This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS2017 crashing

2 Answers 64 Views
DropDownList
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jerry
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jerry asked on 10 Jan 2019, 01:42 PM

I created a new project, and added a RadDropDownList to the form. I went into the configuration of the DDL, and tried to add a new datasource to an accdb database.

I clicked <new data source>, selected SQL database as the type, named the source and clicked OK.

On the Choose data connection page, I selected new connection. In the next page, i selected Microsoft Access Database File, and the always use this selection checkbox was checked.

I clicked continue.

In the Add connection dialog, I clicked browse for my database file name, and selected the ACCDB. This database has no log in, so i cleared out the UserName of Admin.

At this point, no matter what I do - either click test connection or click OK, VS2017 crashes with no error, just "Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 has stopped working".

I have tried this multiple times with the same result.

Can someone help please?

Jerry

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Jerry
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Jan 2019, 02:22 PM

Does anyone have an answer for this?

If I code it manually in the ASPX it works, but then I cannot use the GUI to do anything to the page (add other items, etc.).

This is a serious hindrance!!!

Accepted
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 15 Jan 2019, 12:10 PM
Hi Jerry,

Does the problem happen with a standard <asp:DropDownList ID="ddl2" runat="server"></asp:DropDownList> which offers the same Choose Data Source wizard option as RadDropDownList?

Unfortunately we are not aware of such a problem, but you can check the VS2017 log file for more detailed error and share it in the forum.

The DataSource Configuration Wizard is not a Telerik implementation, but a wizard component provided by Microsoft, which the dropdownlist just reuses. The problem could be due to some Windows/Visual Studio update or occuring bug in the studio.

Best regards,
Rumen
Progress Telerik
Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and/or Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
Tags
DropDownList
Asked by
Jerry
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Jerry
Top achievements
Rank 1
Rumen
Telerik team