All styling broken after upgrade to 2023.1.314

2 Answers 920 Views
General Discussions Installer and VS Extensions Styling
Kevin F
Top achievements
Rank 1
Kevin F asked on 22 Mar 2023, 03:14 AM

All the styling is broken, using bootstrap.  I noticed a massive change in the files in Content/kendo/2023.1.314 (i.e. none of the previous files I had linked to actually exist anymore).  I upgraded from 2023.1.117.  Do I use bootstrap-4.css or bootstrap-main.css or what?

I ran the upgrade wizard and there was nothing about such massive changes. 

Where's the documentation on these changes?  Happy to read up but I couldn't find anything?

This is disgraceful for a minor upgrade to break/change everything so drastically.

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Anton Mironov
Telerik team
answered on 24 Mar 2023, 06:36 AM

Hi Kevin and John,

Thank you for the details provided.

The following articles are giving the needed information about the themes changes and why every decision had been made.

Improvements Coming to Telerik and Kendo UI Themes in 2022:

Future Plans for the Telerik and Kendo UI LESS Themes:

As mentioned in the Release History for Telerik UI for ASP.NET MVC, the LESS themes had been dropped in the last version:

Here are all the changes in the last Release:

The following article provides further information about the Components' Rendering:

In order to migrate your application from LESS to SASS themes, use the following:

I hope this information helps.

Kind Regards,
Anton Mironov
Progress Telerik

Virtual Classroom, the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products quickly just got a fresh new look + new and improved content including a brand new Blazor course! Check it out at https://learn.telerik.com/.

John
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
commented on 24 Mar 2023, 03:27 PM

Appreciate the detailed info.  Unfortunately, I fall into the category of heavily modifying the material LESS theme so this release is a going to require a ton of work for me.  However, it looks like the new SASS themes do easily handle a good portion of the customization I have been doing in past years (size, rounded corners, etc.) so it "might" not be that bad.
Anton Mironov
Telerik team
commented on 29 Mar 2023, 06:49 AM

Hi John,

Thank you for the kind words. I am glad to hear that the new changes are handling some of the customizations.

If further assistance or information is needed, do not hesitate to contact me and the team.

Best Regards,
Anton Mironov

John
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
answered on 23 Mar 2023, 02:22 PM

Same issue here after upgrading from 2022.3.1109.  For years the CSS theme files were included in the source code but appear to have been removed as of this version.  My guess would be this is part of the move to the CDN. 

ASP.NET Core Using CDN - Telerik UI for ASP.NET Core

I need to include 2 styles, kendo.common-material.min.css and kendo.material.min.css.

As far as I could guess that lead me to this url but it's not a complete solution and my styles are completely broken.  Some upgraded documentation is needed for sure.

https://kendo.cdn.telerik.com/themes/6.2.0/material/material-main.css

Kevin F
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 23 Mar 2023, 02:51 PM

Are they forcing CDN use? I like to avoid that whenever possible.
John
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
commented on 23 Mar 2023, 02:56 PM

Me as well.  I don't think they are forcing it but they are encouraging it.
Kevin F
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 23 Mar 2023, 02:58 PM

I want to know where all the old style sheets went, and where the docs are explaining why the huge difference between the last two releases!
Tags
General Discussions Installer and VS Extensions Styling
Asked by
Kevin F
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Anton Mironov
Telerik team
John
Top achievements
Rank 2