This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Grid - Attachment Column

5 Answers 391 Views
Grid
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Kjell
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Kjell asked on 27 Aug 2013, 07:56 AM
How can I avoid the update of the example "Grid - Attachment Column" that must upload a new file if I want to change for example UploadDate or UploadedBy?

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Princy
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 27 Aug 2013, 11:03 AM
Hi Kjell,

I'm not sure about your requirement,I guess, during the Update of radgrid, you wanted to check if a column text has changed or the attachment column has file uploaded in it,then only save it to database.Please try the below code snippet.If this doesn't help,please elaborate about your requirement.

ASPX:
<telerik:RadGrid ID="RadGrid1" runat="server"AutoGenerateColumns="false"
           AllowSorting="true" AllowPaging="true" OnUpdateCommand="RadGrid1_UpdateCommand">
           <MasterTableView DataKeyNames="ID" >
               <Columns>
                   <telerik:GridEditCommandColumn HeaderStyle-Width="30px">
                   </telerik:GridEditCommandColumn>
                   <telerik:GridBoundColumn DataField="orderid" HeaderText="orderid" ReadOnly="true">
                   </telerik:GridBoundColumn>                  
                   <telerik:GridBoundColumn DataField="shipname" HeaderText="shipname" UniqueName="shipname">
                   </telerik:GridBoundColumn>
                   <telerik:GridAttachmentColumn MaxFileSize="1048576" EditFormHeaderTextFormat="Upload File:"
                       HeaderText="Download" UniqueName="AttachmentColumn" AttachmentDataField="BinaryData">
                   </telerik:GridAttachmentColumn>
               </Columns>
           </MasterTableView>         
       </telerik:RadGrid>

C#:
protected void RadGrid1_UpdateCommand(object sender, Telerik.Web.UI.GridCommandEventArgs e)
   {
       string oldval = string.Empty;
       string newval = string.Empty;      
       if (e.Item is GridEditableItem && e.Item.IsInEditMode)
       {
           GridEditableItem edititem = (GridEditableItem)e.Item;
           Hashtable newValues = new Hashtable();
           e.Item.OwnerTableView.ExtractValuesFromItem(newValues, edititem);
           oldval = edititem.SavedOldValues["shipname"].ToString();
           newval = newValues["shipname"].ToString();
           RadUpload upload = (edititem.EditManager.GetColumnEditor("AttachmentColumn") as GridAttachmentColumnEditor).RadUploadControl;   
           int filecount= upload.UploadedFiles.Count;
           if ((oldval != newval)&&(filecount>0))
           {
               //Your code to update              
           }
           else
           {
              //Give your required alert message           
           }         
       }
   }

Thanks,
Princy
Kjell
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 27 Aug 2013, 11:17 AM
I use the "Grid - Attachment Column" on http://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax/grid/examples/generalfeatures/gridattachmentcolumn/defaultvb.aspx
and SqlDataSource1_Updated

Protected Sub SqlDataSource1_Updated(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As SqlDataSourceStatusEventArgs)

UpdateInsertFileData("UPDATE [FileData] SET [BinaryData] = @BinaryData WHERE [ID] = @ID", fileId)

End Sub

Protected Sub RadGrid1_ItemCommand(ByVal source As Object, ByVal e As GridCommandEventArgs)

If e.CommandName = RadGrid.DownloadAttachmentCommandName Then

Dim args As GridDownloadAttachmentCommandEventArgs = TryCast(e, GridDownloadAttachmentCommandEventArgs)

Dim fileName As String = args.FileName

Dim attachmentId As Integer = DirectCast(args.AttachmentKeyValues("ID"), Integer)

Dim conn As New SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("TelerikConnectionString35").ConnectionString)

Dim comm As New SqlCommand("SELECT [BinaryData] FROM [FileData] WHERE [ID] = @ID", conn)

comm.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@ID", attachmentId))

Dim adapter As New SqlDataAdapter(comm)

Dim data As New DataSet()

adapter.Fill(data)

Dim binaryData As Byte() = DirectCast(data.Tables(0).Rows(0)("BinaryData"), Byte())

Response.Clear()

Response.ContentType = "application/octet-stream"

Response.AddHeader("content-disposition", "attachment; filename=" + fileName)

Response.BinaryWrite(binaryData)

Response.[End]()

End If

End If

If e.CommandName = RadGrid.UpdateCommandName OrElse e.CommandName = RadGrid.PerformInsertCommandName Then

Dim item As GridEditableItem = TryCast(e.Item, GridEditableItem)

If Not (TypeOf item Is GridEditFormInsertItem) Then

fileId = DirectCast(item.GetDataKeyValue("ID"), Integer)

End If

Dim fileName As String = (TryCast(item.EditManager.GetColumnEditor("FileName"), GridTextBoxColumnEditor)).Text

fileData = (TryCast(item.EditManager.GetColumnEditor("AttachmentColumn"), GridAttachmentColumnEditor)).UploadedFileContent

Dim uploadDate As DateTime? = (TryCast(item.EditManager.GetColumnEditor("UploadDate"), GridDateTimeColumnEditor)).PickerControl.SelectedDate

Dim uploadedBy As String = (TryCast(item.EditManager.GetColumnEditor("UploadedBy"), GridTextBoxColumnEditor)).TextBoxControl.Text

If fileData.Length = 0 OrElse fileName.Trim() = String.Empty Then

e.Canceled = True

RadGrid1.Controls.Add(New LiteralControl("<b style='color:red;'>No file uploaded. Action canceled.</b>"))

End If

If Not uploadDate.HasValue Or String.IsNullOrEmpty(uploadedBy.Trim()) Then

e.Canceled = True

RadGrid1.Controls.Add(New LiteralControl("<b style='color:red;'>Please, fill in all the fields.</b>"))

End If

End Sub
Kostadin
Telerik team
answered on 30 Aug 2013, 06:43 AM
Hello Kjell,

I am afraid that I am still not able to completely understand your requirement. The code which you provided will cancel the insert command if some of the the uploaded by or upload date is empty. If that is your requirement you could use the same approach. If it is not than, could you please explain in details what you are trying to achieve in order to give you more to the point answer?

Regards,
Kostadin
Telerik
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to the blog feed now.
Kjell
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 30 Aug 2013, 06:46 AM
Excuse my bad English, the same problem I find in this thread, (http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/aspnet-ajax/grid/gridattachmentcolumn-on-edit.aspx) but have a problem when I convert the code to vb.

Have the same problem and have to convert the code to VB on converter.telerik.com.
But my problem is when I update a field without uploading a new file, I get the message that the file can not be read when I click on the link to open it after the update.
Create new record works, but not to update without having to upload a new file.
Kostadin
Telerik team
answered on 03 Sep 2013, 12:17 PM
Hi Kjell,

One of my colleagues already answered your question in the other forum post, so please continue the conversation there if any further questions arise.

Regards,
Kostadin
Telerik
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to the blog feed now.
Tags
Grid
Asked by
Kjell
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Answers by
Princy
Top achievements
Rank 2
Kjell