Wierd update issue

4 posts, 1 answers
  1. Jeanne
    Jeanne avatar
    58 posts
    Member since:
    Sep 2011

    Posted 20 Oct 2012 Link to this post

    Using the new telerik control panel I updated by radControls for ASP.NET Ajax from 2012.1.215.40 to 2012.3.1016.4. This is now the only version that is installed. Then when I opened my project in Visual Studio 2010 I got the green update box indicating that the version had changed, and I clicked the update button. There were no errors shown in the update log. However I get strange errors when I open my master page and put it into design view (see attached image). I tried removing and re-adding the references to Telerik.Web.UI.dll and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins.dll, closing and restarting Visual Studio. I verified using right-click Properties that the dll files where the correct version (2012.3.1016.4). After I open the masterpage.master file and successfully build the project, the Telerik.Web.UI.dll file in my /Bin folder has reverted back to the 2012.1.215.40 version! That version isn't even installed on my computer any more, and it is not one of the project references, so where is it coming from??? And why is it overwriting the newer version???
  2. Jeanne
    Jeanne avatar
    58 posts
    Member since:
    Sep 2011

    Posted 20 Oct 2012 Link to this post

    I've somehow solved the problem by just trying everything I could think of. Here are some of the things I did, not necessarily in order, and some of them I tried multiple times.

    Run the telerik upgrade wizard (repeatedly).
    Remove the references to telerik dlls and re-add them (repeatedly).
    Rebuild a dll used by this project that used the previous version of telerik controls too (after running the upgrade wizard on the project repeatedly, rebuilding repeatedly, removing and re-adding references, etc.)
    Adding the telerik dlls to the GAC.
    Removing the references to the telerik dlls and making sure they were referencing the versions in the GAC.
    Restart Visual Studio over and over and over again.
    Rebuild the project over and over and over again.

    I'm not sure which of these things in which order fixed the problem, but the project loads, displays and builds successfully now.

    I'd still like to know what caused the problem in the first place. This was just on my laptop. I'm deathly afraid to try upgrading my work desktop and risk messing up the whole project again!
  3. Answer
    Vesko
    Admin
    Vesko avatar
    170 posts

    Posted 24 Oct 2012 Link to this post

    Hello Jeanne,

    I am sorry to hear that you have problems upgrading you project.

    You should not need to add any telerik assemblies in the GAC but the Telerik.Web.Design.dll. Resolving Telerik.Web.UI and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins references to the GAC can cause problems when deploying your project into production. So I recommend you uninstalling Telerik.Web.UI.dll and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins.dll from the GAC. Our installer deploy only Telerik.Web.Design.dll in the GAC in order to be accessible for all the projects in your machine for design-time work.
    A possible reason for version inconsistencies in your project would be not upgrading all of the telerik projects in your solution. It is strongly recommended to upgrade all projects that have dependencies between them. Another reason could be having Telerik.Web.UI.dll and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins (v.2012.1.215.40 in you case) in the GAC.

    Let me know if you think the reasons for the issue are different from the ones I mentioned.

    Please do not hesitate to contact us if you experience any further issues.

    Regards,
    Vesko
    the Telerik team
    If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
  4. Jeanne
    Jeanne avatar
    58 posts
    Member since:
    Sep 2011

    Posted 24 Oct 2012 Link to this post

    You're correct about installing those dlls in the GAC. It was a move of desperation, and I plan to undo it. I had to copy the dlls into my /Bin folder anyway because the style sheet manager couldn't find them in the GAC. I didn't install those dlls in the GAC on my work computer and the update worked fine.

    I believe you are correct that the issue was another project that had not been updated. The project I had problems with contained references to another project using the older version of the dlls. Once I updated that project, the project using it updated correctly as well, and the old version of the dlls stopped appearing. Lesson learned.

    When I updated my work computer I updated the sub-project first and encountered no problems at all.

    Thanks for you help.
Back to Top