This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Changed Graphics on Simple Skin in 2010 Q1

3 Answers 24 Views
Grid
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Joel Kraft
Top achievements
Rank 2
Joel Kraft asked on 18 Mar 2010, 08:40 PM
Why was the radGrid simple skin graphics changed in Q1 2010?

The icons for "Add New Record" and "Refresh" along with items in the grid like Edit, Delete, Accept and cancel are now horrible colorless black icons.  I understand that this is the simple skin and we want the graphics to be simple, but that does not mean black! The old icons were very standard icons that people are accustomed to see.  They are now very difficult to see on a page.

This did not happen with other controls. RadEditor and RadFileExplorer still have the 2009 icons.

I do like the new square icons for confirm and cancel when editing a grid item, though.  I would just prefer some red and green in there as well.

Joel

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Dimo
Telerik team
answered on 23 Mar 2010, 11:39 AM
Hello Joel,

I am sorry to hear that you don't like the new icons. They were designed to better match the skin's overall look and feel. In this case you can use custom icons, e.g.

<telerik:GridEditCommandColumn ButtonType="ImageButton" EditImageUrl="......" />

<telerik:GridClientDeleteColumn ButtonType="ImageButton" ImageUrl="..." />

<CommandItemSettings AddNewRecordImageUrl="..." RefreshImageUrl="..." />

All the best,
Dimo
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Joel Kraft
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 23 Mar 2010, 01:48 PM
Was there customer feedback that the old icons needed to be changed? They were fine icons that fit into the simple theme because they were standard Windows-like icons you'd find anywhere, and were not fancy.  Color is needed to draw your eye.  On a gray grid, these just get lost.

Now there is an inconsistency in the skin between different controls, and my users have already complained about the new icons in our test environment.  It's bad enough that I'm considering not deploying this version soon, because we use the grid so much.  (And having me go through to find all of the references and manually change them is not a nice solution.)

We shouldn't have to worry about a dramatic change in the look of a skin!

Please consider replacing the old icons in a service pack, and restoring the consistency with RadEditor and RadFileExplorer.
Dimo
Telerik team
answered on 23 Mar 2010, 03:23 PM
Hello Joel,

Thank you for your feedback, I have passed it on to our designers.

Greetings,
Dimo
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Tags
Grid
Asked by
Joel Kraft
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Dimo
Telerik team
Joel Kraft
Top achievements
Rank 2