This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS2008 and Telerik

23 Answers 683 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
MB
Top achievements
Rank 1
MB asked on 01 Aug 2007, 01:09 PM
With VS2008 Beta-2 being available, and MS talking Go-Live... I'm now starting to consider the next dev platform.

As always, this is a step that involves a great deal of trepidation, so I'm just looking for feedback on what Telerik are experiencing and recommending for use of their controls with VS2008.

23 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 01 Aug 2007, 03:05 PM
Hi MB,

We have been testing RadControls compatibility with Visual Studio 2008 (codenamed "Orcas") since early builds of the IDE: http://telerikwatch.com/2007/06/second-look-radcontrols-in-orcas-beta-1.html

The community is happy to see that RadControls are mostly working as expected (with a few minor exceptions) in the new Visual Studio. Now that Beta 2 is out and Microsoft announces a stable and almost feature-complete release with a Go-Live license, we are going through complete tests of all features. So far all RadControls behave as expected and we are not facing any major problems or limitations. Once the QA team is ready with the full report we will have an official compatibility announcement on the website. You will see fixes to some of the compatibility issues as early as next Service Pack and all of them will be covered with the Q2 release in September.

As we did with VS2005, we will have official support of VS2008 just days after the IDE is publicly launched.

Best regards,
Stephen
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Per Holmqvist
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 13 Nov 2007, 06:09 PM
VS2008 and NET3,5 will be released already 27/11 this year.
I hope Telerik willl support VS2008 same days after that as stated.

And it is a nice surprise that it will be released 3 month before previous statement.
Ivo
Telerik team
answered on 15 Nov 2007, 04:21 PM
Hi Per Holmqvist,

Yes, we will officially support VS2008 shortly after the official release. We are already working on several key improvements which will be introduced with Q3 in mid-December.

Have you experienced any problems with RadControls in VS2008 so far? We have been testing the controls since early builds of the new IDE and have worked on all key changes introduced in VS2008.

Thank you for your interest and please stay tuned for our updates.

Best wishes,
Ivo
the Telerik team

Shaun Peet
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 20 Nov 2007, 07:58 PM
So far it appears that the Prometheus suite isn't working with VS 2008 that came out yesterday:

1) Installed VWD 2008 Express, auto-upgraded a .NET 2.0 project to .NET 3.5
2) Build & Run = the telerik AjaxManager can't find the asp:ScriptManager that is on the page.

I assume this is because the current Prometheus build is looking for the ASP.NET AJAX 1.0 dll, instead of looking for the ASP.NET AJAX built-into .NET 3.5.  However, when doing the auto-upgrade, VS 2008 automatically includes the bindingRedirect sections in the web.config that are supposed to auto-redirect the old AJAX 1.0 reference to the new AJAX 3.5 one.

Hopefully someone has figured this one out already.  There's some other weird stuff going on that I haven't been able to figure out yet either - but I can't even get past the first page so I'm starting here.

If I find the answer, I'll post it here as well.
Shaun Peet
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 20 Nov 2007, 08:11 PM
The other strange issue I was referring to was that my error page indicated the .NET 2.0 framework; not the .NET 3.5...so I figured something was up in the web.config that was confusing the compiler on which version of the framework to use.

I found all these assemblies in the <assemblies> tag of the web.config:

<add assembly="System.Design, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>

<add assembly="System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

<add assembly="Microsoft.mshtml, Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>

<add assembly="System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>

<add assembly="System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

<add assembly="System.Drawing, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>

<add assembly="System.Configuration, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>

Removing all of them and leaving just the new (default for 3.5) ones:

<add assembly="System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

<add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

<add assembly="System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

<add assembly="System.Data.DataSetExtensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

And the app worked like a charm!
Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 21 Nov 2007, 07:47 AM
Hello Shaun,

First of all, thanks for sharing the solution to the community.

It looks like the WebSite FW3.5 conversion does not add the binding redirects, so one can also create new 3.5 web site/web app and just copy the web.config into the converted site/application.

Other than that, the latest Prometheus RadControls v2007_2_1107 seem to work fine in VS2008 RTM. We started testing all the RadControls yesterday and the only major issue found so far is a problem with the Prometheus installer, which we will address as soon as possible.

Kind regards,
Konstantin Petkov
the Telerik team

Maveric
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 26 Nov 2007, 01:54 PM
Hi,

I have the same issue that Shaun but with a new blank project in VS2008
with Prometheus v2007_2_1107.
I try his solution but it didn't work for me.
Any idea ?

Maveric
Shaun Peet
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 26 Nov 2007, 07:41 PM
Is the following section contained in your web.config?

<runtime> 
    <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">  
      <dependentAssembly> 
        <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/>  
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0"/>  
      </dependentAssembly> 
      <dependentAssembly> 
        <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions.Design" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/>  
      </dependentAssembly> 
    </assemblyBinding> 
  </runtime> 

Shaun Peet
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 26 Nov 2007, 08:07 PM
It seems that $find() isn't working (returns 'null') in the following scenario:

• RadAjaxManager on a MasterPage
  • Dynamically-loaded UserControl calls client-side script using the ResponseScripts of the MasterPage's RadAjaxManager
  • That client-side script uses $find() to get the RadAjaxManager, and then calls AjaxRequest()
  • A different dynamically-loaded UserControl that implements IPostBackEventHandler executes server-side code to update itself

It worked like a charm in .NET 2.0 / VS 2005.

Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 27 Nov 2007, 07:02 AM
Hi Shaun,

There should be no difference regarding this with VS 2005 and 2008. How do you get RadAjaxManager instance? You will get 'null' in MasterPage if you get it like this: $find("RadAjaxManager1")

Find below a piece of code I just checked in VS 2008 MasterPage as well. The code is not inside ContentPlaceHolder.

<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager" runat="server" /> 
        <telerik:RadCodeBlock ID="RadCodeBlock1" runat="server"
            <script type="text/javascript"
                function ClickHandler() 
                { 
                    alert($find("<%= RadAjaxManager1.ClientID %>")); 
                } 
            </script> 
        </telerik:RadCodeBlock> 
        <telerik:radajaxmanager id="RadAjaxManager1" runat="server"
            <AjaxSettings> 
                <telerik:AjaxSetting AjaxControlID="btnDecrease"
                    <UpdatedControls> 
                        <telerik:AjaxUpdatedControl ControlID="TextBox1"></telerik:AjaxUpdatedControl> 
                    </UpdatedControls> 
                </telerik:AjaxSetting> 
            </AjaxSettings> 
        </telerik:radajaxmanager> 

Kind regards,
Konstantin Petkov
the Telerik team

Maveric
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 27 Nov 2007, 09:23 AM
Hi Shaun,

Yes, I Have the same section in my web config.
Is it a problem ?

Eric

<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1"
            <dependentAssembly> 
                <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/> 
            </dependentAssembly> 
            <dependentAssembly> 
                <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions.Design" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/> 
            </dependentAssembly> 
        </assemblyBinding> 
    </runtime> 

Maveric
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 27 Nov 2007, 10:36 AM
Hi,

This line is ok I think.
Now It works for me but I must add the Telerik.Web.UI.dll in the GAC
or it doesn't work. With this, VS 2008 add the below line when i put a component of prometheus in my page :
                <add assembly="Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2007.2.1107.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121FAE78165BA3D4"/> 

before it doesn't find in spite of this assembly is in the directory bin or in reference.
Perhaps it could help anyone.

Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 27 Nov 2007, 12:12 PM
Hi Maveric,

Thanks for posting about that.

Dragging Prometheus controls should not change the web.config adding such kind of entries and of course those can break the compilation. I checked that once again and noticed there are only two lines removed:

<add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/> 
                <add assembly="System.Design, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/></assemblies> 

But the application should be compiled with or without these lines when you have (automatically added) assembly bindings.

Anyway, I hope your observation will help others as well.

All the best,
Konstantin Petkov
the Telerik team

Maveric
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 27 Nov 2007, 01:05 PM
Hi Konstantin,

thanks for your answer.

I'll want to know what is normal and not normal and understand.

If I create a new asp web application I have the following line in my web.config :
          <assemblies> 
            <add assembly="System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/> 
            <add assembly="System.Data.DataSetExtensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/> 
            <add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/> 
            <add assembly="System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/> 
          </assemblies> 

If I add a  script manager on my page, no change.
If I add a prometheus  controls , it add the following lines in web.config :

<add assembly="Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2007.2.1107.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121FAE78165BA3D4"/> 
                <add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/> 
                <add assembly="Telerik.Charting, Version=1.6.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=D14F3DCC8E3E8763"/> 
                <add assembly="System.Design, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/> 

and in my page it added automatically the following line
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2007.2.1107.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4" 
    Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" TagPrefix="telerik" %> 

Is It the same for you or it's my configuration who made this change ?
What is the normal change if we dragging a prometheus control on a page for you.

thanks

Maveric
Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 27 Nov 2007, 01:29 PM
Hello Maveric,

It is expected to add page register directive if there is no such already added, but we have not noticed any situations where dragging Prometheus controls change the web.config the way as in your case.

We will need more information to be able to reproduce the problem. Does that happen with certain control only or with  all the Prometheus controls? Is this Web Site or Web Application? Have you set v3.5 or v2.0 Framework when created the site/application? Also, do you have System.Web.Extensions both v1.0 and v3.5 in GAC?

All the best,
Konstantin Petkov
the Telerik team

Maveric
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 27 Nov 2007, 02:26 PM
Below my answers :

It's with all prometheus controls
It's a Web Application but I try with a web site and it's the same, it' add the lines in web.config
I set 3.5 framework
I Have both System.web.extensions V1.0 and V3.5 in GAC

Maveric
Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 28 Nov 2007, 06:04 AM
Hello Maveric,

Thank you for the answers. Unfortunately there is nothing which could cause the problem. If you find anything else which could be related, please let us know.

Greetings,
Konstantin Petkov
the Telerik team

jrit
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Dec 2007, 06:50 AM
In using VS2008 RTM with Prometheus Q2 2007 I am finding that I'm getting design surface error boxes, the big gray ones with error text in them. It is related to any of these assemblies being missing or getting somehow removed from the GAC on the development machine. Pages may still build and run as long as the assemblies are in the bin, but VS2008 design support basically fails.

Need to have in GAC:
System.Web.Extensions v1.06 (may need to add manually)
System.Web.Extensions v3.5
Telerik.Web.Design
Telerik.Web.UI (may need to add manually)
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 07 Dec 2007, 08:14 AM
Hello uhpl508,

Can you please verify that you have reference to Telerik.Web.Design.dll in the /bin folder of your web site? Note that reference to this assembly should be added automatically when you reference the Telerik.Web.UI.dll. Verify that or place the assembly in the GAC along with the rest of the assemblies (if you prefer), restart your VS 2008 and reopen the project to see whether everything is OK.

Best regards,
Stephen
the Telerik team

jrit
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Dec 2007, 08:03 PM
Telerik.Web.Design.dll was already in the GAC and referenced correctly in the web.config. I have also tried placing it in the /bin without a reference to the GAC assembly, which doesn't seem to make a difference. What does seem to make a difference is that the Telerik.Web.UI is in the GAC even when I have it in the /bin and don't reference the GAC assembly. I've made so many incremental changes and restarted VS so many times that I can't say for sure whether I missed something, but I can say for sure that it doesn't behave like I'd expect. Throughout all these changes, code view of my .cs files is always fine and the assemblies are always showing up even when they don't seem to work on the design surface.

I did already reinstall VS and all the Telerik controls. I'm really unable to figure out what the problem is.
Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 10 Dec 2007, 11:41 AM
Hello uhpl508,

This kind of problems may occur if you have an old Telerik.Web.Design in GAC so that the new Telerik.Web.UI is unable to find the required one. Manually adding Telerik.Web.Design reference in your project should address the problem. If the web.config refers the old Design assembly you may need to update the file accordingly. I hope this helps.

If you still experience this problem, I will kindly ask you to submit regular support ticket to be able to send a small web application / web site along with the Web.UI and Web.Design .dll-s you use. Sending a screen capture from the GAC on your machine showing the exact version of involved assemblies can help as well, thank you!

All the best,
Konstantin Petkov
the Telerik team

Pierre
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
answered on 12 Dec 2007, 05:43 PM
Hi, i just uninstall the 3.5 Beta framwork and install the final 3.5 .net runtime. After change some minor element in my LINQ code, i start having error in the compilation process with the RadAjaxManager telling me that the assembly System.web.extention version1.0.61025.0 was not found. After checking in the windows/Assembly folder I cant see that i only have the new 3.5.0.0 version for this System.web.extention.

I try to use le <runtime> tag in the web.config to resolve the old assembly, without sucess.

Any suggestion?

Here a part of my web.config
configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">     
    <configSections>    
        <sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">     
            <sectionGroup name="scripting" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">     
                <section name="scriptResourceHandler" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>     
                <sectionGroup name="webServices" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingWebServicesSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">     
                    <section name="jsonSerialization" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingJsonSerializationSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="Everywhere"/>     
                    <section name="profileService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingProfileServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>     
                    <section name="authenticationService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingAuthenticationServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>     
                    <section name="roleService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingRoleServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>     
                </sectionGroup>    
            </sectionGroup>    
        </sectionGroup>    
        <sectionGroup name="telerik.web.ui">     
            <section name="radScheduler" type="Telerik.Web.UI.RadSchedulerConfigurationSection, Telerik.Web.UI, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication" requirePermission="false"/>     
        </sectionGroup>    
    </configSections>    

<runtime>    
    <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">     
      <dependentAssembly>    
        <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions" publicKeyToken="31BF3856AD364E35" culture="neutral" />    
        <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.61025.0"  newVersion="3.5.0.0"/>     
      </dependentAssembly>    
    </assemblyBinding>    
  </runtime>    

Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 13 Dec 2007, 09:16 AM
Hi Pierre,

It looks like you need Telerik.Web.UI built against FW 3.5, which we will provide with the new release expected in the beginning of the next week. There will be separate folder containing the same assemblies, which Prometheus installer will use in case of missing System.Web.Extensions 1.0 on client computers with v3.5 and VS 2008.

Please, excuse us for the temporary inconvenience.

Kind regards,
Author nickname
the Telerik team

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
MB
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Sebastian