This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

New control suggestion

7 Answers 70 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Dave Friedel
Top achievements
Rank 1
Dave Friedel asked on 15 Sep 2010, 10:07 AM
Does anyone know of a textbox that merges the functionality of combobox functionality like we see present in the Facebook wall?  More and more clients are beginning to ask for smart textboxes which no vendor provides yet (unless I am missing it) that allows for portions of the text box to be a hyperlink from a list of entries identified below that can be clicked.  Often it would be nice to have multiple different entries have links in the text box but be light enough to use as a textbox replacement.

When we access the textbox in a post back, it would be great to have a collection to retrieve the entries people located.  To see this, use the @ as you type in the facebook wall.

regards,
Dave

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 15 Sep 2010, 10:20 AM
Hello Dave,

You may consider utilizing RadComboBox for ASP.NET AJAX and its load on demand functionality for this purpose. Note that you can hide the dropdown image of the combobox by setting ShowToggleImage = false and thus it will be in auto-complete textbox mode. Additionally, you can use templates for the combobox items (see the last combo here) to display links, images, etc. and couple that with typing in the input.

I hope this option is applicable for your scenario.

Best regards,
Sebastian
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Dave Friedel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Sep 2010, 10:24 AM
That is only one part of puzzle... since the textbox needs to match multiple items in the same box and link different items.  If you have a Facebook account, try entering a message and type @ then select a user below and type some more than type another @.

Notice how you get multiple references per textbox.

D.
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 15 Sep 2010, 10:31 AM
Hi Dave,

RadComboBox allows to have multiple entries displayed in the input field as well. Take a look at this online demo of the component for further details and let me know if I am missing something from your logic.

Best regards,
Sebastian
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Dave Friedel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Sep 2010, 10:37 AM
I reviewed the online demos but I made a video for you to see what I am trying to do with Telerik controls.

http://screencast.com/t/YjdlMmE4YTYt

D.
Accepted
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 15 Sep 2010, 12:50 PM
Hi Dave,

Now I see what you mean and got the idea - thanks for the video. I will pass your proposal to our developers to be discussed further. If this appears to be commonly requested possible addition to our AJAX offering, you may see it included in a future version of the suite.

Best regards,
Sebastian
the Telerik team
Dean
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Mar 2012, 09:46 PM
I second the request.  I am writing a software ticket system and would like to be able to "mention" other developers in comments that I add to the ticket record.  I would like to type some comment such as this:

I update the code but @John Doe still needs to get with @Jane Smith and make their changes.

While I typed the comment, as soon as I entered the @ sign, I would like an auto-complete list to be display.  Then in the code-behind I would take special action, such as sending an email to the people mentioned in the ticket.  
Iana Tsolova
Telerik team
answered on 24 Mar 2012, 06:42 AM
Hello Dean,

Thank you for raising this question again.
I will forward it to our developers so they consider adding such feature or making new control for it.
You can also submit a Feature Request in our PITS where people can vote for it and thus give it higher priority.

All the best,
Iana Tsolova
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Dave Friedel
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Sebastian
Telerik team
Dave Friedel
Top achievements
Rank 1