This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Web Service via ASP.NET AJAX Q1 2008

1 Answer 57 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Robert Stevens
Top achievements
Rank 1
Robert Stevens asked on 27 Apr 2008, 05:17 PM
I am trying to follow the Self-Paced Tutorial (which has not been updated for ASP.NET AJAX Q1 2008) in the section "Lab: An AJAX Web Service".

I thought this Q1 2008 release was a direct replacement for the ASP.NET controls.  However, I can't find the RadAjaxServiceManager control.  This control is not provided in the Q1 2008 release.  In fact, I can't find any documentation that talks about web services in the Q1 2008 release.

Does the Q1 2008 release support web services?  Do I need to also install the ASP.NET Q3 2007 release to implement web services?  Can you point me to some documentation on this subject?  Thanks.

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Todd Anglin
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 28 Apr 2008, 02:59 PM
Robert-

Sorry for the confusion. You are correct on your first point: the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX are a replacement for the "classic" ASP.NET controls. The new controls are built directly on Microsoft's ASP.NET AJAX framework and take advantage of all the benefits the framework has to offer. Among the benefits is superior web service support.

At the framework level, ASP.NET AJAX provides very similar functionality to the RadAjaxServiceManager via the ScriptManager control. Due to this built-in support for handling web-services, the RadAjaxServiceManager was retired in the new suite. You can learn everything you need to know about using ASP.NET AJAX's built-in web service support here:

http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax/tutorial-05-cs.aspx

Some of the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX also provide direct support for binding to web services, so if that's something you're interested in, let me know. Otherwise, I hope this helps solve your problem.

-Todd
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Robert Stevens
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Todd Anglin
Top achievements
Rank 2
Share this question