This blog post will get you familiar with what has been added to our Xamarin PdfViewer control, and what is coming next in the official R3 2019 release.
Looking for an update on the latest improvements to the PdfViewer for Telerik UI for Xamarin, and a preview of what you can expect in next month's release? This post will get you up to speed with everything you need to know.
What’s New in PdfViewer?
With the second release of the year, the PdfViewer control went from beta to official. During this period, we continue improving the control and added a set of new features to it. Here is a list of features that were shipped with the R2 2019 release and the Service Pack:
- Command improvements, including a new Double-Tapped command
- Mechanism to detect when a document is loaded/unloaded
- Read-on-demand feature
- Automatic Fit-to-width
- Various performance improvements in hardware acceleration and scrolling performance - so now the scrolling is significantly smoother, with no stutter or delay.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the listed features above.
The FitToWidthCommand was improved. Now you can choose between two options:
- FitDocumentToWidthCommand (default one) – The purpose of this command is to lookup the widest of all pages and set a zoom level, so that this page is fit to width. For example: If the document has pages with different width, as a side effect, when you are currently viewing a page that is not the widest, this page will not occupy the whole horizontal space.
- FitPageToWidthCommand – This gives you the ability to execute fit to width on the current page, disregarding the width of the other pages in the PDF document.
This command is different from the other PdfViewer Commands. It is triggered from within the PdfViewer on double-tap action. On the first double-tap the document is zoomed 2.5 times at the tapped location, another double-tap triggers the FitToWidth command.
This feature allows you to load each page of the document when needed to be shown in the PdfViewer. The page will be unloaded once it becomes invisible. Check here for more information on this.
You can take a look at other new PdfViewer features, which I described in my previous blog post: View PDF Documents with PdfViewer for Xamarin.Forms
What’s Coming to PdfViewer in the Official R3 2019 Release?
We have great news for you. In the middle of September our PdfViewer will include two new features: Selection and Link Annotations. We look forward to sharing more with you after the R3 2019 release. Hope you are as excited as we are!
Tell Us What You Think
We would love to hear what you think about the Telerik UI for Xamarin Pdf Viewer Control. If you have any ideas for features to add, please do not hesitate to share this information with us on our Telerik UI for Xamarin Feedback portal.
Don’t forget to check out the various demos of the controls in our SDK Sample Browser and the Telerik UI for Xamarin Demos application.
If you have not yet tried the Telerik UI for Xamarin suite, take it out for a spin with a 30-day free trial, offering all the functionalities and controls at your disposal at zero cost.
Try Telerik UI for Xamarin
Happy coding with our controls!