This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Breaking Change for RadTreeList in 2014.1.403.40?

11 Answers 79 Views
TreeList
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Dave
Top achievements
Rank 1
Dave asked on 07 May 2014, 03:09 PM
I upgraded from 2013.3.1324.40 to 2014.1.403.40 and when I perform DataBind() on my RadTreeList it fails with:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.StackOverflowException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

I switch back to the old version and it works fine.

Was there a breaking change for 2014.1.403.40?  

Thanks,

Dave

11 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Princy
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 08 May 2014, 09:17 AM
Hi Dave,

The provided information is not enough to replicate the issue. Please have a look into the sample code snippet which works fine at my end in Telerik Version 2014.1.403.40. Somewhere in your code, any recursive loop or something like that is happening. So that the code will run and run until there is no more stack space available. Because of that this System.StackOverflowexception is happening. Please provide your full code if it doesn't help.

ASPX:

<telerik:RadTreeList runat="server" ID="RadTreeList1" AllowPaging="true" PageSize="3" DataKeyNames="EmployeeID" OnItemCommand="RadTreeList1_ItemCommand" OnPageIndexChanged="RadTreeList1_PageIndexChanged" ParentDataKeyNames="ReportsTo">
</telerik:RadTreeList>

C#:
public DataTable GetDataTable()
{
    String ConnString = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["ConnectionString"].ConnectionString;
    SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection(ConnString);
    SqlDataAdapter adapter = new SqlDataAdapter();
    adapter.SelectCommand = new SqlCommand("SELECT EmployeeID, LastName, FirstName, Title, TitleOfCourtesy, ReportsTo FROM Employees", conn);
    DataTable myDataTable = new DataTable();
    conn.Open();
    try
    {
        adapter.Fill(myDataTable);
    }
    finally
    {
        conn.Close();
    }
    return myDataTable;
}
protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
    if (!IsPostBack)
    {
        RadTreeList1.DataSource = GetDataTable();
        RadTreeList1.DataBind();
    }
}
protected void RadTreeList1_ItemCommand(object sender, TreeListCommandEventArgs e)
{
    if (e.CommandName == RadTreeList.ExpandCollapseCommandName)
    {
        RadTreeList1.DataBind();
    }
}
protected void RadTreeList1_PageIndexChanged(object source, TreeListPageChangedEventArgs e)
{
    RadTreeList1.CurrentPageIndex = e.NewPageIndex;
    RadTreeList1.DataBind();
}

Thanks,
Princy.
jose antonio
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 May 2014, 11:53 AM
Hello All,

Princy is right in the fact that he didnt provide data to replicate this issue, but also wrong, because thats just the same code as in any example and I think its not respectful (as software developers)

Im just having the same problem as Dave and I bet that he has multiple keynames and not just one.

This is my (probably our) scenario:

Table 1:  ID
Table 2: ID_Table1, ID_Table2

In this way i had to fake the Id parent for table one and set it to null in an union select.

This way i had a data set of two tables,looking like this
DataKeys = ID_TABLE1
Parent keys = ID_PARENT

ID_TABLE1     ID_TABLE2    ID_PARENT
1                       NULL            NULL
2                       NULL            NULL
1                       0                   1
1                       1                   1
2                       0                   2

These used to work. But not anymore. I Tried to fix it using two primarykeys for datakey and parentID but it didnt work When IT SHOULD WORK like this:

DataKeyName = IdTable1, IDtable2
ParentKey       = ParentIdtable1, ParentIdtable2

But it doesnt.

If anyone has a working demo for this id be nice.

My software is on production and i want to publish new features with the latest versions of my libraries including telerik's and if this lastest version breaks it, then whats the point?

Thanks,
Dave
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 May 2014, 01:05 PM
Thanks for responding.  However, I cannot simply post my code,  you must understand that I am not doing this for fun, but professionally, and posting my FULL code would be inappropriate and have legal consequences.

Keep in mind also, that it is an extensive application, not a couple of pages, so even if I did provide it, it would be meaningless to you, unless you have the web services, databases, and the rest of the application, and so on to make it function.

I can tell you, that this has been working, without problem, for over a year, having multiple Telerik updates, and that simply swapping the the version I indicated with the latest breaks it, with absolutely nothing else changing, with live production code.

The jest of the code is the following, with names changed:

Databinding used is a list of custom objects, e.g. List<MyClass> myObjects;

RadTreeListABC.DataKeyNames = new string[] { "MyPKID" };
                    RadTreeListABC.ParentDataKeyNames = new string[] { "MyParentID" };
                    RadTreeListABC.DataSource = myObjects;
                    RadTreeListABC.AutoGenerateColumns = false;
                    RadTreeListABC.ShowTreeLines = true;
                    RadTreeListABC.HideExpandCollapseButtonIfNoChildren = false;
                    RadTreeListABC.DataBind();

Not sure if this helps or not.

P.S. the formatting on posting in the forum is terrible.  You get to a point where it doesn't have any more lines and you can't see what you are typing, hitting enter a bunch of times eventually puts you at the bottom.  Chrome 34.0.1847.131 m Windows 7.

Thanks,
Dave

Kostadin
Telerik team
answered on 12 May 2014, 11:46 AM
Hi Jose,

I tried the scenario which you described and with the latest version the server crashed. In this scenario you have a relation where the child and the parent item have an identical ID. In this case the logic which display the items gets in an infinite loop and System.StackOverflowException occurs or the server crashed. Keep in mind that this is an invalid scenario and the DataKeyNames filed should be a filed with unique ids. Nevertheless I logged this issue as a bug in our system and our developers will look at it and fixed it in our next official release. You could track the progress in our Ideas&Feedback portal.

Hi Dave,

I assume that your DataKeyName filed have also repeated ids and this is causing the exception.

Regards,
Kostadin
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Dave
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 May 2014, 01:19 PM
I do not have any records where the ParentKey = the Child key....I didn't provide data so I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

I do have cases where the ParentId is NULL, meaning it has no parent / is the top level, but I've confirmed that there are no records where ParentId = MainId

As I mentioned, this has been working for over a year--some implementation has changed with this release.

As it stands, it looks like I will not be able to use updates for this product until it is fixed.  The issue is different than what you have concluded, so I think some additional investigation will be needed.

Thanks,

Dave
Kostadin
Telerik team
answered on 15 May 2014, 08:25 AM
Hello Dave,

I was able to replicate the issue which you are talking about when you have the repeating IDs in a field set as a DataKeyName. For instance, if your data field has a values - 1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,6,7. and you set this field as a DataKeyName, you will receive a System.StackOverflowException' due to an infinite loop. If you does not  have such repeating values in your data field, could you please provide a small runnable sample with a dummy database in order to investigate the cause for this issue?

Regards,
Kostadin
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Dave
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 May 2014, 06:10 PM
I started to put together an example application and as part of that I was stepping through my code looking at the parent and key values.

To my surprise the values are not what I expected.  E.g.

Parent     Child
NULL        1
1                2
1                2
1                2
1                2

This is not what it should be--it isn't causing an issues because I'm only using the child keys for the Tree itself, but it should be a fabricated ID that is being kept track of.

So, based on what you are describing, it sounds like this is not supported as of this version.  I will update my application in my  next release to use proper keys.   It definitely broke with the latest release, although my instance was not intentional, so not a big complain from me.

Thanks for checking into this.

Dave 
Kostadin
Telerik team
answered on 20 May 2014, 11:23 AM
Hi Dave,

The issue is already fixed and it will be available in our next official release. Please excuse us for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

Regards,
Kostadin
Telerik

Ludek
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Jun 2014, 01:45 PM
Hi,
when do you plan to release the new official version? Can you prepare the change for us in Latest internal build?

Thanks
Ludek
Kostadin
Telerik team
answered on 05 Jun 2014, 07:25 AM
Hello Ludek,

The fix is already included in the latest internal build, so you could downloaded and test it. As for the official release it is scheduled for end of the month.

Regards,
Kostadin
Telerik

Maxime
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Mar 2019, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the answer, it will help me on the futur.
Tags
TreeList
Asked by
Dave
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Princy
Top achievements
Rank 2
jose antonio
Top achievements