This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Courseware projects not working in Visual Studio 2013

3 Answers 55 Views
Documentation and Tutorials
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
George
Top achievements
Rank 2
George asked on 20 Oct 2014, 09:45 PM
I have installed ASP.NET AJAX with Visual Studio 2013 on Windows 8.1 Pro 64.  I did have DevCraft, but I removed it all and only have ASP.NET AJAX now.

On my own already existing project, I added the Bin4.5/Telerik.Web.UI for the Toolbox and the Telerik toolbox items show up and can be used.

I also ran Telerik.Web.UI.VSPackage.vsix from C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\UI for ASP.NET AJAX Q2 2014\VSExtensions hoping it would help. That caused the About under Help to include Telerik to be shown in Installed products which it was not before which seems good.

If I open one the RadControlsAJAXCourseware project .sln files the Telerik toolbox items are disabled. If I try to run on Google I get compile errors and warnings saying Visual Studio does not know about the Telerik tools:

Error 1 The type or namespace name 'Telerik' could not be found in the global namespace (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\AJAXDocumentation\Projects\Chart\CS\GettingStarted1\GettingStarted1\Default.aspx.designer.cs 50 27 GettingStarted1
Warning 2 Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Telerik.Charting, Version=2.0.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d14f3dcc8e3e8763, processorArchitecture=MSIL". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. GettingStarted1
Warning 3 Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Telerik.Web.UI". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. GettingStarted1

I have looked through the Visual Studio looking for some why to add a Telerik reference.  The Web.config file does not contain any Telerik references.

What do I need to do so the Courseware projects can be used on Visual Studio 2013?

Thanks,
George

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Danail Vasilev
Telerik team
answered on 24 Oct 2014, 07:25 AM
Hi George,

Generally the "Step-by-Step Tutorial" examples were created with an older version of Telerik UI controls where the RadChart control resieds inside a separate .DLL file. In the newer versions of the controls, however, RadChart is embedded inside Telerik.Web.UI.dll file.

In order to run RadChart examples you must do the following modifications:
   1) Replace the following directive in the corresponding .aspx file:
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Charting" Namespace="Telerik.Charting" TagPrefix="telerik" %>
with this one
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Namespace="Telerik.Charting" TagPrefix="telerik" %>

2) Remove the following tag from system.web -> compilation -> assemblies collection in web.config file:
<add assembly="Telerik.Charting, Version=2.0.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=D14F3DCC8E3E8763"/>
    3) Replace the following httpHandler in web.config file:
<add path="ChartImage.axd" verb="*" type="Telerik.Web.UI.ChartHttpHandler, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2008.2.826.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4" validate="false"/>
with this one:
<add path="ChartImage.axd" verb="*" type="Telerik.Web.UI.ChartHttpHandler"  validate="false" />

4) In order to run a particular example you must copy and reference the Telerik UI .dll file to the BIN folder of the corresponding VS project. For samples that use database files you must also copy the corresponding database file from the main App_Data folder to the local App_Data folder of the project.

Note also that RadChart control is obsolete as of Q1 2014 and we strongly recommend that you use the newer RadHtmlChart control which renders entirely on the client. More information on the matter is available in this blog post.

If you need to get acquainted with our products and find runnable examples I can suggest that you examine our online demos and documentations because they are up-to-date.

I have also updated your Telerik points for helping us improve the quality of our online resources.

Regards,
Danail Vasilev
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

George
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 24 Oct 2014, 04:15 PM
That all worked getting me to my database problems.

I did need to one additional change that is inline with the instructions given.

Remove the following from the .aspx file along with changing the other register command.
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Charting, Version=2.0.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d14f3dcc8e3e8763"
  Namespace="Telerik.Charting" TagPrefix="telerik" %>
George
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 24 Oct 2014, 04:35 PM
Please see forum post for getting the tutorial course ware working in Visual Studio 2013 including the above solution.
Tags
Documentation and Tutorials
Asked by
George
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Danail Vasilev
Telerik team
George
Top achievements
Rank 2