This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

WebUI load test in VS2010

17 Answers 308 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
David Cullen
Top achievements
Rank 1
David Cullen asked on 06 May 2010, 10:07 AM
Hi, i've successfully created tests in webui studio that i have exported to vs2010, and can see the test in the solution, however trying to create a load test, in vs, it does not see the .aii file as a suitable test to run.  Therefore i can create the load test framework, but cannot add any webui tests into it, is this possible or not?

Kind Regards

David

17 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 06 May 2010, 07:16 PM
Hi David Cullen,

Correct, that is the expected behavior actually. Visual Studio Load tests can only use "WebTests" as their source. We have a button in your .aii document window that is a "Convert to VS WebTest" to enable you to do load testing. We have a video that demonstrates how to use this feature. You can view it here: http://tv.telerik.com/webui+test+studio/video/converting-webaii-test-load-test.

All the best,
Cody
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Soumyadyuti
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jul 2010, 09:13 AM
Hi Support Team,
      I am unable get the following URL open in the browser.
http://tv.telerik.com/error/pagenotfound?aspxerrorpath=/webui+test+studio/video/converting-webaii-test-load-test

Please let me know the steps to start load testing with the script I have generated with with webUI for QA.
Thanks,
Soumyadyuti Paul
Daniel Levy
Telerik team
answered on 15 Jul 2010, 10:11 PM
Hi Soumyadyuti,

We recently reviewed Convert to Visual Studio WebTest feature.

We noticed a pattern that caused us some concern. Many users were attempting to convert their functional tests to stress tests – however the reality is that stress scenarios need to be carefully thought through right from the start as stress scenarios and recorded just for that purpose. Although cross-leverage is possible, most real world functional tests are not good stress tests.

After careful consideration we decided it would be better to remove it from the product as it was promoting bad testing practices. Since the feature has been removed from the product, we thought it was best to also remove the video tutorial, thus the link referenced below will no longer work.

Sincerely yours,
Daniel Levy
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Venkat Krishnamurthy
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Jul 2010, 12:38 PM
Hello Support Team,

Does the above comment means, i cannot convert my functional tests into load test? We are planning to use Web UI to automate our application testing and then use the scripts to conduct performance testing using VSTS. Is it not possible now??

Regards
Venkat K
Daniel Levy
Telerik team
answered on 28 Jul 2010, 07:17 PM
Hi Venkat Krishnamurthy,

For the reasons previously mentioned, WebUI Test Studio no longer includes a feature to convert test into Visual Studio WebTests.

For the time being, you can manually create such tests to use for load testing. We are strong believers in adhering to best testing practices and believe you'll be better off in the long run avoiding the use of functional tests for load testing your application.

Greetings,
Daniel Levy
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Ticket Solutions Account
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Oct 2010, 12:44 PM
Will the Convert to WebTest feature ever be added back in?

I'll admit that the web tests that were generated were massivly buggy, but you could tweak them to work with some trial and error. 

We've been using WebAii since before telerik took it over, for load testing, and if it doesn't get added in will have to find another product.

Is it gone for good? Will we still be able to continue using the older verisons with this functionality if we purchase new keys?

Thanks,

Joel

Daniel Levy
Telerik team
answered on 12 Oct 2010, 03:24 PM
Hello Andrew,

I can confirm that this feature will not be added into WebUI Test Studio's Q3 release. That said, this feature is frequently discussed in internal conversations, so a solution is likely to be put in place at some point beyond our Q3 release.

While you can continue to utilize older versions of WebUI Test Studio if you have already purchased them and have the keys, we of course recommend you upgrade to our latest versions as each release contains new features as well as many fixes that will not be available in older editions.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Daniel Levy
the Telerik team
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Nov 2011, 04:00 PM
I want to include myself in the group of people who think this functionality is critical.  We use a Visual Studio Ultimate test rig to conduct performance/stress/load testing for all of our applications.  Since Test Studio only has the ability to conduct performance tests simulating one user it is not useful for us when it comes to this kind of testing.  We understand that a good portion of our smoke and regression tests probably aren't good candidates to be included in VS load tests, but we'd like the freedom to figure out which ones would be useful on our own and reuse them for our VS-based testing instead of having to write/maintain an entire new test suite in VS.

Adding this capability would be another Test Studio feature that will help to separate your product from the pack and eventually overtake QTP in market share.
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 18 Nov 2011, 08:08 PM
Hi Jeff,

Thank you very much for the feedback! You are included in our growing list of people that want/need this feature. I can confirm it is on our TODO roadmap. Our developers are actively investigating how (and when) we can put together load testing in Test Studio.

All the best,
Cody
the Telerik team
Nitin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Apr 2012, 12:30 PM
Hi Telerik Team,

I had used telerik controls in my application and while creating Webtest in VS2010 Ultimate on workflows including Telerik controls i encountered many errors like $Hidden_ValidationEvent failed or $Hidden_ClientState failed instead of my application executing fine without any bugs .So can you give me reasons why my webtests are getting failed instead of application running successfully .
Please reply soon  
Kate
Telerik team
answered on 03 Apr 2012, 03:07 PM
Hello Nitin,

Can you please clarify what kind of Webtest you create in VS 2010? My suggestion would be that you open a support ticket where you can record and attach a video (you ca use Jing) that demonstrates how you create the project along with the error that you encounter. Can you also attach a simplified runnable project that we can test locally?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Kate
the Telerik team
Quickly become an expert in Test Studio, check out our new training sessions!
Test Studio Trainings
Nitin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Apr 2012, 06:22 AM

Hi Telerik Team,

This is the Web UI Test which i am creating and  after creating the webtest following errors comes up .Is there any Java Script option that i can use to handle these errors .These eroors comes up at particular requests only and because of these errors i am not able to create even a single successfull Web Test as these errors are common in all the webtest i create. I must also tell you that my application is working fine without any reported bugs.

Request failed: Context parameter '$HIDDEN0.__EVENTTARGET' not found in test context
Request failed: Context parameter '$HIDDEN0.RadPanelBar1_i1_JobPlan_ClientState' not found in test context

Request failed: Context parameter '$HIDDEN0.__EVENTVALIDATION' not found in test context

Please see if you are familiar with these errors and reply back soon.

Kate
Telerik team
answered on 05 Apr 2012, 03:28 PM
Hi Nitin,

We have not encountered such issues before therefore my best suggestion would be that you record a video (as mentioned in my previous post) so that we can try to recreate the same issue. Then we can test it locally and come back to you.

Greetings,
Kate
the Telerik team

Consider using RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX (built on top of the ASP.NET AJAX framework) as a replacement for the Telerik ASP.NET Classic controls, See the product support lifecycle here.

Nitin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Apr 2012, 09:40 AM
Hi Telerik Team,

I can not  share the code or video .Can you guys  arrange for a live meeting .Just forward me the link and i will show you what and where exactly the thing is going wrong. I would  request you to do the meeting today or tomorrow as i have a deadline to meet.

Regards,

Nitin
Kate
Telerik team
answered on 09 Apr 2012, 01:18 PM
Hello Nitin,

Before we can proceed any further we will need you to answer few questions:
  • Can you replicate the issue on our online demos ?
  • I attached a screenshot of how we create web test. Do you use the same approach to create your web test?
  • Do you use Test Studion as well?

Regards,
Kate
the Telerik team

Consider using RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX (built on top of the ASP.NET AJAX framework) as a replacement for the Telerik ASP.NET Classic controls, See the product support lifecycle here.

Nitin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Apr 2012, 02:15 PM
Hi Kate,

Answering your points:-
1) Yes i would be able to replicate the issue on our online demo.
2)I create the Web performance test i.e .webtest kind of test.
3) I tried doing on test Studio but as our application is mainly Pop up type so it was not able to perform the test and it was also not able to differntiate among various input fields .I wil show that in the demo as well.I am using the trial version of the test studio.

Please reply soon

Regards,

Nitin

Kate
Telerik team
answered on 12 Apr 2012, 03:11 PM
Hi Nitin,

We recorded a Web Performance test using two of our demos (for the RadTreeView and the RadComboBox controls) but we can not get any errors. You can take a look at the attached file. Can you modify it in a way that it demonstrates the error that you get? Further in order to help you out I would suggest that you open a support ticket where you can attach a screenshot of the error that you get along with the page that you are testing. Moreover, with the support ticket you get guaranteed timely response while in the forum we do not guarantee a response.  

Kind regards,
Kate
the Telerik team

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
David Cullen
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Cody
Telerik team
Soumyadyuti
Top achievements
Rank 1