Check it out at https://learn.telerik.com/.

Marc Simkin
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Veteran
Iron
answered on 01 Mar 2021, 06:40 PM

Hi Svetoslav:

My apologues for the delayed response. The example provided was almost what I wanted, except that I only have one field and the button in the form. Setting the properties count dynamically is just overkill.

I provided example, gave me enough information that I was able to get something working the way I needed. I needed to leave the form in "Horizontal" orientation, otherwise the top of the input field and button are not aligned.  Now I have the label, input field and button all aligned horizontally nicely.

I know that the label has a style that included k-label and k-form-label.  I am trying to figure out what style needs to be overridden in order to get everything inside the form to be flush to the left side area being rendered.

Thank you.

-marc

Accepted
Svetoslav Dimitrov
Telerik team
answered on 02 Mar 2021, 02:55 PM

Hello Marc,

You can take advantage of the Class parameter exposed for the TelerikForm. It adds a custom CSS class to the topmost HTML element and you can use it to make the cascading of CSS rules easier. You are correct that our labels have both k-label and k-form-label classes. By using a suitable CSS selector you can reset the width CSS rule. Below, I have made an example. The form is wrapped in a div with a border to better showcase the effect of the CSS:

<style>
    .custom-css-class .k-label.k-form-label {
        width: auto;
    }
</style>

<div style="border: solid 0.5px black">
        <TelerikForm Model="@person"
                     Columns="@GetColumnsCount()"
                     ColumnSpacing="10px"
                     Orientation="@FormOrientation.Horizontal"
                     Class="custom-css-class">
            <FormItems>
                <FormItem Field="@nameof(Person.Id)" LabelText="Id"></FormItem>
                <FormItem Field="@nameof(Person.FirstName)" LabelText="First name"></FormItem>
                <FormItem>
                    <Template>
                        <TelerikButton OnClick="@CustomButtonMethod">Custom Button in the Form</TelerikButton>
                    </Template>
                </FormItem>
            </FormItems>
            <FormButtons></FormButtons>
        </TelerikForm>
    </div>

@code {
        private int GetColumnsCount()
        {
            Type t = typeof(Person);
            int propertiesCount = t.GetProperties().Count();

return propertiesCount;
        }

private void CustomButtonMethod()
        {
            //some logic
        }

public Person person = new Person();

public class Person
        {
            public int Id { get; set; }
            public string FirstName { get; set; }
            public string LastName { get; set; }
            public DateTime DOB { get; set; } = DateTime.Today.AddYears(-20);
            public string CompanyName { get; set; }
            public DateTime HireDate { get; set; }
        }
    }

I hope I understood your question correctly. If I missed something let me know.

Regards,
Svetoslav Dimitrov
Progress Telerik

Virtual Classroom, the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products quickly just got a fresh new look + new and improved content including a brand new Blazor course! Check it out at https://learn.telerik.com/.

Marc Simkin
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Veteran
Iron
answered on 04 Mar 2021, 06:10 PM
Hi Svetoslav. Thanks. All working now.
Nadezhda Tacheva
Telerik team
answered on 22 Oct 2021, 04:05 PM

Hello Marc,

I'm stepping in to provide an update that we now have a feature request for customizing the position of the Form Buttons. You can find it in our public feedback portal here - Allow customization of the Form Buttons position.

It looks like the most demanded scenario is placing the buttons on top of the form. However, we will also consider allowing left/right position to cover horizontal oriented Form cases. I noticed that you have also asked for various justification options (left, center, right, vertical) in another thread (Id: 1516455), so we will take that into consideration as well.

I have added a vote on your behalf to increase popularity of the request as we are prioritizing the feature requests implementation based on the community interest and demand. You may also subscribe to receive email notifications when its status changes. This is the best way to keep in track with the progress of the feature as once we know which release will contain its implementation, we will update its status in the feedback portal and you will be notified via email accordingly.

Regards,
Nadezhda Tacheva
Progress Telerik

Remote troubleshooting is now easier with Telerik Fiddler Jam. Get the full context to end-users' issues in just three steps! Start your trial here - https://www.telerik.com/fiddler-jam.
Tags
Form
Asked by
Marc Simkin
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Veteran
Iron
Answers by
Marc Simkin
Top achievements